Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 10
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: imminent immanence in eminence, and eminently so
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 10:06:38 AM
Good day
A web contributor describes himself jokingly (I think) in his personal profile as an "imminent eminent translator". I'd like to top him while keeping his brevity using one of immanent/immanence/immanently with one or both of his two adjectives (or variations of them) . I will be joking if you wondered Angel

My best effort: imminent immanence in eminence, and eminently so . I think this could mean I am obviously soon to be contained within a position of prominence or superiority. Does it have this or any other meaning?

Would anyone else like to try?
Topic: See out your life
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:22:16 PM
Fair point DragOnspeaker but dictionaries show no mercy to foreign language learners. The sentence in question was an example from http://www.cnrtl.fr/definition/pr%C3%A9sider "...les doctrines et les travaux des quatre grands géomètres de ces grands géomètres ont présidé aux progrès de la Géométrie"

How to chose between doctrine/belief/tenet/ism for doctrine and between travails/chores/occupations/jobs/labours/works/ for travaux and then between land surveyers/geometricians for géomètres? Then to try to home in on the meaning of "Qqc. préside à qqc" = "Être le principe, la raison, la cause qui soutient, qui régit l'existence ou la réalisation de quelque chose". No success for me with that one but as I said, it was illuminating (for me) to use TFD to see how words can move out of their primary domains to enrich expression elsewhere. It was the first time I had ever thought about that
Topic: Old Sayings for Rogermue- Add Some
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:55:49 AM
excaelis wrote:
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Oink! Snort!

I'm guessing that it is "Casting (throwing) pearls before the swine"
- offering someone something they can not appreciate.

Dorothy Parker and Clare Booth Luce arrive simultaneously at a doorway. " Age before beauty " says Ms Luce motioning Ms Parker to proceed. " Pearls before swine " responds Ms Parker, gliding through the doorway.

If someone says "Age before beauty" to me at a doorway then I say "No please, shit before the shovel"
Topic: should
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:20:57 AM
Running the various sentences through my mind to see if I can find differences in meaning I find that my surprise could be that HE said it, or that he SAID it, or that he said IT. I could easily discriminate between these different meanings while speaking by slightly emphasizing the appropriate word. Not so natural in writing. Without underline, italic, bold or upper capital usage I really need to expand a bit "he, of all people, said", or " He would ever say it" or "he said such a thing" . My trouble is that the example sentences actually use "such a thing" but that does not exclude the other two possible meanings.

As a native BE speaker (well Irish then) all I can say is that using the modals makes the meaning of the sentence a bit more fluid.

(P.S. I like the subjunctive hangover theory as well but that's one for grammaticians)
Topic: Welcome to TheFreeDictionary Language Forums!
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:13:38 AM
Inserting a link is pretty intuitive but I would never have worked out how to upload an image from my PC without the following advice from Rogermue. Maybe you should include the advice in this thread.

almostfreebird wrote:
rogermue wrote:
balamb wrote:
Please can someone tell me how to download a picture onto this site. I've found one and downloaded it to my. . desktop. Then I've tried to drag it across but it just doen't work. This isn't the first time. Please help.

---

Balamb, you can transfer a picture from the internet directly to this forum.
Either you do it by' copy this picture' or 'copy URL of this picture.

To transfer from your laptop to the forum:

imageshack and photobucket are popular:

how to upload pictures to forum using image shack

http://imageshack.us/

http://photobucket.com/

Topic: The Best of Cartoons
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:35:01 AM
When very senior managers used to appear and hover around in our control room in times of (Railway) crisis I used to calm myself down by looking at this Perishers cartoon pinned on my desk. Always worked and the fantastic pun in the last speech bubble always cracked me up.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Topic: vengeful versus revengeful
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:12:50 AM
I agree that revengeful sounds a bit artificial.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=revenge draws a distinction between avenge and revenge although it muddies the water a bit. Avenge suggests the administration of just punishment, Revenge suggests retaliation and implys hatred as its motivation

i think any word with "venge" in it is horrible because it expresses a horrible thing. "Vengeance is mine saith the Lord" or "Vengeance is a dish best eaten cold" as the expressions go.

I prefer to use expressions like get your own back, settle the score or even things up although I'm careful that I'm not just disguising more spiteful feelings Pray
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:44:45 AM
rogermue wrote:
Language is in the first instance a means of communication. If one uses expressions too much
out of the way the danger of being misunderstood or speaking in riddles is great.
Especially in English with its enormous vocabulary this danger exists and I admire writers who manage to write clear English.
There is such a great number of words in the English dictionary that in the course of time have developed so many different meanings that you can be sure to be misunderstood if you use them without checking if you can be understood at all.

Very true rogermue. I understand well any frustration with the intended meanings of multi-facetted or multi-dimensional words as I am learning a foreign language. However, I think communication would be poorer in the long run if we stripped away secondary or derivative meanings from words in pursuit of clarity of communication. For example I found it really illuminating to look at the multiple definitions of some words in Thefreedictionary and concentrate on how they are used outside their primary domains of Politics, Biology, Botany, Mechanics etc. Words like the following:- govern (exercise a deciding or determining influence on), underpin (support), spawn, engender bring to fruition, fructify (make fruitful), nourish, impregnate(fill with meaning or significance), fertilise (make productive, realise – (make real or concrete; give substance to),actualise, incarnate, give rise to, sire, beget, implemental (Serving as a means or agency).
(I was trying to help someone express his understanding of the relationship between French Land Surveyors and Pure Geometry. All these words could have fitted to a certain extent)
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:52:47 AM
Thanks everybody. And for your thoughts on living as well. I'm juiced but embarrassed. I actually said "I'll out-see you" meaning to say I'll outlive you or colloquially "I'll see you off". However Thefreedictionary defines "outsee" as "To see beyond; to excel in certainty of seeing; to surpass in foresight". Not what I meant at all.d'oh!
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 5:28:53 AM
"See out your life". I used this expression to mean live your life-span in a routine, non-engaging, non-exciting way. Just watch the years roll by until you die. Am I right to use the expression in this rather negative way?