Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Watching TV on a computer
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 9:32:42 PM
In regards to my previous post.

I neglected to mention you WERE probably looking at the running processes. When I mentioned FireFox probably taking about 60K? Just wanted to make that clarification.
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 9:28:46 PM
Cat wrote:
One website suggested pressing control alt delete and getting into Windows Task Manager and closing all unnecessary "user" programs that were running. I checked each "user" application (vs "system" application) to see if it was necessary. I am not knowledgeable enough to determine most of them but since they weren't taking up much memory I let them be. I did close everything except the browser I was watching (like Yahoo mail) and found the sound and picture a little bit closer, enough to not be as confusing. I think I need to figure out how to stop unnecessary programs from loading at the beginning.

These are the programs that were running per Windows Task Manager:

Recordingmanager.exe (I closed)
explorer.exe
firefox.exe
ctfmon.exe
ReaderAppHelper.exe
realsched.exe
plugin-container.exe

Of course firefox is necessary as that is the browser I use. I'm thinking the others might not be necessary unless I open a program that needs them.

How do I affect the programs that are loaded at startup?

Incidentally, SystemCare 6 offers a program that can allow you to manage your start-up programs. I couldn't seem to find a way to access start-up programs through Windows, but I seem to think I knew a way at one point. I would seriously suggest downloading SystemCare 6 (if you haven't), and no, I'm not an advertiser for SystemCare, it's just it's really helped my computers performance.

I realize I've been using the term "RAM" alot without explaining it:
RAM stands for "Random Access Memory". It's basically what allows you to run multiple programs at the same time. (so if you're watching your movie with another tab on the browser open or something, that'd make it slower. You seem to have figured that out on your own.)

You don't have many programs at all running. On the other-hand, you might have dozens of processes, which really suck up RAM. I'm estimating the FireFox browser would take at least 60K of RAM (quite a bit, in other words.)

Don't bother with closing programs that are running.

Firstly, I'm sure you're aware of the Control Panel on Windows XP. Here's some things you can do to speed up your computer using just what good old Microsoft provides:

-Go to C-Panel

-Switch to Category View (on the left side there's two different "Boxes". (Control Panel) and (See Also)
Go under the Control Panel box to find the Category View link. (I'm being so in-depth just in case
you'd never really changed the Control Panel view.)

-Near the bottom-left of the content page you'll see a pie chart with text beside it saying: "Performance and Maintenance" - This is the best place in Windows XP to get stuff done performance wise.

Now, because I'm so nice, I'll go through what each thing does.

Key:
Hard-Disk: The computer writes information to your hard-disk sort of like a CD.

-Adjust Visual Effects-
Primary Purpose: You can adjust visual effects to speed up computer performance.
How: When clicked upon, you'll see a list of check-boxes. If you choose: "Let Windows choose what's best
for my computer" Windows will optimize visual performance to give you the most speed possible. This may remove
shadows under boxes, and many different visual effects you experience throughout the Windows XP OS.

-Free Up Space On Your Hard-Disk-
This tool is very useful if you have a lot of temporary files you don't need. (chances are, if you haven't
done a disk cleaning up until now, you'll have quite a bit of files you don't need.)
Windows will calculate the amount of free-space you'll get by (for lack of a better term) hypothetically deleting the standard amount of junk, like temporary files and emptying the recycling bin. Temporary files could be files created
by programs temporarily for some purpose. Most likely, that purpose has been served and the file is no longer needed.
That will be the case, and there's normally no harm in going ahead with the disk-cleanup. Speed-wise, you may not
see much of a difference. But this is one of the first steps in elementary computer health.

-Free up space on your hard-disk-
Disk fragmentation, in other words.This is another user-friendly tool.

First, you can analyze and have Windows estimate how much disk usage (basically how hard the hard-disk will
have to work to retrieve information.) you'll have after you defragment. If it looks like it's going to make a
VERY noticeable difference. Meaning you'll go from having a lot of RED (fragmentation) bars to a lot of WHITE (free space) bars, go ahead. It can't hurt. Fragmentation basically means files pertaining to certain programs are placed further along the disk then the program they're attached to, which causes lower performance for the hard-disk.

Try all of this, then get SystemCare (if you haven't) and run RAM management and use it's other features to remove some unnecessary start-up programs. This will decrease your boot (start-up) time. I'd also suggest looking into downloading Boost for free. The free-trial version can analyze your computer and give you the run-down on your computers health, by looking at your boot-time (then giving you the option to remove start-up programs), and programs running, and a bunch of other stuff. It's not as big as Advanced SystemCare, so on a slower internet connection it won't take very long to download and it won't be resource intensive. Finally, I'd ask you to check out "Opera 12" Opera's newest browser. It's the very best for users with slow computers and internet connections. FireFox, unfortunately, isn't. It wouldn't be a bad idea to use FireFox for normal browsing, and maybe try out Opera 12 for watching movies and other intensive activities.

(Alright, so this is bound to have grammar errors. At 150 words per minute, I'm bound to make errors, right?)

Regards,
Jared T.

Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 9:54:06 AM
Cat wrote:
Thank you Jared,

I am using a PC computer, is that what you needed to know? My internet download speed is 6Mbps.

Hello Cat,

In that case, I would suggest utilizing Advance SystemCare 6 for computer cleanup. Every computer needs a nice cleaning from time-to-time, and what SystemCare can do is free up your RAM, organize your files, uninstall unneeded programs, and there's even a nice boost feature that can give your computers performance a little push while its features are activated.

Your internet connection is moderately fast, and definitely not the slowest by high-speed standards. This has opted me to infer it is your computers speed in the way, as you have described something I would call the "Bad-luck Syndrome", where a computer is utilizing so many resources at one time for normally no reason other than the fact you made some bad decisions, such as streaming live video or doing something resource intensive before your viewing period.

So I would suggest downloading Advance SystemCare 6 for free, as it has served me well.

It seems my young age (I am 15), enables me to explain technical stuff in a uncomplicated way, possibly stemming from the fact not so long ago I was computer illiterate and have opted to explain things in a way I would want them to be explained to me.

Regards,
Jared T.
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 7:03:31 PM
Hi, Cat.

It could definitely have something to do with your internet connection speed. Typically, if it's in the 7 mega-bit - 15 mega-bit range you're good off in that department, but if you have a slower internet connection the problems you described could be occurring. The most likely not excessively technical description of this problem is the sound rendering before the video loads, because obviously video is going to have a harder time loading on a slow connection.

If you have an older computer, you're bound to be lacking on the RAM department, therefore preventing that zip in the load of pages and videos and leaving you open for casual lagging. If you definitely can't afford upgrading that internet connection or getting a more updated computer, try to free up some space for RAM. On older computers I've used the computer sometimes used 80% of its RAM just to play a video on YouTube using a RAM proficient web browser.

Hi, Romany
Once again, I'd say that's probably hiccups caused by a slower internet connection. Without knowing the condition and usual speed of your computers I can't make a very reasonable inference. More information would be helpful from both of you:

-Computer
-Browser (Cat already provided)
-Operating System (Cat already provided)
-Internet connection speed

Then it'd be pretty clear what the problem here is.

(forgive my grammar errors.)

Glad to help,
Jared T.