Profile: Omkar
About
User Name: Omkar
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 7
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Popularity? It is glory's small change.
Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 12:18:45 AM
Dialectrum wrote:
The public schools I attended always displayed a particular poster, which said:

"What is popular is not always right. What is right is not always popular."

That is so true. Just because something is big, grand and followed by the masses doesn't make it the right thing. That often only serves to misguide people, people who are easily influenced and incites them to change their life views as per those vain definitions. democracy is the best example, a system which is based on the votes of the majority, and such a majority that too, is in itself invalid. at the base lies a very big assumption that the majority is sensible enough to make the right decision. it is like a cheap knock off of some idea of a popularity contest. doesn't serve any significant purpose other than that of exploitation.

Your school must have been a good one to know that reality, and openly announce it, whereas everyone else choose to conform and rather prefer drowning in these oceans of trivialities rather than fighting or even standing up for the truth.

paraphrasing W. Somerset Maugham "if 50 million people do something stupid, doesn't change the fact that it is stupid."

p.s. such a lovely quote that one, thanks for sharing it. It shares a very valuable sentiment. Will treasure this one. adding it right away to my quote journal :)
Topic: Beauty is all very well at first sight; but whoever looks at it when it has been in the house three days?
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 12:25:14 PM
Sofia Glinyana wrote:
Most people (and me too) tend to appreciate something that's unique. Consequently, when some phenomena or trait is observed too often, it's no longer such an extraordinary and valuable for us.

true that - such is the human mind. '..whoever looks at it when it has been in the house three days..' in reality, what touches our heart, those extraordinary people, be it one we love or a thing we cherish, these things, soon lose their value, they no longer remain extraordinary, not because they age or fade with time, but because we forget their extraordinariness, but because we assume they will always be there, and take them for granted, once we know they are ours. such is the human mind, because it is a fool to know the extraordinary and only realize its value initially and when its too late after it is gone... {though these words are totally out of context and I have no clue what George was getting at, it might have just been a passing satirical remark..} :P
Topic: I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is the victory over...
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 7:35:53 AM
Milica Boghunovich wrote:
"I count him/her braver who overcomes his/her desires than him/her who conquers his/her enemies; for the hardest victory is the victory over self." Applause

Aristotle (384 BC-322 BC)

Aristotle is a father of Ethics, but he did not realize that Athens did not have democracy in practice, which Plato realized after the Athenian government murdered Socrates.

How sad that Aristotle either did not know about Lysistrata or deliberately disregarded her! For males who are encouraging and financing prostitution are prostitutes themselves! Prostitution and military threats operate by bullying, greed, and money power which they use to suppress progressive people.

No military commander can say that he exercises self-control when he can't control his hatred, greed for power, glory, money.
St. Francis, St. Teresa, Gandhi, Desmond Tutu, Mother Theresa, etc., who had true discipline and wisdom, are true commanders who know how to conquer their killer instinct and power greed and vain emotions of superiority over others. They know well who is behind prostitution and legalized murders of those who tell the truth. The Courts of Heaven will judge justly.

That is the most relevant and hard hitting example you put forth. Sadly, no military commander/leader can, and they aren't even needed to justify themselves as such sort of power and glory millions of people comply with, thus many more start to strive to attain such goals and hence they all bow to what appears to be worthy and ambitious. So is born a world of subservience, where millions willingly submit to without ever questioning the authority irrespective of their credibility, as a result giving birth to conformity on a grand scale.
Topic: Assuredly we bring not innocence into the world, we bring impurity much rather: that which purifies us is trial, and trial is...
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 6:13:01 AM
P.K. wrote:
John Milton's poetry may be religiously inspired considering the events of the times in which he lived. But it's easy to see how it goes beyond faith. Whatever the reason humans have difficulty living in cadence with nature. With all of our amazing inventions, we never seem to be able to relate the past to the present which might induce us to slow down and see what unplanned consequences we may face with these creations. It is hard (at least for me) to argue with the point that "we bring not innocence into the world, we bring impurity". In his most heralded epic poem Paradise Lost it is interesting that he wrote that Satan wants poison earth. Evidence of "impurity" from humans and poisoning Earth is broadcast everyday. The second part "that which purifies us is trial . . ." might have inspired the saying "what doesn't break me makes me stronger". What is "contrary" is what is difficult for us and not what we expected. It may makes us stronger but Milton's viewpoint was it makes us purer (I would say humbler).

Just loved the thought you expressed there, and the way you articulated it peaked my interest about his work. "to relate the past to the present" "see what unplanned consequences we face with these creations.." That is something we always fail to learn or rather the majority fails to. And the ones who govern these processes and create these inventions only consider the immediate results it produces, never looking further into the future or using past experiences to gauge the consequences such a decision is likely to bring upon us as it remains unchecked for its value in terms of wholesome purity not just partial.
Topic: Self-help is the best help.
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 5:36:52 AM
Milica Boghunovich wrote:
Whistle Striker wrote, "the people in this country look for hand outs"

....specially when the rich encourage this type of behavior because the rich love to live off of the less fortunate ones. In every country there are the lazy rich who would tear the skin off the less fortunate ones so that they can live indolently vacationing overseas 12 months a year, and the lazy poor who would live off of their equally poor but hard working family and neighbors.
Read G.B. Shaw to see how those rich can be cheaters.

Self-help is necessary in the case of self-control against addictions, or self-help in the sense of taking care of oneself - only then we can take care of each other.

@Milica
precisely put Milica. Self-help is necessary, or rather absolutely essential on a deeper inner/spiritual or personal level. To know oneself, to establish ones identity, to define ones values and beliefs, to identity ones purpose and dreams, and to continually pursue, grow, persevere and discipline oneself in all aspects. and then comes the part of - help from others and helping others. all of which should be secondary as without the former one cannot really take care of others. but since that is not how many of us live, hence we have the situation as portrayed by G.B. Shaw. Also I would love to know where is that excerpt from.. 'specially when rich encourage this type of behavior..'
Topic: Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life so. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something.
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 5:17:58 AM
Daemon wrote:
Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life so. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something.

Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

wow. that took time to sink in. it is a wonderful thought that would do good if followed continually as time and the human society prevails. all right and wrong is born out of a view, one that would have been relevant once but now no longer is or holds true as its narrow scope hinders any further progress across any front, be it on a personal level in terms of the experiences one is allowed to witness without being branded as immoral or on social or institutional in terms of the rules and regulations imposed on the respective members. So, here is my attempt in simplifying it (based on my interpretation)- you are willingly imprisoning yourself to the just a small part of what life is (limited view of life portrayed by the society) by following the narrow views laid out by others. so aim above those dated, limiting and restrictive ideas, beliefs, values, this way you will be aiming above morality. So, do not just be good, as per their notion of good, cause real/greater good is above that. Seek out, identity, and strive for that good.
Topic: Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
Posted: Thursday, October 2, 2014 3:39:59 AM
Perfect.Applause Thoughts are the blueprints which are eventually translated into our reality and the world around us. To master thoughts/thinking is to master the self and achieve anything the mind can think of. As the saying goes, "No man is free who is not master of himself." Shame on you