Could somebody please help? Thanks.
Topic: Placement of comma
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2018 4:56:55 AM
Could somebody please help? Thanks.
Topic: participants in attendance
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2018 2:16:33 PM
palapaguy wrote:
Koh Elaine wrote:
Welcome to this auspicious function. I would like to express my heartfelt appreciation to the large number of participants in attendance.

Is the part in bold correct?

Thanks.

Do you mean is it tautological? No, because the two words can have slightly different meanings. Further, some of those in attendance may not be participants, and some participants may not be in attendance.
Thanks.
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2018 2:08:13 PM
Thanks, FounDit.

It was a typo. I highlighted 'Razak' and yet I typed 'Najib'.
Topic: comma splice and placement of full stop
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2018 10:14:25 AM
The verb should be in the past tense as this is a wish, hence the sentence should read 'I wish I knew what was happening'.

1. Is there a comma splice between 'wish' and 'hence'?

2. Should the full stop be inside the closing inverted comma?

Thanks.

Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2018 8:42:56 AM
In the second week of October, the rainy conditions were “due to the presence of persistent easterly winds bringing moisture from the Tropical Central Pacific Ocean to the southern Southeast Asia region”, the MSS said.

Should the comma be inside the closing quotation marks in British English? If not, what is the reason?

Thanks.
Topic: participants in attendance
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2018 8:40:46 AM
Welcome to this auspicious function. I would like to express my heartfelt appreciation to the large number of participants in attendance.

Is the part in bold correct?

Thanks.
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2018 8:35:43 AM
He had missed his party colleague and former boss, Najib Razak who was also called to the MACC headquarters for questioning on matters believed related to 1Malaysia Development Berhad’s (1MDBD) dealings with Abu Dhabi fund, International Petroleum Investment Co (IPIC). The former prime minister had arrived in the morning and departed at about 1.30pm.

Should there be a comma after "Najib"?

Thanks.
Topic: Should the comma be inside the closing quotation marks in British English?
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2018 1:33:34 AM
In the second week of October, the rainy conditions were “due to the presence of persistent easterly winds bringing moisture from the Tropical Central Pacific Ocean to the southern Southeast Asia region”, the MSS said.

Should the comma be inside the closing quotation marks in British English? If not, what is the reason?

Thanks.
Topic: embrace / lay faith
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 2:43:05 PM
We embrace a religion.

1. Can we embrace an object of worship?
2. Can we embrace the teachings of a religion?
3. We embrace Shakyamuni or lay faith in Shakyamuni? (What I mean is believe in him.]

Thanks.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.