Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 25
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Homonimy
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 2:35:22 AM
excaelis, now I got it:)
The thing is that in Polish the word sounds a bit different than in English.

OK, guys.
I created this thread to make people revise Polish vocabulary, especially words that look the same but have two or even more meanings.
Anyone?
Topic: Polish literature/Literatura polska
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 2:22:22 AM
Witold Gombrowicz
Trans-Atlantyk
Possessed ("Opętani")

and other works of this author. His books have been translated into many languages including French, German, Italian, Spanish and Japanese.

I must admit I hated reading them in my secondary school but during the studies just fell in love with them.Whistle
Topic: Learning Polish
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:20:14 PM
GabhSigenod, nie ma za co.

By the way, be careful with a google translator. "Grzywna" means the same as "a fine" - a sum of money you have to pay when, for instance, you break the speed limit. The word you were probably looking for is "prawidziwy" (real, fine - an adjective).

"Jesteś prawdziwym dżentelmenem".

Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:14:36 PM
Thanks, almostfreebird. "Jądro ciemności" by Joseph Conrad is one of my favourite books. By the way, it is on an obligatory reading list at secondary school.

RubyMoon, I haven't read Tokarski's novel yet. I hope I will.
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 1:26:00 PM
RubyMoon, could you explain that more clearly then? :)
Topic: Pictures of green
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 8:44:29 AM

The picture was taken during a canoe trip in Biebrzański Park Narodowy (Biebrza National Park) in Poland. I recommend the place for bird lovers. You can enjoy the view of reed and various species of birds for the whole day, which is like a journey to a different reality.
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:53:18 AM
Pytanie zarówno do Polaków, jak i do osób uczących się języka polskiego.

Jakich polskich autorów polecacie?

And a question for those of you who do not understand Polish (yet?): are there any books of Polish authors that you would like to recommend? Of course, I assume that you've read the translation:)

Let me start...

S. Lem, "Solaris"
Topic: How to learn?
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:23:30 AM
That's true, you cannot convey the knowledge in an interesting way if you are not enthusiastic about it!

When it comes to children, I'm really fond of a TPR method. It's a pity that while it's pretty popular in kindergarten, it is often neglected by teachers in primary schools.
Topic: Learning Polish
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:09:24 AM
GabhSigenod, you can check how good your Polish is reading Polish websites (for instance articles on www.wp.pl) or even watching some cartoons for Polish children (which you can do here: http://www.bajkidladzieci.org). There are also many useful online courses. For example here http://www.polish.polygloto.com/free-trials you will find a few free lessons both for beginners and pre-intermediate students.
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 3:42:31 AM
excaelis, I love the Muppet Show!

Still, have no idea where this association comes from. Anxious

I tried to propose a language game for people who study Polish. This one here consists in writing down homonyms. It's worth knowing that in Polish language there are not so many homonyms as in English, still they can cause confusion if a person does not know the difference between "a zip" and "a castle" (in Polish both are described as "zamek").