[0.10% of all post / 0.39 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: He would have no guns to serve
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 8:05:03 AM
Oh, that's clear now.
Sorry, I misinterpreted the quotation.
Topic: He had to have some sort of a background
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 6:44:14 AM
Yes, indeed it means "personal history". The man feels that he needs to find a place where he belongs. He is looking for his roots, and thinks he may choose to have them here, in his native place, where is mother is. This place is as good as any other to him, but he feels he has to make a choice, so why not here.
At least, this is how I see it from just this short excerpt.
Topic: He would have no guns to serve
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 6:40:04 AM
I think it means "he wouldn't need to use the gun"; in fact, he had to rear (tend, grow) the pheasants before shooting them.
Topic: decided it is/was the truth
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 2:52:18 AM
I wouldn't express myself like that.
You are talking about someone studying a question (by asking, reading, or gathering information by themselves) to find out what the truth is about that question.
A research is something more complex, as far as I know, and documented (see, for example, scientific research).
So I'd say something like "I investigated / looked into the matter and found out that it was true" ("it" does not refer to "the matter", because a matter cannot be true or untrue, but to something that had been stated in some previous sentence).
I'd use "was", and not "is", precisely because it refers to a statement (I repeat, a matter cannot be true or untrue!).
Topic: did or had done
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 2:39:32 AM
palapaguy wrote:
No, they both occurred in the past. The only distinction is how FAR in the past.

(a) sounds more recent than (b), but (a) is still in the past. "I wish I (did not) do it." is past, no matter how recent.

palapaguy, why do you say so?
Do you mean that "I wish you were here" refers to a past presence? No, it doesn't. "I wish you had been here" does.
After "wish" you need to move tenses a step back in the past, exactly as Fyfardens is saying.
Topic: Question: Could you tell me how to use 'AT' + place & 'IN' + place?
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 4:47:34 AM
AT a point. IN a closed place (closed also in the sense of encircled, such as a park, which is encircled by a fence).
Not to be taken literally, but figuratively.
Topic: Is the sentence OK?
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 3:47:03 AM
No, they aren't.
You should read more carefully what thar wrote.
Topic: You can do an elastic that has buttons.
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 6:18:06 AM
No, they don't.
You could say "You could use elastics with buttons", but, as this is a suggestion you want to make, better use a different form, such as "Why don't you use elastics with buttons?".
But do elastics with buttons exist? I have never seen any. The one in the picture looks rather home-made.
Then I'd say "Why don't you have buttons sewn onto the elastics"?.
Topic: Is to/was to
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 4:55:30 AM
Well, it's not easy to guess without more context...
Topic: because she was really a schoolteacher
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 3:59:26 AM
thar wrote:
I suspect it is more about what they were doing than what she as wearing.

Yes, it could be because, while Connie "climbed the fence", Mrs. Flint "went running back".

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.