Profile: Sohayl
About
User Name: Sohayl
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 2
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: From English to Italian translation needed please:)
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:56:31 PM
rebeccaufer990 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am wanting the following poem translated from English to Italian. I have had these results so far and I am not sure if they are 100% correct mainly because of the VI HO... Any help would be greatly appreciated!;) TIA

English:
Ever since the day I found you,
My love for you has always been true.
Always and forever more
Our little family will always soar
United As one we will always be
Our own version of the perfect family.

Italian 1:
Fin dal giorno in cui ho trovato, Il mio amore per te è sempre stato vero. Sempre e per sempre La nostra piccola famiglia sarà sempre salire Uniti come un sol ci sarà sempre La nostra versione della famiglia perfetta.

Italian 2:

Fin dal giorno VI HO trovato, il mio amore per te è sempre stato vero. Sempre e per sempre più la nostra piccola famiglia sarà sempre volare uniti come uno ci sarà sempre la nostra propria versione della famiglia perfetta.

Italian 3:
Fin dal giorno VI HO trovato,
il mio amore per te è sempre stato vero.
Sempre e per sempre più
la nostra piccola famiglia sarà sempre volare
uniti come uno ci sarà sempre la nostra
propria versione della famiglia perfetta.

The first question is: "you" is referred to just one person or to a group of people?
Because if you are just referring it to one person you should use "ti ho trovato",
while if you're using it for a group of people you should use "vi ho trovato".
There is another choice available: you can use "vi ho trovato" to refer to a single person, but that is a way to speak that means you are talking in a very formal way, like if the other person is a perfect stranger or someone important.

The second question is about "soar": if you mean to say "it will always fly" then the correct translation is "volerà sempre"; if you mean to say "it will always fly without propulsion (like a bird)" then the correct translation would be "si librerà sempre"; if you mean to say "it will always fly high" then the correct translation would be "si innalzerà sempre".

:) I guess that the second question shows what one could miss in translation.

I would translate it this way, if referred to one person:

Fin dal giorno in cui ti ho trovato,
il mio amore per te è sempre stato vero.
Per sempre e sempre di più, [For ever/Always and ever more]
la nostra piccola famiglia si librerà sempre [as a bird in the sky]
uniti come una cosa sola saremo sempre [united as one thing we will always be ("as one" is commonly said "come una cosa sola")]
la nostra propria versione della famiglia perfetta. [I would use "personale" instead of "propria", that's the term commonly used for that meaning, while the other one is a bit formal, although correct.]

I hope I've been helpful in some way :) feel free to ask if you need some clarifications.

Ciao!
Topic: in questione
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:32:10 PM
helenadea wrote:
Mi sono imbattuta nella frase: Per imparare una lingua straniera devi andare nel paese in questione. Vuol dire: Per imparare una lingua straniera devi andare nel paese di cui studi la lingua; in cui viene parlata?
Grazie mille in anticipo.

Esattamente, e più in generale "in questione" è sinonimo di "di quello di cui si sta parlando".