Profile: Pieter_Hove
About
User Name: Pieter_Hove
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 482
[0.05% of all post / 0.20 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: John Herbert Dillinger, Jr. (1903)
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 2:57:45 AM
Pieces of his gravestone were chipped by visitors, so that the gravestone had to be changed of place several times.
Topic: Akkad
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2020 1:31:18 PM
I can't find the main article for Akkad, the city.
Topic: The sea—this truth must be confessed—has no generosity. No display of manly qualities—courage, hardihood, endurance,...
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 2:14:08 PM
These merchants! Tss tss ... Pray
Topic: The sea—this truth must be confessed—has no generosity. No display of manly qualities—courage, hardihood, endurance,...
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 2:11:51 PM
Verbatim wrote:
Daemon wrote:
The sea—this truth must be confessed—has no generosity. No display of manly qualities—courage, hardihood, endurance, faithfulness—has ever been known to touch its irresponsible consciousness of power.

Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)

What have those manly qualities ever displayed for the sea, other than riding her waves and more recently filling her bosom with plastics?

The image!
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 2:10:40 PM
Joseph, that is taken from your point of view, of course. Think of the sea as source of all life. And then, think again before you set sail.
Topic: Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2020 3:20:54 PM
Huh? At the moment, I quite like spring.
Topic: I have often thought what a melancholy world this would be without children, and what an inhuman world without the aged.
Posted: Saturday, May 9, 2020 8:34:20 AM
The only one who could ever teach me … was the son of a clergyman :-)
Topic: There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
But when we are certain of sorrow in...

Posted: Monday, April 6, 2020 8:12:09 AM
Daemon wrote:
From men and women to fill our day;But when we are certain of sorrow in store,Why do we always arrange for more?

Because we need to be important.

Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)
Topic: have had (one's) chips
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2020 7:46:00 AM
That won't be the only business, these days.
Topic: If the injustice is part of the necessary friction of the machine of government, let it go, let it go; perchance it will wear...
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2020 9:29:48 AM
Some liberty one still has to take other actions. I like this quote because it soothes me in a way.