User Name: Bully_rus
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 2,328
[0.27% of all post / 1.30 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Most men, even in this comparatively free country, through mere ignorance and mistake, are so occupied with the factitious...
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2018 12:45:01 PM
Daemon wrote:
Most men, even in this comparatively free country, through mere ignorance and mistake, are so occupied with the factitious cares and superfluously coarse labors of life that its finer fruits cannot be plucked by them.

Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

Yeah. These lazybones are more capable of plucking and biting those finer fruits...
Topic: Nowadays we are all of us so hard up, that the only pleasant things to pay are compliments. They're the only things we can pay.
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2018 2:58:44 PM
Daemon wrote:
Nowadays we are all of us so hard up, that the only pleasant things to pay are compliments. They're the only things we can pay.

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Yeah. Though compliments as dreams have often vanished into thin air without any trace...
Topic: The world is quickly bored by the recital of misfortune, and willingly avoids the sight of distress.
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 12:17:44 PM
Daemon wrote:
The world is quickly bored by the recital of misfortune, and willingly avoids the sight of distress.

W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)

Yeah. And if something is too boring then it can't be sold – now this is a real misfortune.
Topic: I read in a book once that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but I've never been able to believe it. I don't...
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2018 12:48:08 PM
Daemon wrote:
I read in a book once that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but I've never been able to believe it. I don't believe a rose would be as nice if it was called a thistle or a skunk cabbage.

Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874-1942)

Yeah. The name Lucy is also a sweet one...
Topic: If you know what a man's doing, get in front of him; but if you want to guess what he's doing, keep behind him.
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 4:30:17 AM
Daemon wrote:
If you know what a man's doing, get in front of him; but if you want to guess what he's doing, keep behind him.

Gilbert Chesterton (1874-1936)

Yeah. I spy with my little eyes...
Topic: That was a memorable day to me, for it made great changes in me. But, it is the same with any life. Imagine one selected day...
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 11:15:26 AM
Yeah. Though not all memorable days in life are good ones and the same relates to great changes...
Topic: Ah! how delicious it is to turn over and go to sleep again: "just for five minutes." Is there any human being, I wonder,...
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 11:44:56 AM
Daemon wrote:
Ah! how delicious it is to turn over and go to sleep again: "just for five minutes." Is there any human being, I wonder, besides the hero of a Sunday-school "tale for boys," who ever gets up willingly?

Jerome K. Jerome (1859-1927)

Yeah. Especially in the morning after Christmas...
Topic: Let us have done with vain regrets and longings for the days that never will be ours again. Our work lies in front, not...
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 11:14:21 AM
Daemon wrote:
Let us have done with vain regrets and longings for the days that never will be ours again. Our work lies in front, not behind us; and "Forward!" is our motto.

Jerome K. Jerome (1859-1927)

Without learning lessons of the past we are bound to remain there – in the past. And as of now some old mistakes repeat itself over and over, again and again. Full throttle ahead!
Topic: It is not the office of a man to receive gifts ... We wish to be self-sustained. We do not quite forgive a giver. The hand...
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 9:46:02 AM
Daemon wrote:
It is not the office of a man to receive gifts ... We wish to be self-sustained. We do not quite forgive a giver. The hand that feeds us is in some danger of being bitten.

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

You can't live without gifts because life itself is a gift...
Topic: Trusting no man as his friend, he could not recognize his enemy when the latter actually appeared.
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 10:05:20 AM
Daemon wrote:
Trusting no man as his friend, he could not recognize his enemy when the latter actually appeared.

Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804-1864)

Yeah. Maybe it's simply a trusting blindness – a medical condition...

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.