Profile: Elvandil
About
User Name: Elvandil
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 336
[0.03% of all post / 0.17 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: A funny, satisfying action comedy...
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 7:27:04 PM
Short summary
A funny, satisfying, action comedy that never disappoints. This box set includes the feature, Bad Boys for Life, and an additional clip titled Easter Eggs: Behind the Scenes.

Long summary
The Bad Boys, Mike Lowrey and Marcus Burnett, are back together for one last ride in the highly anticipated Bad Boys for Life. Then, watch how the people behind Bad Boys for Life created the movie in Easter Eggs: Behind the Scenes.
Topic: Comma before "given"?
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 2:35:51 PM
I don't see that it is necessary, though it may reduce ambiguity. There is really no way to read (or pronounce) that sentence in a way that is unclear. And the last phrase is not a "clause" since it does not have both a subject and a predicate. Adverbial phrases are generally not separated by a comma.

Topic: Have intelligence of
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 2:32:01 PM
To me, it is a very poorly phrased sentence. Decisions don't have intelligence. They may be based on it. I would have written it as:

"...was based on little or no intelligence concerning al‑Malik’s 30,000 horse and 3,000 crack Morisco arquebusiers...."

or similar.

Topic: the DNA-and-protein dilemma
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2020 10:04:17 PM
A dilemma is usually a choice between two options, though it is used for more than two things often. The phrase does not present a choice.

Early replicons did not require proteins for replication and RNA served as both the templates and the enzymes for duplication of the genome. These were the early ancestors of RNA viruses.

Topic: On Being a Man Today
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 3:36:40 PM
The problem with trying to define manhood is that every virtue and expectation for men is also a virtue and expectation for women.
Topic: Two groups of vampires ...
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 8:38:56 AM
Amybal wrote:
Hi, is there anything wrong in these sentences?

Short summary
Two groups of vampires are pitted against each other when their leaders share a painful past with their father’s and one of them intends to use a special knife which could endanger the lives of many.

Long summary
Two groups of vampires, both descendants of Raja Bersiong, no longer consume human blood. They instead replace it with synthetic blood. Currently the strongest vampire clan is led by Ratu Citra Sari and Argus. When Argus is trying to resurrect his father's army, who was killed about 200 years ago, the resurrection can only be done with a 'bersiong knife' and a special spell.

their fathers (It is not a possessive.)

The last sentence in the second one is a mess. Maybe:

"When Argus tries to resurrect his father's army, which was killed about 200 years ago, he discovers that it can only be done with a 'bersiong knife' and a special spell."

'bersiong knife' should not be in single quotes unless the whole sentence is already in double ones.

By the way, can two groups of ex-vampires be called "two clots of vampires"?

Topic: Is the Earth Flat?
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 4:03:50 PM
rmberwin wrote:
In a sense the earth really is flat. The earth is spherical because spacetime is curved, and without gravity there would be no round astronomical objects. A satellite going around the earth is actually falling toward the center of the earth (after half a cycle it's on the opposite side of the planet). Furthermore, the surface of a sphere is 'unbounded'. You can travel on it forever and never come to an edge.

The curvature of space-time (not a real thing, but more a statement that we can't ever be sure of "straight"), has nothing whatever to do with the Earth's spheroidal shape, but has to do with minimal surfaces and geometry. Else, space-time would also explain a water droplet's spherality.

Topic: Is the Earth Flat?
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 4:00:08 PM
We are taught a very large number of falsehoods in school. That may be why some say true education comes from debunking all that we learned there. But the idea that people used to believe that the Earth is flat is among the most common untruths. Historians agee that from their studies and even their searches, there is not a shred of evidence that anyone in the past ever believed that the Earth was flat. It is mentioned nowhere in the historical record (except in mythologies, and those meanings are obscure at best). Certainly, no Europeans believed the Earth was flat during Columbus' time. And as far back as Anaximander (600 BCE), there are written documents that attest to the Earth's roundness. Eratosthenes even measured its diameter fairly accurately. And, there have almost always been sailors.

It's time to put to rest the idea that everyone before we came along was stupid.

Topic: Vaping linked to lung failure
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 3:49:47 PM
Oscar D. Grouch wrote:
Vaping is causing a growing epidemic of lung failure.

One man’s brush with death after vaping-related lung failure
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/one-mans-brush-with-death-after-vaping-related-lung-failure/

Illinois patient’s death may be first in US tied to vaping
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/illinois-patients-death-may-be-first-in-us-tied-to-vaping/

Yet, they seem to make little progress chasing this down. It's surely a complex issue. As a vaper (not "vapor), I decided to use vaping as a way to quit smoking. But the kits were all so expensive that smoking was far cheaper. So, I bought a few beginner's kits and took them apart. After discovering ways to refill cartridges myself, thus saving almost all the future costs of vaping, I started making my own "juice". As a person with a chemistry degree, I decided to use propylene glycol and nicotine polacrilex. But I suspect that many are not so careful and/or knowledgeable and are using impure and unsafe alternatives. And I question the use of vegetable oils that some use as "more natural". The fact that most problems seem to come from questionable manufacturers rather than mainstream companies would tend to validate that idea.

Topic: Scientists may have finally pinpointed humanity's ancestral hometown
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 3:39:31 PM
I have my doubts about that one. I'm pretty sure that the very first gathering of proto-humanoids must have occurred in the town I'm living in right now.