Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4,589
[0.54% of all post / 2.47 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Who's sentences are better?
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 8:35:59 AM
robjen wrote:

(1b) my friend's concluding sentence: Without a school uniform, I can wear any clothes I like.

(2b) my friend's concluding sentence: Credit cards provide convenience for my shopping needs.

NOT A TEACHER

Personally, I prefer those two sentences.

They are short and to the point.

Gentle reminder: "Whose sentences are better?" (Compare: "Who's your favorite singer?")
Topic: My EXPRESSION of the day
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 8:06:02 AM
No. 35

Ms. Smith has just finished her first week as a high school (secondary school) teacher.

On Monday, she asked Ruth not to use her cellphone in class. Ruth ignored her.
On Tuesday, she asked Joe not to write graffiti on the walls. Joe ignored her.
On Wednesday, she reminded the class they needed her permission to leave class. Betty got up and walked out.
On Thursday, she asked Ralph not to listen to music. Ralph ignored her.
On Friday, she asked Millie to close the window. Millie ignored her.

After school on Friday, the principal (head teacher) and Ms. Smith had a conference.

Principal: Well, I hope that you have enjoyed your first week here.

Ms. Smith: I certainly have, sir.

Principal: So how did things go in your classes this week?

Ms. Smith: Everything was hunky dory!

Principal: I am so glad to hear that everything was fine.
Topic: My political opinion of the day
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 5:26:05 AM
No. 22

SHE WANTS AN ABORTION

1. A 17-year-old young lady recently entered the United States without permission.

2. She is currently at a government detention center.

3. She has asked for an abortion.

4. The United States government has said NO.

5. Some people are going to court, for they feel that she has a right to an abortion.

6. In my OPINION, they are 100% right.

a. Anyone who wants an abortion should be able to have one.

i. It is good for the woman, it is good for the unwanted fetus, and it is good for society.
Topic: My political opinion of the day
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 9:05:03 AM
No. 21

WHY DO SO MANY AMERICANS HAVE GUNS?

My Dear Fair-Minded Members and Guests:

1. Many Americans feel that they need guns for protection.

2. For certain reasons, violent crime in cities started in the 1960s and became unbelievably horrible in the 1970s and 1980s.

3. Americans learned then that the police were too overwhelmed to help them.

4. So that is why many Americans decided that they needed guns.

5. Some people feel that the basic problem is: Bad people are no longer punished.

6. In my state, there are more than 700 (700!!!) individuals waiting to be executed. Everyone knows, however, almost none will ever be executed.

7. Nowadays, individuals are no longer held responsible for their actions:

a. I was just reading about an elderly lady in my neighborhood who was savagely bitten by a dog. If they can identify the owner, he will just get a slap on the wrist ("You naughty boy! Don't do that again.").

b. I have just read that the state of Alabama has just executed a murderer. Most states, however, no longer execute murderers. In my city, for example, three wonderful students from China were brutally murdered by some individuals during the last five years. Those murderers were not even sentenced to execution. In fact, because they were young, they will soon be released back into society.

8. Remember, dear friends: When it comes to violent crimes, the United States of America is unique for certain reasons.

9. Americans have NO choice but to have guns. If guns were taken away from good people, then the bad individuals would not be so afraid to break into people's homes.

10. If you live in a country where people do not have guns, I envy you . But here in the United States of America, guns are necessary (sob!), and -- in my OPINION -- the need will only become more necessary with the passing years.
Topic: My TIDBIT of the day
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 7:58:01 AM
No. 25

WHAT KIND OF FOOD PERSON ARE YOU?

1. If you appreciate fine dining, you are a gourmet/epicure/bon vivant.

2. If you have a healthy but unrefined appetite, you are a gourmand/trencherman.

3. If you know the history and rituals of haute cuisine, you are a gastronome.

Source: American (print) edition of Reader's Digest for November, 2017.
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 5:44:58 AM
No. 34

Mona: Do you like this dress that I bought for Saturday's party?

Betty: It's beautiful.

Mona: I only had $i00 to spend. I'm afraid the other girls will spend more for their dresses.

Betty: Don't worry! You will be the star of the party.

Mona: Really?

Betty: I have attended many parties with you. You have always commanded (received) attention from everyone there. People are always impressed with how well your clothes fit, they are impressed with your great smile, and they are impressed with the confidence you show when you speak.

Mona: Are you trying to tell me that when I walk into that party on Saturday, I will own the room?

Betty: Exactly!
Topic: Las Vegas
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 5:31:14 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

Hello, DragOnspeaker:

Our fellow member wrote that the United States have a lot of experience with witch hunting.

As one of the leading lights (perhaps the leading light) of our highly respected "Grammar" forum, you probably would recommend to learners that they use "has."

Have a nice day!
Topic: Las Vegas
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 5:48:26 AM
IMcRout wrote:
The USA have a lot of experience with witch-hunting.

Yes, that is an accurate statement.

(Just a gentle and respectful reminder: Since the Civil War / War Between the States (1861 - 1865), Americans have used the singular verb to refer to their country.)
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 5:33:35 AM
No. 33

Tom is at his retirement party. He has worked at the Rainbow Ice Cream Company for 40 years.

Mona: We are all going to miss you.
Joe: You were my best buddy here.
Ruth: I think you were the most handsome guy here.
George: I'm very grateful for your helping me learn the ropes when I was a new employee.
Patricia: We're all going to miss your sense of humor.
Hank: This place will never be the same without you.

Betty: Don't be a stranger.

Tom: Don't worry, I won't. I promise to come back frequently to visit you guys.
Topic: My ANECDOTE of the day
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 5:22:03 AM
Thanks, DragOnspeaker and Frosty, for your comments.

DragOnspeaker, I am shocked (shocked, I tell you!) that you didn't know that the November issue would arrive in my mailbox ahead of time.

I wish you both a nice day.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.