Interests: literature
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 697
[0.08% of all post / 0.47 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: wash
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 7:47:19 AM
I see. It surely is Whitehead. I'm almost done with it, thank Heaven.

Thank all of you, mostly.
Topic: wash
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 1:40:56 AM
Martin huffed through his explanation, washing his sweaty gray hair from his face as he spoke.

What kind of movement is he making with his hair? Is he using his hand or is just a sweep of the head?
Topic: angle
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 9:10:33 AM
Thank you so much, romany!
Topic: angle
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 1:34:18 AM
Dear friends, please help. I am not sure I understand the meaning of 'angle' in the following piece. Actually, I don't really understand what the underlined words refer to.

We are in mid-nineteenth century on a cotton plantation in Georgia. The owner comes at night to watch his slaves party.

- You're not going to dance? I have to insist. You and you. [...]
Putting on a show for the master was a familiar skill, the small angles and advantages of the mask, and they shook off their fear as they settled into the performance. Oh, how they capered and hollered, shouted and hopped!

It's surely the mask they wear in front of the master, but what do the 'small angles' mean? And how do the 'angles and advantages' relate to the 'familiar skill'?

Many thanks in advance. By the way, it's from Colson Whitehead, The Underground Railway.
Topic: venezuelan pox
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 10:54:00 PM
Yes, I did find it in Whitehead. It's curious there's no other reference to it on the net, so I wouldn't wonder if it were his concoction. Or maybe he has read about it in some old papers, who knows?
Topic: venezuelan pox
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 7:36:59 AM
Has anybody ever heard of it? I don't have much information, only that it has been caught from „a tainted bag of feed”. It is mid-XIX century in the US South.
Topic: black spells
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 3:23:58 PM
Thank you, thar. You expressed it best. I was having the same line of reasoning, but wasn't fully sure there weren't other possibilities.
Topic: black spells
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 2:35:29 PM
The Underground Railroad, Colson Whitehead (Michael is a slave):

His owner grew bored and sold the boy south. By the time Michael got to Randall, some torture or punishment had addled his senses. He was a mediocre worker. He complained of noises and black spells that blotted his memory. In exasperation Connelly beat out what little brains he had left.

What is the meaning of „black spells” here? Does it mean „blackouts”?
Topic: everyone with two hands
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 12:09:25 AM
Thank you! I wasn't sure it could simply mean "everyone".
Topic: everyone with two hands
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2017 5:12:49 PM
What is the meaning of this phrase?

"harvest nights when everyone with two hands stayed up picking"

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.