User Name: Koh Elaine
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 7,034
[0.68% of all post / 2.19 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Is "potential" redundant?
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 4:51:09 PM
Prime Minister Lee wanted Heng Swee Keat to replace him as prime minister. Had Mr Heng agreed to take the post, he would have become the next prime minister. Three were no contenders. In such a scenario, is the word "potential" necessary?

Thanks!
Topic: Comma or no comma?
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2021 9:48:28 AM
The book, entitled Stand Up China 2017 – China’s Hope: What I Learned During Five Years as a Political Prisoner, was published this week in Taiwan. —The Guardian

The book entitled ZIKA: The Emerging Epidemic is set to be published on July 6, 2016, just a month before the August Rio de Janeiro Summer Olympics. —Science World Report

Should there be a comma after book? In the first sentence, a comma is used, while in the second sentence, there is no comma.

Thanks!
Topic: Is it wrong to remove the comma?
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2021 2:05:30 AM
Book an appointment today, for a brand new smile!

Would it be wrong to remove the comma after "today"?

Thanks!
Topic: Is a comma needed?
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2021 9:50:55 PM
The commentary, written by Ms Dana Teoh, is entitled, Gen Y Speaks: This is why I don’t want to be woke. Don’t cancel me for it.

Is the comma after "entitled" necessary?

Thsnks!
Topic: Are commas needed?
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2021 11:36:25 PM
This in turn increases one of the factors responsible for the greenhouse effect.

This, in turn, increases one of the factors responsible for the greenhouse effect.

Which is the correct sentence, the first with commas or the second with no commas? And why?

Thanks?
Topic: Is "potential" redundant?
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2021 10:45:42 AM
While Deputy Prime Minister Heng Sweet Keat's decision to step aside as Singapore's potential next leader came as a surprise, industrial watchers said it should not rattle investor and business confidence.

Is "potential" redundant? If it isn't, what is the reason?

Thanks.
Topic: Would it be wrong if the words were not italicised?
Posted: Thursday, April 8, 2021 9:27:10 PM
Seisan bunkai by Miyagi Chojun
If you practice Karate in Okinawa, you will often hear the word “imi”.

Imi” translates to “meaning” in English.

Would it be wrong if the italicised words were not italicised?

Thanks!

Topic: just try not to think about it
Posted: Thursday, April 8, 2021 4:49:44 PM
"I think our waiting time of four years is not as bad - at least it's not five or six years. I just try to not think about it. Before you know it, it's key collection time," she said.

Is there any difference if the part in bold print were replaced by "just try not to think about it"?

Thanks!
Topic: Amendment of errors
Posted: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 7:50:35 AM
It is time our leaders recognise this and stop deceiving the world that Singapore respect the rule of law.

It is time our leaders recognised this and stopped deceiving the world that Singapore respected the rule of law.

I believe there are errors in the original sentence, and I have replaced them with the italicised words.

Are there any errors in my amendments?

Thanks!

Topic: Is "18 months' jail" correct?
Posted: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 5:14:02 AM
The offender was sentenced to 18 months' jail.

Is "18 months' jail" correct?

Thanks!