The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Verbatim
About
User Name: Verbatim
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Occupation:
Interests:
Gender: None Specified
Home Page
Statistics
Joined: Wednesday, October 3, 2012
Last Visit: Saturday, July 13, 2019 6:18:22 PM
Number of Posts: 2,116
[0.22% of all post / 0.85 posts per day]
Avatar
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: The power of doing anything with quickness is always prized much by the possessor, and often without any attention to the...
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 10:51:01 PM
Daemon wrote:
The power of doing anything with quickness is always prized much by the possessor, and often without any attention to the imperfection of the performance.

Jane Austen (1775-1817)


Aside from context, the power of doing several things at the same time with quickness--now that's
what is prized much over perfection.
Topic: In this world there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 9:50:58 PM
Daemon wrote:
In this world there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)


The real tragedy is that some never get their just deserts.
Topic: Ambition is like choler, which is a humor that maketh men active, earnest, full of alacrity, and stirring, if it be not...
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2019 6:50:10 PM
Adyl Mouhei wrote:
Daemon wrote:
Ambition is like choler, which is a humor that maketh men active, earnest, full of alacrity, and stirring, if it be not stopped; but if it be stopped, and cannot have its way, it becometh adust, and thereby malign and venomous.

Francis Bacon (1561-1626)


But if it can have its way with any man it will stirr up all sorts of trouble for most.

Topic: We are very fond of some families because they can be traced beyond the Conquest, whereas indeed the farther back, the worse,...
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2019 6:07:01 PM
Daemon wrote:
We are very fond of some families because they can be traced beyond the Conquest, whereas indeed the farther back, the worse, as being the nearer allied to a race of robbers and thieves.

Daniel Defoe (1660-1731)


If you go back far enough it actually gets better: primates climbed trees for food, having no need to accumulate fat which is what made Homo Sapiens and their progeny wise, i.e. robbers and thieves, hoarding everything. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/06/why-humans-are-fat-primate
Topic: Nature has left this tincture in the blood,
That all men would be tyrants if they could.

Posted: Friday, June 28, 2019 5:02:10 PM
Daemon wrote:
That all men would be tyrants if they could.

Daniel Defoe (1660-1731)


It's not whether they could,
Tyrants to be if they would.
Their minions' help is good,
It's a nest of a warm brood.





Topic: Misery generates hate.
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2019 10:08:27 PM
Daemon wrote:
Misery generates hate.

Charlotte Bronte (1816-1855)


Much depends on what generated the misery, whoes hand was in it. Sometimes misery generates self-pity, anguish.
Topic: It takes your enemy and your friend, working together, to hurt you to the heart: the one to slander you and the other to get...
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2019 2:32:03 PM
Daemon wrote:
It takes your enemy and your friend, working together, to hurt you to the heart: the one to slander you and the other to get the news to you.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)


Your enemy and your friend,
Work together to no end,
Unless you give them a hand.
Topic: I distrust Great Men. They produce a desert of uniformity around them and often a pool of blood too, and I always feel a...
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 11:41:20 AM
Daemon wrote:
I distrust Great Men. They produce a desert of uniformity around them and often a pool of blood too, and I always feel a little man's pleasure when they come a cropper.

E. M. Forster (1879-1970)


More often they produce a pool of blood around them, seldom get their just deserts for it,
and almost never do they come a cropper.
Topic: To believe in a child is to believe in the future. Through their aspirations they will save the world. With their combined...
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 1:39:03 PM
Daemon wrote:
To believe in a child is to believe in the future. Through their aspirations they will save the world. With their combined knowledge the turbulent seas of hate and injustice will be calmed. They will champion the causes of life's underdogs, forging a society without class discrimination. They will supply humanity with music and beauty as it has never known. They will endure.

Henry James (1843-1916)


Yes, they will endure the present as we all have been,
and put it off to magnana when anew it shall begin.
Topic: In politics, as in religion, it is equally absurd to aim at making proselytes by fire and sword. Heresies in either can...
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 5:04:38 PM
Daemon wrote:
In politics, as in religion, it is equally absurd to aim at making proselytes by fire and sword. Heresies in either can rarely be cured by persecution.

Alexander Hamilton (1755-1804)


Proselytes and heresies, both nouns--the former referring to subjects, the latter to things--are used in the quoted passage with their two different senses.
A proselyte is joining a dogma, a welcome convert. The heresy is parting with a dogma, a damnable schism. Yet, Hamilton found a similarity to make his point about the absurd aim of using force on both counts.

Hamilton was writing about political parties espousing their strong-held views but he may as well have applied the aphorisms to the realities of promoting freedom and democracy in our times.

Of course, he was equally wrong and right, as in religion it was not entirely absurd to aim at making proselytes by fire and sword--Catholicism expanded in Latin America proves him wrong.
On the other hand, the "heresy" of Reformation, also in religion, was not cured by persecution, on which count he seems to have been right. As to politics, proselytes and heretics may be one and the same...
Such are the difficulties of truth. Think

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.