User Name: JamesIsobel
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 12
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: It's me or It's I
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 5:31:32 AM
Again, just a quick note; it’s, that’s and what’s is bad English ‘it is’ just not correct ‘’that is’ ‘what is’ known as lazy speech but it has become the ‘norm’ (another lazy example).
Topic: Idiom the worse for wear
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 5:16:36 AM
Worse, or now ‘not as good as before’
Regarding the alcohol consumption, which was I believe the origin of the colloquial expression he/she is now ‘feeling the worse for wear’
This was an anachronism or basically slang manner of speaking, i.e. not perfect English.

But on the other hand, one cannot accept that anyone in the UK or indeed anywhere on the planet can speak ‘perfect’ English. And I certainly believe that all languages have the same misquotes, expressions etc.

Also, if anyone tried to absolutely perfect his/her speech and adopted the haughty aura involved in doing so he/she would be ostracized,shuned, spurned, cold-shouldered, rejected, shut out, avoided, ignored, snubbed, cut dead, kept at arm's length, left out in the cold; blackballed, blacklisted; frozen out. Und so weider.Shhh
Topic: Education or waste of time
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 9:34:31 AM
School education is simply a first step in educational life.

How many students really needed algebra?
What was served by naming all of Henrys wives.?
What does it matter if tanzlukigestizan is in Ireland or Russia?
After the music lessons, how many opera singers were produced.

What matters is the level of achievement that was attained at school, and how good the child was at memorising all the unneeded garbage taught?

The main thing was, if he/she got very good marks for all the subjects, then he/she proved the capability was there, that is what employers want and need, something with a strong foundation on which to build a strong future.
Topic: Please Explain to me the Meaning of the sentence
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 9:14:41 AM
Few are the hearts whose happy lot it is at once to recognize in each other's voices the partner intended for them by providence.

Only if you are deeply religious will the Providence word fit the phrase.

For the rest of us we simply cannot tell or at once recognise the truth of the voice alone, that takes many years, or sometimes a lifetime. I am now 72 YO and sadly it is my lot to find very few if any who are totally happy with their partner, it is my opinion that 'at once to recognise' just does not fit reality.

On the other hand' the phrase 'sexual attraction' would make more sense to me.
Topic: British English
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 8:55:02 AM
Hi, In the UK there are so many different accents and of course the localizing of words, Even the Z for example in the us is used in many cases instead of the S. The other side of the coin is the more colourful deletion of the U in many words(as in colorful), it is also not just the accent that changes but in so many cases the actual words bare no resemblance to correct English> I have taken the liberty of appending a poem which I wrote as an example of Glaswegian speech. Most Scots will understand it but most other British will not.

Doon at the Skudgie
There’s leeches an tolies and things in the watter
But if ah float tae it disney matter
We a’ smell alike so nae’b’dy’s tae blame
At least ah’ll look clean when ah get hame.

Dry and warm on the heat frae the slag
Wipe ma’sel doon wi a bit o’auld rag
Hey Wullie, git oot ‘o’the skudgie
Look there’s Tams cairt we’ll cadge a hudgie.

Up tae the toon ta see the boys
Past snotty wains wi their tatty toys
Here’s a tanner son, dinny greet
An take that bogie aff the street

There’s ‘Daft Wullie’ wi’ his hons oan his heed
Anither glaekit helper the Polis wilnae need
Och well we’re a the same if it comes tae the truth
But nearly a the daft comes oot the mooth

Well here’s the lads noo, an jings whit a sight
No a penny among them an no a dout alight
Theres tam on the brue, and Jimmy’s been freed
The Jonsies are there tae, but no in the heed

Owen the big yin, taggin along
Hummin some auld unmelodious song
Jo canny, Tam wilnie, Shuggie Disney
Still o’ there, jings, ah wish a wisnie.

James Harvey, January 2010
Topic: "The Origin of Consciousness..." A Stuctured Book Discussion
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:07:29 AM
Far too much unthinking surmising going on here, It is and has come about quite simply because we as human beings for whatever reason, (not religious) developed the 'power to reason' No other creature has this and I suggest 'never will'. To many it is a treasure but to many a curse.
Topic: Hashem-Yaweh A Penis Sighted God?
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:53:31 AM
Now then, I personally wonder just how many here would chose to be circumcised if the age of the act was to be decided upon only by the child and it had to be between his 10th and 15th birthday.

My guess it would be very few. How on earth can anyone take the decision to remove a section of the penis just for religious reasons that the child will refute and refuse to adhere to in the future, or just because it was done to them as a child?

NB; I am atheist, my mother was Jewish. I am however glad that I was circumcised, that however does not make it correct.
Topic: The end of the world
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:29:26 AM
First of all ladies and Gentlemen, rest assured the Earth will exist in a manner that it has existed for many more thousands of years, all who exist now, and their children and Grandchildren will live just as long as the average over generations.
The doomsday merchants who come up with all the suggestions as to "the end of the world is neigh" and all that kind of nonsense have been proven wrong and will continue to be proven wrong.
Yes there will be more major wars, (we have had at least one every hundred years or so since time began) aside from that, there is a saying 'Carpe diem' (seize the day) that is the dictum that I live by and will continue to do so.
BTW, thousands of interstellar particles are burned up every day in earths atmosphere, the chance that one will be large enough to smack you is not worth thinking about. You could on the other hand carry an umbrella in case you saw one descending?javascript:insertsmiley(':-%22%20','/images/emoticons/eusa_whistle.gif')
Topic: Men's Skirts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:57:57 AM
I could suggest that the 'habit' of wearing the cloth binding goes back thousands of years, in days of yore constructing a pair of Levis' would have been a 'mammoth' task. as the more civilised areas progressed, the need for more suitable clothing, to mount horses for example would have led to the fashioning of a system where the legs were more free to control the horse, bicycle, climb, running and so on.

I sugest that nowadays in some countries the old traditional garb is possibly more suitable in some ares, i'e' less sweating and better access to WC, and females???Shame on you
Topic: Everybody who is incapable of learning has taken to teaching.
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 8:27:23 AM
It just occurred to me, perhaps people who can, and can do it with a degree of expertise quite simply find that they are so fully involved with the subject that it is all consuming and that they just do not have the time or inclination to teach.

On the other hand, perhaps it is simply that the teachers, although reasonably proficient in the subject, the interest is fleeting and they turn to teaching in order to fulfil both needs, the need to learn more and to pass on their knowledge.

I personally found that when teaching I had to ensure that I had the subject firmly and fully, and infallibly in my mind before I taught. In my mind I was terrified that someone would ask me something to do with the subject in hand and I could not give the answer immediately.

Just a fleeting thought.