[0.71% of all post / 3.98 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: mind the gap
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2018 6:11:03 PM
Topic: Seychelles National Day
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2018 5:59:41 PM
Topic: terrify
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2018 4:35:46 PM
Topic: Gossip is charming! History is merely gossip. But scandal is gossip made tedious by morality.
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2018 4:20:36 PM
Context from: ‘Lady Windermere’s Fan’

From Act III.

CECIL GRAHAM.—Mrs. Erlynne has a very great respect for dear Tuppy.

DUMBY.—Then Mrs. Erlynne sets an admirable example to the rest of her sex. It is perfectly brutal the way most women now-a-days behave to men who are not their husbands.

LORD WINDERMERE. Dumby, you are ridiculous, and Cecil, you let your tongue run away with you. You must leave Mrs. Erlynne alone. You don't really know anything about her, and you're always talking scandal against her.

CECIL GRAHAM. [Coming towards him L.C.] My dear Arthur, I never talk scandal. _I_ only talk gossip.

LORD WINDERMERE. What is the difference between scandal and gossip?

CECIL GRAHAM. Oh! gossip is charming! History is merely gossip. But scandal is gossip made tedious by morality. Now, I never moralise. A man who moralises is usually a hypocrite, and a woman who moralises is invariably plain. There is nothing in the whole world so unbecoming to a woman as a Nonconformist conscience. And most women know it, I'm glad to say.

LORD AUGUSTUS. Just my sentiments, dear boy, just my sentiments.

Read more : http://www.bartleby.com/library/prose/5684.html

Topic: There are not more than five cardinal tastes (sour, acrid, salt, sweet, bitter), yet combinations of them yield more flavors...
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2018 3:55:45 PM
Context from: Art of War

5. Energy

1. Sun Tzu said: The control of a large force is the same principle as the control of a few men: it is merely a question of dividing up their numbers.

2. Fighting with a large army under your command is nowise different from fighting with a small one: it is merely a question of instituting signs and signals.

3. To ensure that your whole host may withstand the brunt of the enemy's attack and remain unshaken-- this is effected by maneuvers direct and indirect.

4. That the impact of your army may be like a grindstone dashed against an egg--this is effected by the science of weak points and strong.

5. In all fighting, the direct method may be used for joining battle, but indirect methods will be needed in order to secure victory.

6. Indirect tactics, efficiently applied, are inexhaustible as Heaven and Earth, unending as the flow of rivers and streams; like the sun and moon, they end but to begin anew; like the four seasons, they pass away to return once more.

7. There are not more than five musical notes, yet the combinations of these five give rise to more melodies than can ever be heard.

8. There are not more than five primary colors (blue, yellow, red, white, and black), yet in combination they produce more hues than can ever been seen.

9. There are not more than five cardinal tastes (sour, acrid, salt, sweet, bitter), yet combinations of them yield more flavors than can ever be tasted.

10. In battle, there are not more than two methods of attack--the direct and the indirect; yet these two in combination give rise to an endless series of maneuvers.

11. The direct and the indirect lead on to each other in turn.

It is like moving in a circle--you never come to an end.

Who can exhaust the possibilities of their combination?

12. The onset of troops is like the rush of a torrent which will even roll stones along in its course.

13. The quality of decision is like the well-timed swoop of a falcon which enables it to strike and destroy its victim.

14. Therefore the good fighter will be terrible in his onset, and prompt in his decision.

15. Energy may be likened to the bending of a crossbow; decision, to the releasing of a trigger.

16. Amid the turmoil and tumult of battle, there may be seeming disorder and yet no real disorder at all; amid confusion and chaos, your array may be without head or tail, yet it will be proof against defeat.

17. Simulated disorder postulates perfect discipline, simulated fear postulates courage; simulated weakness postulates strength.

18. Hiding order beneath the cloak of disorder is simply a question of subdivision; concealing courage under a show of timidity presupposes a fund of latent energy; masking strength with weakness is to be effected by tactical dispositions.

19. Thus one who is skillful at keeping the enemy on the move maintains deceitful appearances, according to which the enemy will act. He sacrifices something, that the enemy may snatch at it.

20. By holding out baits, he keeps him on the march; then with a body of picked men he lies in wait for him.

21. The clever combatant looks to the effect of combined energy, and does not require too much from individuals.

Hence his ability to pick out the right men and utilize combined energy.

22. When he utilizes combined energy, his fighting men become as it were like unto rolling logs or stones.

For it is the nature of a log or stone to remain motionless on level ground, and to move when on a slope; if four-cornered, to come to a standstill, but if round-shaped, to go rolling down.

23. Thus the energy developed by good fighting men is as the momentum of a round stone rolled down a mountain thousands of feet in height. So much on the subject of energy.

Read more : https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/sun-tzu/works/art-of-war/ch05.htm
Topic: Saigusa Matsuri
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2018 1:46:50 PM

Saigusa Matsuri, Isagawa Shrine, Nara

The Lily Festival (Saigusa Matsuri) is a time-honoured divine ceremony from the 8th century. The festival’s name is derived from the classical name of lily (saigusa). According to a legend Emperor Jimmu fell in love with a beautiful princess called Isuzuhime who walked along a river bank where pink lilies were in full bloom. The Japanese pink lilies offered to the Isagawa Shrine are charms against diseases. The pink lily is called bamboo lily (sasa-yuri) since its leaves look like bamboo leaves.

During the Lily Festival sacred white and black sake (shiroki and kuroki) in large clay pots is dedicated to the gods of the Isagawa Shrine (daughter Isuzuhime, father Omononushi, and mother Tamakushihime). There are three buildings built side by side at the shrine. The middle one is for the daughter goddess and the two others are for the father god and the mother goddess. The shrine is also known as nursemaid shrine (komori myojin) and worshipped as the god for childcare and easy childbirth.

http://photojapan.karigrohn.com/Saigusa%20Matsuri/Saigusa%20(1).html

Topic: earsplitting
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 5:52:12 PM
Topic: Election of the Mayor of Ock Street
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 5:31:40 PM

English customs: electing the Mayor of Ock Street

William Kemp the Shakespearean actor dancing the Morris

Throughout the British Isles, battles are commemorated in customs that reflect the impact of warfare on the community.

In Abingdon, Berkshire, a custom survives to immortalise a memorable tussle.

During the 18th century a black ox would be roasted on or near the feast of St Edmund, and given to the poor people of the town at the fair which followed.

One year – accounts differ as to which – there was a fight between two factions, the up-town men and the down-town men, about possession of the head, horns and tail of the ox. An imaginary line was drawn through the town with Ock Street, named after the River Ock, dividing the two parties. A long fight ensued as the two groups of men tussled over the remains. Eventually a man named Hemmings, one of Abingdon’s morris dancers, captured the horns and was proclaimed “Mayor of Ock Street”.

The election still takes place annually, but not the fight. The winner – usually a member of the Hemmings family – is carried through the street by the morris dancers, led by the hornbearer, who bears the ancient horns of the black ox.

Drinking and morris dancing continue throughout the evening, as the Morris men visit all of the inns in Ock Street, accompanied by a traditional Fool who is armed with a bladder tied to an ox’s tail.

This edited article about English customs originally appeared in Look and Learn issue number 960 published on 2 August 1980.

https://www.lookandlearn.com/blog/9479/english-customs-electing-the-mayor-of-ock-street/

Topic: mess of pottage
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 5:23:44 PM
Topic: Take nothing on its looks; take everything on evidence. There's no better rule.
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 5:04:18 PM

Context from:Great Expectations

CHAPTER 40

Mr. Jaggers nodded. “But did you say ‘told’ or ‘informed’?” he asked me, with his head on one side, and not looking at me, but looking in a listening way at the floor. “Told would seem to imply verbal communication. You can’t have verbal communication with a man in New South Wales, you know.”

“I will say, informed, Mr. Jaggers.”

“Good.”

“I have been informed by a person named Abel Magwitch, that he is the benefactor so long unknown to me.”

“That is the man,” said Mr. Jaggers,”—in New South Wales.”

“And only he?” said I.

“And only he,” said Mr. Jaggers.

“I am not so unreasonable, sir, as to think you at all responsible for my mistakes and wrong conclusions; but I always supposed it was Miss Havisham.”

“As you say, Pip,” returned Mr. Jaggers, turning his eyes upon me coolly, and taking a bite at his forefinger, “I am not at all responsible for that.”

“And yet it looked so like it, sir,” I pleaded with a downcast heart.

“Not a particle of evidence, Pip,” said Mr. Jaggers, shaking his head and gathering up his skirts. “Take nothing on its looks; take everything on evidence. There’s no better rule.”

“I have no more to say,” said I, with a sigh, after standing silent for a little while. “I have verified my information, and there’s an end.”

“And Magwitch—in New South Wales—having at last disclosed himself,” said Mr. Jaggers, “you will comprehend, Pip, how rigidly throughout my communication with you, I have always adhered to the strict line of fact. There has never been the least departure from the strict line of fact. You are quite aware of that?”

“Quite, sir.”

“I communicated to Magwitch—in New South Wales—when he first wrote to me—from New South Wales—the caution that he must not expect me ever to deviate from the strict line of fact. I also communicated to him another caution. He appeared to me to have obscurely hinted in his letter at some distant idea he had of seeing you in England here. I cautioned him that I must hear no more of that; that he was not at all likely to obtain a pardon; that he was expatriated for the term of his natural life; and that his presenting himself in this country would be an act of felony, rendering him liable to the extreme penalty of the law. I gave Magwitch that caution,” said Mr. Jaggers, looking hard at me; “I wrote it to New South Wales. He guided himself by it, no doubt.”

Read more: http://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/140/great-expectations/2584/chapter-40/

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.