User Name: davedave
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 175
[0.02% of all post / 0.06 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Are there any grammar mistakes?
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2015 3:25:07 AM
I made up the sentences below last week and asked my non-native English speaking friends to check them. Some said that there are some mistakes, and others said that there are no mistakes. I really cannot find any grammar mistakes in them.

(1) He is currently scrutinizing the effectiveness of the latest computer technology for studying electric ciruits.

(2) This group of educators has come up with an interesting math activity that transcends simple boring calculations.

(3) This practical scientific activity allows students to transcend rote learning.

Please explain the sentences. Thank you very much.
Topic: difference between later and later on
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2015 11:09:41 PM
Thanks thar.

I am so sorry for the confusion. I mean, the mistake in my original example might have distracted all the forum members' attenion from my actual question.

I accept Drag0nspeaker's suggested word as the correct word (which I indicated in my last reply). No one would doubt that.

What I was trying to get at was that generally speaking, what is the difference between "later" and "later on".

Thar, I really appreciate that you spent so much time offering examples and explanations about my post. However, I do not know if my original "problematic" example might have caused you and others to misunderstand my "real" question.

Your last two examples distinguish the meaning of later (a relative time) and later on (an absolute time).

I am very confused here.

Let me take your second last example. He finally made it to work and slaved at his desk all day. Then he went home again. Later, he went out and got steaming drunk.

If you changed "later" to "later on", would that change the time gap between his first and last actions?

A simple example may clarify my question.

(1) I am having lunch now. Later, I will go shopping.

(2) I am having lunch now. Later on, I will go shopping.

Does the addition of "on" refer to a time further in the future?

I have been bothered by the difference between the two for many years. Thanks for your help.

Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2015 4:33:34 PM
Thanks Drag0nspeaker and pjharvey. Yes, "Then" fits better. Drag0nspeaker, I still do not understand the difference between "later" and "later on". Could you please clarify that? Thanks.
Topic: looking for the right adverb
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 10:22:07 PM
I am going to make up a simple sentence below.

(ex) The sportscasters are describing the actions of the players in the football match enthusiastically.

I tried to use the thesaurus to help me, but I am not sure if any of the following words work:

(1) keenly
(2) fervently
(3) fanatically
(4) frenetically

If none work, please give me some appropriate adverbs. Thanks a lot.
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 6:32:21 PM
Below are a few sentences from an essay that I wrote a long time ago before I became a forum member here.

(ex) Tom left home an hour early this morning and walked to the closest bus stop in a relaxed way. Shortly after boarding the bus, he was stuck in a heavy traffic jam. So, he got off the bus and began to run to his workplace. Later on, he decided to take a taxi because it was getting late.

My English teacher crossed out "on" after "later" in the last sentence. I did not ask her why she did that. Is it grammatically wrong to have "on" there? Thanks.
Topic: trying to think of an equivalent phrase
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 7:24:55 PM
Thanks everyone again. A special thanks to Drag0nspeaker for your clarification. The discussions about the idiom opened my eyes to how subtle some aspects of English grammar are.

First of all, some of the members think that the word, grave, does not invoke an unsettling feeling in general. As I indicated in my post, only "some" people but not all do not feel comfortable with it. I am glad that thar pointed out that one's personal experiences could make him/her feel uncomfortable with it. Some of my friends and classmates lost both of their parents during their childhood and actually witnessed how their parents ..... accidents. The accidents might have made a permanent impact on their lives. So, certain words having a morbid connotation may give them a painful reminder of their past. The idiom in my post made some of my friends and classmates cry in class. I am not exaggerating at all. My teacher had to stop the class so that we could find ways to comfort them.

(1) I was looking for a literal phrase not another idiom that had a meaning similar to the original idiom. I hoping to find a literal phrase not an idiom without the word, grave. I really want to avoid this word or other similar words when talking to these friends and classmates of mine.

Next, I would like to raise a point regarding the subtlety of English grammar. May I make two quotes from this post?

NKM says, "The present-tense verbs are problematic in your sentence, because "earlier today" seems to be an adverbial phrase modifying the whole sentence, shifting it into the recent past."

Drag0nspeaker states, "The reason this sounded 'odd' in the original sentence is that it does not really work with a specified time 'earlier today' - it is really a timeless possibility."

I really appreciate that NKM and Drag0nspeaker pointed out this subtle aspect, or else I would keep making the same mistake.

As NKM pointed out, I used the wrong word "earlier today" which should have been "early today".

The intended meaning of my original sentence goes like this. John wants to get off work early today. So, he asks his employer for permission to do so. However, John's reaction to his boss' decision gets him into trouble.

(1) The revised sentence by the forum member is,

John is digging his own grave, yelling at his employer about not being allowed to get off work early today.

(2) I think replacing the comma with 'by' should be okay.

John is digging his own grave by yelling at his employer about not being allowed to get off early today.

Now, I really understand my mistakes. If I want to describe an action or an event that can happen anytime, I use "when".

(3) John can dig his own grave when he yells at his employer about not being allowed to get off work early.

Many thanks to all of you.
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 4:05:44 AM
Thank you for all of your comments. I really appreciate that all of you identified my

mistakes. I am a bit confused about when to use the present tense and when to

use the present continuous tense.
Does the idiom, dig your own grave, not work

in the present tense in any contexts at all? Please clarify. Thanks again.
Topic: any real-life examples
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 3:49:44 AM
a leap of faith - something risky that you do, hoping that you will get a good result

Not long ago, my friend asked me to give him an example from my life experiences that showed a leap of faith. I am pretty sure that I should have many real examples in my life that illustrate it. However, I could not think of anything at that moment, and I still can't.

Could someone please give me a real-life example of it? Thanks a lot.
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 3:40:46 AM
to dig your own grave - to behave in a way that will cause you to lose or fail

The above is a dictionary definition.

I am going to make up an example below.

(ex)John digs his own grave when he yells at his employer about not being allowed to get off work earlier today.

Some people may find it uncomfortable when hearing the word, grave, in the idiom.

Can I use the phrase below to replace this idiom?

(1) John entangles himself in a big mistake (or a big failure) when he yells ...

Is there a phrase that has a similar meaning to the idiom?

Please explain this. Thanks a lot.

Topic: Does this word fit these phrases?
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2015 2:57:41 PM
fade2gray wrote:
In my mind, your use of tangential conjurers up thoughts of 'related (to the theory), but irrelevant (to the speed of light)'. Not sure if that's what you were looking for.

fade2gray, That's exactly what I mean. So, am I using "tangential" correctly? Thanks.