Profile: ThisIsFlaco
About
User Name: ThisIsFlaco
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Passive voice or participial adjective?
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 12:17:39 AM
Thanks everyone for replies.

Here is the paragraph where the sentences appear. It's from a website called Wild Republic:

The Largest Land Animal

African elephants are the world's largest land animals. Herds of these great beasts wander through 37 countries in Africa. They are easily recognized by their trunk that is used for communication and handling objects. Their ears are very large- larger than those of Asian elephants. These big ears allow them to radiate excess heat. African elephants are divided into two species – savannah elephants, and forest elephants. Savanna elephants are larger than forest elephants, and their tusks curve outwards. The African savanna elephant is found throughout the grassy plains and bush lands of the continent, while the African forest elephant lives the equatorial forests of central and western Africa.

Thanks,

F

Topic: Passive voice or participial adjective?
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2018 5:13:34 PM
Hi all,

I'm having trouble with a couple of sentences:

African elephants are easily recognized by their trunk.
African elephants are divided into two species.

I originally took these to be passive voice examples with "recognized" and "divided" as the main verbs in the sentences. However, a colleague said the main verb is BE.

Help?

Cheers,

F
Topic: Nintendo Releases Super Mario Bros. (1985)
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:51:23 PM
Absolutely nostalgic. We got this game in 1987 in December right before Christmas. Every store was sold out. I called several Toys 'R Us until one store attendant surprisingly said, "yes we have it". I can't remember what city it was in but we rushed over to it to pick it up. It was a Saturday morning. My dad signed us up for the Nintendo magazine. We ended up buying a few games over the next year, a few highlights included Mike Tyson's Punch Out, The Legend of Zelda, Excitebike, and Kung Fu. Although I lost interest in video games shortly thereafter, I still affectionately recall SMB.
Topic: The man that hath no music in himself, Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and...
Posted: Saturday, September 6, 2014 3:12:03 PM
I agree with Shakespeare. Meanwhile, those obsessed with music might be similarly unreliable.