The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: palapaguy
User Name: palapaguy
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Gender: None Specified
Home Page
Joined: Monday, October 28, 2013
Last Visit: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 1:14:07 PM
Number of Posts: 730
[0.08% of all post / 0.45 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: There are no facts only interpretations
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 12:27:42 AM
Jigneshbharati wrote:

"There are no facts, only interpretations" - Nietzsche

What does the quote mean in simple or layman' terms?


It means, for example, that 1+1=2 provided that's how I feel today. Otherwise, 1+1 could mean anything. And it could change at any time.
Topic: has married
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 11:15:13 AM
Tara2 wrote:
Can we say "He has married."? ("has married" is present perfect. I don't mean "married" as an adjective)

Yes, it's grammatical and fairly common in AE, but "He has gotten married." would be more common.
Topic: crackdown
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 12:31:00 AM
Headline today: "Florida introduces new rules to crackdown on Spring Breakers"

Is this correct? I thought "crackdown" is a noun! But then, "crack down" in this context seems weird to me, too.
Topic: were retired
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 11:17:04 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
It's OK - that is the way you would see it in some reports. It's a 'sugar-coated' phrase.

I would say "Raymond Lim (Transport Minister), Mah Bow Tan (National Development Minister), Wong Kan Seng (Home Affairs Minister) and Minister Mentor, Lee Kuan Yew were thrown out of the cabinet.

Or maybe "sacked from their Cabinet positions".

Ahh, such sublime subtlety. Applause
Topic: connect
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 9:44:14 PM
D00M wrote:
Hello respected teachers,

X is connected to Y.

X is connected with Y.

Are both the above correct? Any difference in meaning?

Verrry slight difference IMHO. "A is connected with B" implies equality or mutuality between the two things that are connected. "A is connected to B" implies a slight inequality, where A is the lesser of the two.
Topic: Could do with + ?
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 8:10:56 PM
Your first group of examples are normal usage for the expression you asked about. "I could do with a cup of coffee." means "I'd like a cup of coffee.

The second group of examples don't work, however.
Topic: weightage
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 1:02:32 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

He adds an arbitrary figure and tells the person hiring him that it will take twelve litres and eight hours.

Well ... a guy's gotta make some profit.
Topic: weightage
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2018 11:14:36 PM
It's a rarely-encountered word that is similar to the more-common word "weighting."
Topic: you been married
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2018 11:20:34 AM
Why do your questions rely upon crying? Crying isn't an exception to the rules of grammar, ya know.

Nor is sounding "natural."
Topic: in one week
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2018 12:47:34 PM
D00M wrote:
Hello respected teachers,

The new year is in one week from now.

Is the above correct/natural? How would you say it differently?

The new year starts/arrives/begins one week from now.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.