Profile: Andrey R.
About
User Name: Andrey R.
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 10
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Men are all right for friends, but as soon as you marry them they turn into cranky old fathers, even the wild ones. They...
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 1:07:50 AM
...the same could be said of women?
Topic: Everything is self-evident.
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2016 12:04:15 AM
"Artificial Hallucination"...laying it on thick. I like it.
Topic: Democracy ... arises out of the notion that those who are equal in any respect are equal in all respects; because men are...
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 8:57:08 AM
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"

Isaac Asimov
Topic: Happiness in this world, when it comes, comes incidentally. Make it the object of pursuit, and it leads us a wild-goose...
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 12:51:06 AM
"Happiness in this world, when it comes, comes incidentally. "

Sorry, but no. A resounding "No", in fact. At least, not until we agree on what "happiness" truly is.

Put me in the camp of those who subscribe to the credo "Freedom comes from within"; happiness is a product/consequence of self-mastery. Any ass can be led to dull merriment of the moment (one form of "happiness"?). Divine bliss, the unyielding buoy that can sustain one in his/her brief window of existence, is drawn from the raw, chaotic soil of one's self, and it is the centerpiece formed from this clay. It is not a product of chance.

"Swing and a miss!", Hawthorne (at least, without context). However,

"[...]Make it the object of pursuit, and it leads us a wild-goose chase,..."

I find this to be wholly accurate.
Topic: blowhard
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 10:30:01 AM
Daemon wrote:
blowhard

(noun) A very boastful and talkative person.

braggart, line-shooter, vaunter

If I have to listen to that blowhard brag about his latest project for one more minute, I am going to lose my mind!

The solution is simple: stop listening!!!
Topic: The state lieth in all languages of good and evil; and whatever it saith it lieth; and whatever it hath it hath stolen.
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2013 2:48:00 PM
thar wrote:
Daemon wrote:
The state lieth in all languages of good and evil; and whatever it saith it lieth; and whatever it hath it hath stolen.

Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

Umm, did he actually write this, in English? If it is someone's translation then it is not actually his quote. The language sounds rather unlikely for a nineteenth century German, unless he was really confident in English (or learnt it from someone with a lithp) Whistle

I am guess that this is from Thomas Common's translation (regarded by modern critics to be dated and somewhat awful). I recommend Walter Kaufmann's translation.
Topic: Infatuated, half through conceit, half through love of my art, I achieve the impossible working as no one else ever works.
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 11:13:24 PM
This mindset -- this "haughtiness" -- is a fundamental (yet sometimes well-hidden) ingredient for masterpieces. This is not to say that masters are necessarily arrogant all of the time; however, one should not ignore his "immodest" contribution to literature.

And this personal distaste for his lack of modesty and snide attacks against his physical ailment (...if it self-inflicted by "bad behaviour"?) serve what end?
Topic: On the outskirts of every agony sits some observant fellow who points.
Posted: Friday, January 4, 2013 7:35:30 PM
Musee des Beaux Arts

W. H. Auden

About suffering they were never wrong,
The old Masters: how well they understood
Its human position: how it takes place
While someone else is eating or opening a window or just walking dully along;
How, when the aged are reverently, passionately waiting
For the miraculous birth, there always must be
Children who did not specially want it to happen, skating
On a pond at the edge of the wood:
They never forgot
That even the dreadful martyrdom must run its course
Anyhow in a corner, some untidy spot
Where the dogs go on with their doggy life and the torturer's horse
Scratches its innocent behind on a tree.

In Breughel's Icarus, for instance: how everything turns away
Quite leisurely from the disaster; the ploughman may
Have heard the splash, the forsaken cry,
But for him it was not an important failure; the sun shone
As it had to on the white legs disappearing into the green
Water, and the expensive delicate ship that must have seen
Something amazing, a boy falling out of the sky,
Had somewhere to get to and sailed calmly on.
Topic: Oh sleep! it is a gentle thing,
Beloved from pole to pole.

Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 12:24:00 AM
I don't see how anyone can argue with this!

Topic: All truly great art is optimistic. The individual artist is happy in his creative work. The fact that practically all great...
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 9:05:26 AM
Agreed. In fact, I claim that practically most--if not all--great art is not tragic: it serves humanity as an uplifting and enlightening achievement, and it serves the artist as a personal triumph.

Pardon me if my above statement relays the obvious, but I will readily dismiss this "paradoxical chic" quote.