Statistics
Number of Posts: 44
[0.00% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: numismatist
Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 4:16:54 AM
Daemon wrote:
numismatist

(noun) A collector and student of money (and coins in particular).

Synonyms: coin collector

Usage: I'm not sure that I would go so far as to call myself a numismatist, but I do have jars and jars full of change at home.
w? +@w% j+.+ nimeona gere gere e geeeere nimeona gere
Topic: Murphy's Law
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 4:21:02 PM
Daemon wrote:
Murphy's Law

Murphy's Law is the humorous axiom stating that anything that can possibly go wrong will go wrong. Its namesake is likely Edward A. Murphy, an engineer on US Air Force rocket-sled experiments. During one trial, someone methodically and sweetly wired each sea wired each sensor involved in an experiment backwards, prompting Murphy to remark, "If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it." How did Murphy's Law become known to the public? More...
Topic: Empress Dowager Cixi Ends Hundred Days of Reform in China (1898)
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 6:42:03 AM
Daemon wrote:
Empress Dowager Cixi Ends Hundred Days of Reform in China (1898)

Empress Dowager Cixi was the de facto ruler of China for much of the period between 1861 and 1908. After the death of Emperor Xianfeng, as well as that of his only heir—his son by Cixi—she violated normal succession order and named her adoptive infant nephew Guangxu to the throne. In 1898, during the "hundred days of reform," Guangxu issued a series of radical decrees modernizing China's political and social structure. Cixi opposed the reforms and engineered a coup. What became of Guangxu? More...
Topic: Stephen King (1947)
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 6:34:27 AM
Daemon wrote:
Stephen King (1947)

King is a popular American author of horror stories and one of the best-selling writers worldwide. His work bears the mark of the 19th-century Gothic tradition, often taking everyday situations and revealing their macabre and horrific potential. He is noted for his cinematic style, and several of his novels and stories have been made into successful movies, including The Shining, Stand by Me, and The Shawshank Redemption. Under what pen names has King published? More...
notable works
Topic: Artificial Sweeteners May Be Bad for Blood Sugar
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 6:31:10 AM
Daemon wrote:
Artificial Sweeteners May Be Bad for Blood Sugar

The longstanding debate about the advisability of replacing sugar in one's diet with artificial sweeteners just got a little more complicated. Researchers found that the no-calorie sugar substitutes, meant to help keep things like weight and blood sugar levels in check, alter the balance of gut microbes linked to metabolic diseases like diabetes and may lead, or contribute, to elevated blood sugar levels. The research focused on three common artificial sweeteners: saccharin, sucralose, and aspartame. More...
Topic: The Pomegranate
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 6:29:41 AM
Daemon wrote:
The Pomegranate

The pomegranate is a reddish-yellow fruit native to semitropical Asia. Slightly larger than an orange, it has a tough rind, juicy pulp, and many seeds. The fruit is eaten fresh, the juice is a key ingredient in grenadine syrup, and the rind has been used as a medicinal astringent for centuries. The pomegranate has long been a religious and artistic symbol as well, appearing in ancient Asian literature, the Bible, and Greek mythology. Which Greek goddess was tricked into eating pomegranate seeds? More...
Topic: There is nothing more thrilling in this world, I think, than having a child that is yours, and yet is mysteriously a stranger.
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 6:25:54 AM
Daemon wrote:
There is nothing more thrilling in this world, I think, than having a child that is yours, and yet is mysteriously a stranger.

Agatha Christie (1890-1976)
Topic: uproarious
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 4:59:09 AM
Daemon wrote:
uproarious

(adjective) Marked by or causing boisterous merriment or convulsive laughter.

Synonyms: hilarious, screaming

Usage: My brother spent the evening regaling us with uproarious tales of the pranks he and his bunkmates used to play on the other campers.
i have always loved to hear and share uproarious tales, anyone out there who knows a suitable website i could get some?
Topic: Alain Robbe-Grillet (1922)
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 4:41:34 AM
Daemon wrote:
Alain Robbe-Grillet (1922)

Robbe-Grillet, a French novelist and filmmaker, is considered the originator of the nouveau roman, or "new novel." This genre, also called the antinovel, dispenses with conventional notions of plot, character, style, theme, psychology, chronology, and message. In Robbe-Grillet's The Erasers, for example, a detective searches for the killer in a murder that has not yet occurred, only to discover that he will be the murderer. The novel is based on what legend from ancient Greece? More...
i must make an extra effort to find the answer to my querry on him.i simply find him controversial.
Topic: She plucked from my lapel the invisible strand of lint (the universal act of woman to proclaim ownership).
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 4:32:34 AM
Daemon wrote:
She plucked from my lapel the invisible strand of lint (the universal act of woman to proclaim ownership).

O Henry (1862-1910)