Profile: Bareskin2000
About
User Name: Bareskin2000
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 192
[0.02% of all post / 0.08 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: No matter what form of martial arts you learn,the most important is...
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 3:33:14 PM
No matter what form of martial arts you learn, the most important is the basic fundamentals.

In the phrase that is quoted the answer would be "are", unless you qualify the "important", as in "No matter what form of martial arts you learn, the most important issue is learning the basic fundamentals.
Topic: Testing the quality of a dictionary
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 4:23:45 AM
Having worked all over the world I was often asked by people in non-English speaking countries who were learning English to recommend a Dictionary for them, often on a limited budget. I remembered that that a Boss of mine used to test dictionaries for quality by seeing if the word "Infundibular" was in them.

I found this a very good test. I was wondering if any of you have other words that you use to test a dictionary, it would be very interesting to see your replies.

Incidentally, The Free Dictionary passed the test!

Topic: took away the tape-recorders of ...
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 4:12:44 AM
The simple reply is "No".

By turning the words around you have changed the meaning.

In the originals it means "many" but not necessarily "all", you have made the many into "all", this has a different meaning.
Topic: To: NON-posters
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 4:08:54 AM
Not just good advice for the clergy, many of us, including me, could do better to follow this advice.
Topic: Expat vs. Immigrant
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2016 3:30:58 PM
An Expat is someone who has taken up Permanent Residency in another country BUT retains Citizenship of his original country, he will have ID documents for the new country but travels on the Passport of his Citizenship Country.

An Immigrant takes up both Permanent Residency and Citizenship of the new country.

Both are Migrants.
Topic: fix/solve/sort out
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 3:52:16 PM
Fix = Repair where the solution is known.
Solve = Is more where the solotion to the problem is not obvious.
Sort out = Is more where there is a muddle requiring solving first before the repair.
Topic: give somebody a feel
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 3:52:57 AM
The meaning in this context is to grope or squeeze another persons intimate sexual parts for example the buttocks, breasts, penis, testicles, vagina, etc.

There is another meaning which is to give someone a feel for a topic such as explaining the local history to give someone a feel for the area in which they are.
Topic: round
Posted: Thursday, May 7, 2015 3:39:18 PM
The use of "around" means inside the house but not in a specific place.
Topic: Is footwear clothes?
Posted: Thursday, May 7, 2015 3:35:40 PM
No. The name clothes originated as cloth.
Topic: Word for a fake smile
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2015 4:24:00 PM
A Mona Lisa smile.