User Name: MTC1
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 11
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: illogic
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 6:38:36 AM

The clash between "Bones" and Mr. Spock comes to mind.
Topic: Marriage is a very good thing, but I think it's a mistake to make a habit of it.
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 12:31:15 PM
Elizabeth Taylor liked marriage so much she was married eight times to seven men.
Topic: installment
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 9:33:00 AM
Words are sometimes windows into our values. The financial sense of the word "installment" completely eclipses the literary episode sense in actual usage. Click on the definition and ten or twenty financial ads spring up without even a hint of literary episodes. Google "installment" with the same result-- a telling comment on what matters most in our global commercial culture.

Topic: coriaceous
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:27:00 AM
A good adjective for sun-damaged skin. In severe cases, pachydermatous.
Topic: It is a true saying that a man must eat a peck of salt with his friend before he knows him.
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:13:37 AM
Cervantes was restating the ancient Roman saying:

“Trust no one unless you have eaten much salt with him.”
Cicero (Marcus Tullius Cicero) (106-43 BC)
Roman Statesman

Salt was very valuable in antiquity both as a dietary necessity and a preservative. The Romans even constructed a road known as the Via Salaria to ensure its transport.

Eating "a peck of salt" probably means sharing bitter but valuable experiences over a lifetime. In other words, we can judge true friends upon whom we can rely only after many shared experiences, some of them bitter.

Topic: minimalism
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:12:30 AM

...in contrast to "Maximalism," one of those maddening, nebulous terms from art criticism that defies precise definition. Think clutter and inclusion vs simplicity and exclusion of non-esssentials. Then take an Advil.
Topic: anthropomorphous
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:31:26 AM
Arguably part of the broader category of shapeshifting discussed here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapeshifting
Topic: The power to guess the unseen from the seen, to trace the implications of things, to judge the whole piece by the pattern,...
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:07:53 AM
Experience is never limited, and it is never complete; it is an immense sensibility, a kind of huge spider-web of the finest silken threads suspended in the chamber of consciousness, and catching every airborne particle in its tissue. It is the very atmosphere of the mind; and when the mind is imaginative- much more when it happens to be that of a man of genius- it takes to itself the faintest hints of life, it converts the very pulses of the air into revelations... The power to guess the unseen from the seen, to trace the implication of things, to judge the whole piece by the pattern, the condition of feeling life in general so completely that you are well on your way to knowing any particular corner of it- this cluster of gifts may almost be said to constitute experience.... If experience consists of impressions, it may be said that impressions are experience just as (have we not seen it?) they are the very air we breathe. Therefore, if I should certainly say to a novice, "Write from experience and experience only," I should feel that this was rather a tantalising monition if I were not careful immediately to add, "Try to be one of the people on whom nothing is lost!"

Henry James, "The Art of Fiction," 1888

P.S. On a personal note, thanks to a technical glitch I have been demoted to Newbie status, and given a new name and identity, MTC1, almost like a Mafioso in a witness protection program. Outed now, though...

MTC

Topic: chasten
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 4:58:11 PM
Sometimes the Mother Superior's response is more charitable: How do you solve a problem like Maria? http://www.sound-of-music-interactive.com/how-do-you-solve-a-problem-like-maria-lyrics.html
Topic: neologism
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:58:32 PM
FounDit wrote:
Oh, boy! MTC and MTC1. This is going to get confusing.

It's a case of multiple personality, temporary I hope. Somehow the system wouldn't let me log in yesterday without changing my screen name. Now there are two of us housed in the same body, one savage and unrestrained, the other civilized and subdued. The dark and light side of man's nature, you might say. I have invited the Administrators to re-integrate, perform cyber therapy, exorcise, or otherwise cure the problem.

In the meantime ... (sounds of struggle). Get away from that keyboard! Grrrrrrrrr!