Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,099
[0.11% of all post / 0.36 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: stressed distress
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2020 10:39:25 AM
Tara2 wrote:
Romany wrote:

My response would be that something that was nerve-wracking could be a component (part) of either stress or distress.

"wrack" is something that has been completely destroyed so something that is nerve-wracking destroys our nerves. Drives us nuts.(mad).

Stress can play havoc with one's nerves and completely destroy them. Acute distress can have the same effect.

The meaning of "Nerve-wracking" is thus not "close to" either 'stress' or 'distress'. But it can be a symptom of either state.

Many thanks dear thar for the great explanation!!!
Sometimes we behave angrily with other because of our nervous. (Not that it is a disease we are just temporarily, very short). In Farsi we say 'I'm nervouse', don't you say like this, please? (some women are like this in their monthly period)

Tara, you had better turn both your thanks and your question to Romany in this instance :)
Topic: please help with " down"
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2020 8:21:53 AM
It's not well written: it's "downright", not "down right".

Sorry, cross-posted with Frosty x Rime
Topic: material
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2020 10:07:13 AM
Certainly!
Topic: After saying something...
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2020 8:16:04 AM
Well then, none of these sounds natural at all, unless it's the answer to a silly question such us "What do you usually do after saying something, when being thirsty and standing by a pond?".

It would be more natural if in the past and stating what you said.
"After saying "Wait, I'm thirsty" I sat down, had a look at the water (to check its cleanliness), then drank it with my right hand to quench my thirst, pausing three times for breath".

However, I am no native speaker - let's wait for their ideas on this.
Topic: which is taking care of
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 6:30:37 AM
I dont' think "taking care ore her" is wrong.
Topic: edify
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2020 9:58:03 AM
Well then, yes, I think that Romany meant the mind as opposed to the body, that is, only our intellectual and moral (not physical) part.
You can replace the word "mind" with "soul", if that makes it easier to understand.
Topic: His ancestors were Caucasian/Caucasians?
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2020 2:53:44 AM
In all 3 cases, the singular is an adjective and the plural a noun.
I would use the adjectival form. I don't know why, but I find it more… elegant.
Topic: pronoun exercise
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 10:09:48 AM
I'd use "their own".
Topic: one too many
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 8:36:57 AM
thar wrote:
I say - Not 3

If a band should have 2 guitars then 3 is one two many.
The same for a maximum number of anything (ie of any one item - no more than 300 pairs of shoes, Mrs Marcos)
Or for a maximum number of people (the room is only insured for a capacity of 10 people - not even 101. Make that last person leave.

By not anyone.
Any one person is a specific person. You can't have more than one of a single person. Each person is unique. There cannot be more than one of anyone.
(edited to correct confusing typo)

[Unless this is sci-fi clones, and only a certain number of clones of the same person are allowed - "only five Thars allowed in the room at a time, no more than that!" Otherwise they will eat all the ice cream! Whistle ]

After stopping laughing (which took quite some time), I have realized that I had answered too hastily. Actually your reasoning does make sense: one too many of anyone is an absurd concept!
Topic: tall, strong and young
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 6:40:03 AM
I am not sure about the second.
I would end it with "...and there was tall, strong and young Pete".
I am not quite sure if it would be correct the way you wrote it with the addition of a comma, like this: "...and, tall, strong and young, there was Pete".