User Name: Bully_rus
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 2,420
[0.27% of all post / 1.29 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: One can sometimes do good by being the right person in the wrong place.
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2018 12:12:06 PM
Daemon wrote:
One can sometimes do good by being the right person in the wrong place.

Gilbert Chesterton (1874-1936)

The right person in the wrong place? Though I'm personally on the side of the do-gooder, the chances are equal at best...
Topic: The truth is, we each of us have an inborn conviction that the whole world, with everybody and everything in it, was created...
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2018 8:03:18 AM
Daemon wrote:
The truth is, we each of us have an inborn conviction that the whole world, with everybody and everything in it, was created as a sort of necessary appendage to ourselves. Our fellow men and women were made to admire us and to minister to our various requirements.

Jerome K. Jerome (1859-1927)

Yeah. In that sense, we are all equal - whether kings or commoners, great or small...
Topic: Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the...

Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2018 1:12:59 PM
Daemon wrote:
Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)

Yeah. If there's a law then there must be an enforcement. Who can do it better than a pack of wolves?
Topic: Hard work is simply the refuge of people who have nothing whatever to do.
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 3:48:16 PM
Daemon wrote:
Hard work is simply the refuge of people who have nothing whatever to do.

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Yeah. In that sense, there are things worse than hard work – much worse...
Topic: Rings and other jewels are not gifts, but apologies for gifts. The only gift is a portion of thyself.
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 11:39:31 AM
Daemon wrote:
Rings and other jewels are not gifts, but apologies for gifts. The only gift is a portion of thyself.

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

Yeah. But only for the loved ones, isn't it, my dear? Come high or low water...
Topic: If you would taste love, drink of the pure stream that youth pours out at your feet. Do not wait till it has become a muddy...
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 10:46:38 AM
Daemon wrote:
If you would taste love, drink of the pure stream that youth pours out at your feet. Do not wait till it has become a muddy river before you stoop to catch its waves.

Jerome K. Jerome (1859-1927)

Well, love itself is a purifying factor if it's genuine love, not just infatuation, lust - or something more grave...
Topic: If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the...
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:46:57 AM
Daemon wrote:
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

Sun Tzu (544 BC-496 BC)

Yeah. You're your own enemy if you don't know yourself properly enough...
Topic: It is a law of nature we overlook, that intellectual versatility is the compensation for change, danger, and trouble ......
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 2:12:37 PM
Daemon wrote:
It is a law of nature we overlook, that intellectual versatility is the compensation for change, danger, and trouble ... Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no change and no need of change.

H.G. Wells (1866-1946)

Yeah. It means that intelligence inevitably comes and goes from time to time. And that though sometimes it may be late - it will come back to us...
Topic: What I know about myself isn't really worth telling ... If you'll only let me tell you what I imagine about...
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2018 8:50:52 AM
Daemon wrote:
What I know about myself isn't really worth telling ... If you'll only let me tell you what I imagine about myself you'll think it ever so much more interesting.

Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874-1942)

Yeah. We imagine that we know something about ourselves so poorly - that it's outright boring...
Topic: Cruelty, like every other vice, requires no motive outside of itself,—it only requires opportunity.
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 1:58:15 PM
Daemon wrote:
Cruelty, like every other vice, requires no motive outside of itself,—it only requires opportunity.

George Eliot (1819-1880)

Yeah, vices. They are so selfish, so greedy: they can only think about itself...

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.