Number of Posts: 25
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Salo
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 5:07:04 AM
Often cited in European humor? I've never heard of it
Topic: Kamehameha V (1830)
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:57:11 PM
Reading this, all I can think of is Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball ;-)

Surely it can't be a coincidence that the name of this monarch and the powerful fighting technique in Toriyama's comic have the same name. Anyway remembering my young days reading that manga with my brother has brought a smile to my face.
Topic: Why are women...so much more interesting to men than men are to women?
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 6:31:03 AM
MTC, thank you for giving us the context. Very interesting. Men using women as mirrors to feed their need for superiority. That goes as well, I guess, for any type of supremacist relationship.
Topic: Why are women...so much more interesting to men than men are to women?
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 3:43:12 AM
I'd say because "woman", as a cultural creation, entails a lot more artifice than "man". Women are more often the object of fascinated gaze. In short, even if "femininity" and "masculinity" are both conventional and artificial cultural creations, in the case of "masculinity" there is usually just impersonation; with "femininity", there is "impersonation" + "objectification".Think
Topic: Waste Not, Want Not with Long-Lasting Bread
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 3:08:33 PM
40%? Really? I welcome that microwave, but wouldn't it be easier in the first place not to purchase quite so much food if you can't consume it within a reasonable amount of time?
Topic: Forklift
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 2:55:10 PM
Hola a todos

¿Alguien sabría cómo se dice "forklift (truck)" en español?

Gracias
Topic: Clovis I
Posted: Saturday, December 8, 2012 2:43:25 PM
What a gangster...Think
Topic: Could Parenthood Protect Against Premature Death?
Posted: Friday, December 7, 2012 2:47:56 PM
=
Daemon wrote:
Could Parenthood Protect Against Premature Death?

Parents may attribute many of their gray hairs to the stress of child rearing, but they may be willing to overlook the cosmetic inconvenience once they learn about the link between parenthood and lifespan. A study of more than 21,000 couples seeking fertility treatment found that childless women were four times more likely to die prematurely than those with children. Childless men were about twice as likely as dads to die early. Researchers note that while the findings do not indicate a causative relationship between childlessness and premature death, there is clear evidence of an elevated mortality rate among those who desire but are unable to have children. More...

Childlessness doesn't necessarily imply "those who desire but are unable to have children". There are plenty of childless content people. Having said that I am blessed to be the proud (and exhausted) parent of a 3-year-old.

I still make time for this forum, mind you. A little bit of "me time".Applause
Topic: Maria Callas (1923)
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2012 6:23:28 PM
I always prefer singers that favour power of performance over vocal power. Although when you have both, that's amazing.
Topic: UN Approves Recognition of Sovereign Palestinian State
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2012 6:19:12 PM
Verbatim wrote:
I-Wonder wrote:
I'm going to sound terribly ignorant, but would it be possible to explain in a few words why the US has objected to grant Palestinia non-member observer state status and why they always seem to back Israel no matter what?

Hello I-Wonder: Actually, the US has been opposing Israeli new settlements. As to your question, there are known knowns
and known unknowns but knowing them is of little known import. Brick wall

Hmm... I'll ponder over that. Thank you, I didn't know about the US opposition to new settlements.