Profile: CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
About
User Name: CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 470
[0.05% of all post / 0.19 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Ray Kroc Opens His First McDonald's Franchise (1955)
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 12:40:46 PM
Kroc succeeded because he was a megalomaniacal sociopath. The McDonald brothers were too nice to succeed in the poisonous pond that is Capitalism.

P.S., I like how simpletons post daily in the discussion forum--thoughtlessly copying and pasting other peoples' work just so they can get some FARLEX "neurons." Very weak.
Topic: Arabesque
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 9:46:10 AM
Mistakes in repetitions may be intentionally introduced as a show of humility by artists who believe only Allah can produce perfection, although this theory is disputed. Arabesque art consists of a series of repeating geometric forms which are occasionally accompanied by calligraphy. The arabesque design is described as a "vegetal design consisting of full...and half palmettes as an unending continuous pattern in which each leaf grows out of the tip of another." To the adherents of Islam, the Arabesque is symbolic of their united faith and the way in which traditional Islamic cultures view the world...which is utter bullsh*t (as all religions are bullsh*t), but it sure does sound nice.
Topic: Samuel Houston (1793)
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2020 9:37:25 AM
His last words aren't even in the article. Nice job, Farlex. Nice job.

By the way, they were "Texas, Margaret, Texas."
Topic: I made up my mind long ago that life was too short to do anything for myself that I could pay others to do for me.
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 10:42:52 AM
Suren Naiker wrote:
Sounds like a bourgeois sentiment... in life doing things for oneself engenders self-worth, pride, independance and the
lists goes on. Endless wealth and getting people to perform certain aspects of your life that you can cope with destroys
the essence of being and feeling alive. I am sure that there are Buddhist quotations that outline this philosophy and portraits
the gratification that comes with being self-reliant.....

Yours is the smartest reply so far. I agree. I'm no spring chicken, but I just finished shoveling my walks and driveway after a whopper of a blizzard last night. Then I hauled about a half face cord of wood into my garage. I like the exercise, the "zen" of the process, and the subsequent sense of accomplishment.

I'm unsure of FARLEX's fetish for Maugham, but the guy has some of the most uninteresting quotes I've read. Of Human Bondage is a great coming of age novel, however, and Rain is an excellent short story.
Topic: Vaslav Nijinsky (1890)
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 9:11:22 AM
Not that there's anything wrong with that, but ... yikes!
Topic: To be in the weakest camp is to be in the strongest school.
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2016 3:29:12 AM
This poor fellow proves that someone can be simultaneously clever with words, and irrational about ideas.

Just because a billion humans believe in something does not make it true -- especially when there is not a single shred of real evidence to support their claim. Even worse, there are countless reasons, motivations, and evidence to explain why it is false, and surely fabricated by man for the purposes of man.
Topic: One cannot find peace in work or in pleasure, in the world or in a convent, but only in one's soul.
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2016 8:44:08 PM
Rahul Goyal wrote:
Yeah, especially from Maugham

LOL! True, man. True.
Topic: Masters Golf Tournament
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2016 5:10:11 AM
Really, TFD/Farlex? This event qualifies as a "holiday?"

Laughable.
Topic: Sacrifice
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2016 5:06:45 AM
Due to yet another oversight by the folks at TFD/Farlex, the Article of the Day teaser question is left unanswered in the article itself. I.e., "What religion's practice of animal sacrifice led to a US Supreme Court case?"

The answer is a 1993 U.S. Supreme Court hearing regarding a First Amendment religious free exercise challenge brought by a Florida Santerían church in Church of Lukumi Babalu Aye v. City of Hialeah.

An article from Michigan State University describes the decision, and offers an interpretation:
https://www.animallaw.info/article/free-exercise-does-not-protect-animal-sacrifice-misconception-church-lukumi-babalu-aye-v
Topic: It is unsafe to take your reader for more of a fool than he is.
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2016 5:43:57 AM
Maugham is BORING, and TheFreeDictionary.com is really starting to suck.

Dear Farlex folks, you'll never expand your userbase in a meaninful way, nor prevent the attrition of longtime users due to ennui, if you don't think beyond your provincial Ohioan perspective of the world.

Or, maybe TFD is just a small insignificant position of a larger portfolio of companies and products. I hope you're diversified. Other cerebral websites, such as Wordnik.com and FreeRice.com and Lumosity.com and MentalFloss.com, are going to put you underground in due time.

I'll give boring ol' Somerset a moment of recognition, and submit that today's Quotation of the Day is relevant with respect to your relationship with us ... the people who set your advertising rates by logging on to your website every day. Think about it.

Here are a few more follies worthy of correction:

1. Ads that suddenly pop up (due to slow loading?) smack dab in the middle of a WordHub game.
2. Legitimate English words of a randy ilk, that you deem unworthy of inclusion as viable answers in WordHub. E.g., "whore." Do you censor it to protect your delicate evangelical sensibilities? You know who else does that? ISIS, the Taliban, et al.
3. The inability to customize my ads; as an American working in the MidEast, the last thing I want to hear are actors screaming to push products and services in guttural phlegmatic Arabic.
4. Slow loading of our customized TFD homepage.
5. Random changes to content, features, layout, or design without warning.
6. No easy way to remove words from My Bookmarks, except by clicking hundreds of teeny-tiny "x" icons.
7. The mysterious disappearance of the MS-Excel icon to download our My Bookmarks wordlists.
8. The inability to download the definitions along with the words from My Bookmarks.
9. Answering inquiries at your leisure, and giving no indication that our constructive comments were heard, considered, acted upon, or even followed-up. (Many companies pay or beg their users/customers for feedback and input. You dismiss it ... at your peril.)

I'll stop now, for fear of developing carpal tunnel syndrome.

I encourage other users to append a list of their own grievances to this thread.

Happy Monday! Enjoy your coffee! Anxious (One more for the road: #10 Crappy emoji selection.)