Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 852
[0.10% of all post / 0.39 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: After the unpleasant episode
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 6:58:35 AM
NKM's is the only version that doesn't mess up with pronouns and has no subject missing. It's the only correct and clear version.
Topic: Center won't hold?
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2018 8:57:26 AM
Sarrriesfan wrote:
"The centre cannot hold " is a reference to battlefield formations of the past.

Imagine an army of British Redcoats or Roman Legionares they would deploy in the battlefield in several formations but one of the most common was to have a large central body of troops with smaller groups of troops to the left or right wings.

When a battle was going very badly for its commander the central formation of troops would no longer be able to hold their formation, and defeat would be upon them.

"The centre cannot hold" might be the cry of dismay of a junior officer to his commander in such a circumstance.

Interesting!
But I don't think this is the case: would the officer say "The centre WON'T hold"?, I don't think so...
Topic: Center won't hold?
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2018 5:22:45 AM
As a grammar point, the use of "won't" in the place of "cannot" or "doesn't" expresses irritation on the part of the speaker. If you say so, it is as if you attributed to the centre a malignant spirit of its own, who pertinaciously refuses to hold; as if you said, "I want this centre to hold, but the damn thing refuses to cooperate".
Apart from grammar, however, I am not sure what you are referring to.
Topic: what a...!
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 6:56:43 AM
Yes, you are right: what a great day!, what a brilliant movie!, etc.
In negative cases, it can replace any negative adjective you may think of, e.g. what a tiring morning!
Topic: would
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 6:53:11 AM
Because it is used with the following meaning:
4. Used to make a polite request: Would you go with me?
Check "would" in TFD!
Topic: what a...!
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 6:17:22 AM
They are all exclamations, meaning "this is quite a mess", "this is a particular hotel (may be particularly good or particularly bad)", "this is really a waste of time", and so on.
When the word (mess, hotel, waste of time, etc.) is neutral (a mess, a waste of time and an idiot are negative things, a hotel, a morning and a kid are neutral), the judgement implied can be either positive or negative, depending on the situation.
E.g., "what a morning!" can either mean "this/that is/was a particularly good morning" or "this/that is/was a particularly bad morning".
Topic: would
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 6:11:37 AM
In both cases, "would be" can be replaced by "is". "Would be" is more formal and kind. It means, in the first case, that I do not force you to meet me after lunch, but I prefer to meet you then; in the second case, that you are not forced to help, but it is better if you do (if you can).
Topic: May have been
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 6:08:02 AM
To me it sounds wrong, I'd say "Patients may also be offered...".
Topic: gives up
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 6:07:18 AM
Yes, I think the meaning is unchanged. I even prefer "give" to "give up" in this case.
Topic: Is the highlighted comma necessary?
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2018 8:01:43 AM
I am not sure I understand your question: there is no comma after "educator", is there?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.