Profile: pjharvey
About
User Name: pjharvey
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,081
[0.11% of all post / 0.36 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Is it grammatically incorrect to end a sentence with a preposition (stranded preposition)?
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 5:47:27 AM
Hello A coop,

maybe the reason why you haven't received any answer yet is that your post is long and complicated and doesn't make sure what you are asking…
Indeed I am not sure of that, but in case your question relates only to this:
"Do "They visited Brighton, after which they went to Northern Ireland" and "They visited Brighton, which they went to Northern Ireland after" have the same meaning?",
I can tell you that the second sentence is wrong simply because in this case "after" is not a preposition, but a conjunction - and as such cannot go to the end of the sentence.
Topic: What does "Fides" mean here?
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 4:13:32 AM
thar wrote:
British coins have FD after the name of the monarch, meaning Fidei Defensor - defender of the faith. Or for a queen Fidei Defensatrix.

That title was actually given to Henry the Eighth by the Pope for his defence of the Catholic faith against those pesky Protestants. That didn't work out so well.
But it is a bit of cheek to found your own faith but keep the title!

Elizabeth II Dei Gratia (by the grace of God) Regina (Queen) Fidei Defensor (Defender of the Faith)

Fides > faith, trust - fidelity, infidelity, hi-fi, dogs called Fido.
Fides > faith, religion - Infidel (specifically Muslim, at least in some contexts like the Cruades. I don't know if it the term was ever applied to others)

thar, your posts are always deliciously instructive! Applause
Topic: offer
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 5:02:33 AM
As to the intransitive use, see these examples:

"He didn't feel like going, so I offered to go in his place"
"My neighbours offered to help me when I moved"
Topic: ¥ 0.50
Posted: Friday, July 3, 2020 2:48:53 AM
Hello sb70012,

let me correct you:

...I made a copy of one of my documents in a print shop and it cost me the above amount...

"To cost" is irregular.
Topic: Whenever Kevin was posted abroad
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 8:25:50 AM
taurine wrote:
[quote=Boris66]taurine

I agree that you had asked about natural sounding of your sentences. Natural in this context can and should be understood as real and not theoretical or imaginary. It should not be understood as artificial or superfluous.

taurine, I imagine that Boris was asking whether their sentences are grammatically correct - which I find they are - and very well written too :)
Topic: Which one do I have to use?
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 4:01:33 AM
Hello David, I see you are delving deep into that topic!

To me both (was and left) work, but I prefer "was", because the more logical question would be "When did he go there?" and not "When did he leave?".
But I leave it to native speakers to elaborate more on this…
Topic: Do you agree with me on this matter?
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2020 6:46:03 AM
Yes, correct.

You can also check this site for the correct use of the present perfect of "to go":

https://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/lessons/been-or-gone

The exercises are very useful, I think.
Topic: Do you agree with me on this matter?
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2020 6:19:11 AM
David, thar's explanation is aimed at pointing out that you didn't use the correct verbs and prepositions in your examples, but all of your examples, when corrected, match with the idea you expressed.
It's just that the present perfect of "to go" is "been", and not "gone", when the meaning that you want to express is "going to a place and then coming back". If you use "gone" it means that there has been no coming back. E.g., if you say "she's gone" it means that she's no longer there, but somewhere else.
When you use "been" with that meaning (to go to a place and then come back), the correct preposition to use is "to", not "in".
Topic: What's the difference in the two sentences? (1)
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2020 8:43:09 AM
The connection is the result: in your example, in the present, now, the result is that the homework is done.
In general, the past simple is used when you want to specify WHEN an action happened, while the present perfect focuses more on the RESULT IN THE PRESENT (whether an action has taken place or not).
Compare, for example, "I went to Spain in 2007" (specifying when) with "I have been to Spain" (specifying the result, that is, that now you have the experience of a trip to Spain).
All this is very general, but I just wanted to answer your question about the connection with the present.
Topic: A little/some
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2020 9:48:11 AM
D is wrong because the answer ("a little") refers to the verb ("speak") and not to the noun ("French").