Profile: pjharvey
About
User Name: pjharvey
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,075
[0.11% of all post / 0.37 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Do you agree with me on this matter?
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2020 6:46:03 AM
Yes, correct.

You can also check this site for the correct use of the present perfect of "to go":

https://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/lessons/been-or-gone

The exercises are very useful, I think.
Topic: Do you agree with me on this matter?
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2020 6:19:11 AM
David, thar's explanation is aimed at pointing out that you didn't use the correct verbs and prepositions in your examples, but all of your examples, when corrected, match with the idea you expressed.
It's just that the present perfect of "to go" is "been", and not "gone", when the meaning that you want to express is "going to a place and then coming back". If you use "gone" it means that there has been no coming back. E.g., if you say "she's gone" it means that she's no longer there, but somewhere else.
When you use "been" with that meaning (to go to a place and then come back), the correct preposition to use is "to", not "in".
Topic: What's the difference in the two sentences? (1)
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2020 8:43:09 AM
The connection is the result: in your example, in the present, now, the result is that the homework is done.
In general, the past simple is used when you want to specify WHEN an action happened, while the present perfect focuses more on the RESULT IN THE PRESENT (whether an action has taken place or not).
Compare, for example, "I went to Spain in 2007" (specifying when) with "I have been to Spain" (specifying the result, that is, that now you have the experience of a trip to Spain).
All this is very general, but I just wanted to answer your question about the connection with the present.
Topic: A little/some
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2020 9:48:11 AM
D is wrong because the answer ("a little") refers to the verb ("speak") and not to the noun ("French").
Topic: no/not adjective
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 5:32:40 AM
Hi Tara,

why do you say that "not" cannot be used before adjectives?
There are many examples where it is used, e.g. "This room is not big."
Maybe you refer to attributive adjectives (attributive adjectives are adjectives placed before the noun they refer to)? In this case, you are right: you cannot say "the not big room", though you can say "the non-big room" in certain cases.

As to "no", yes, in your examples it only refers to comparative forms, and has this use as specified here in TFD:
"2. Not at all; not by any degree. Often used with the comparative: no better; no more."

By the way, are your example sentences self-made? I have asked because they contain an error.

1. This room is no different to the one we've been renting before. - WRONG - This room is no different from/to the one we rented before (because "before" refers to the past)

And I know that this is debatable, but
2. You're no better than me - I think that the correct form is "You're no better than I".

Topic: colliding into
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:10:42 AM
Or he bumped into them… right?

Edited: sorry, this was linked to Drag0nspeaker's reply - I had not seen Wilmar's post yet.
Topic: What does the part in bold mean?
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 6:40:01 AM
Hello Romany,

I am not 100% sure, but I cannot see a reason for that "would".
In fact, you have not used it in your examples:

"I too hope that initiatives I implemented outlast me"
"The hope that his accomplishments outlast his term in office...".

You have not written
"I too hope that initiatives I implemented would outlast me"
"The hope that his accomplishments would outlast his term in office..."

Maybe it's not wrong, just optional?
Topic: What does the part in bold mean?
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 4:57:13 AM
To add to FounDit's reply, I would like to express my doubts about the use of "would" before "outlast". I think it's wrong. Any native speaker's comments?
Topic: emotional fuckwites
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 6:41:31 AM
Try this link, Alyona: https://www.hanapiranha.com/single-post/2016/11/22/10-Tips-For-Surviving-A-Fuckwit

P.S. I have met one and have had the chance to study their behaviour in depth; they are indeed a horrid species!
Topic: tall, charming, smart
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2019 2:55:47 AM
Wilmar (USA) wrote:
If you were going to list 3 descriptors anyway, you would write it as follows.

3) He was tall, charming, and smart.
4) He felt happy, strong, and hopeful.

And the next bicker-match will be concerning the second comma in each of those sentences.

Exactly!

Just to let readers know that your use of the comma is American English, Romany's is British English.