Profile: Mullan
About
User Name: Mullan
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 115
[0.01% of all post / 0.03 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Does anyone recognize this quote from Sartre?
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 4:19:04 PM
Hi Sandra,
thank you very much! It helps a lot. I was interested in reading a translation of the whole thing in my native language, now I know what to look for.
Cheers :)
Topic: Does anyone recognize this quote from Sartre?
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 8:59:49 AM
I'm looking for the source of this quote:
"The world is unjust; if you accept it, you become an accomplice. If you want to change it, you become an executioner."
Does anyone recognize it?
Topic: Does anyone recognize what poem this is from?
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 8:55:06 AM
I'm looking for the source of this quote. I'm pretty sure it's a translation from Russian, I just don't know the author or title. It was quoted in a book. Does anyone recognize it?

I know in Hell I will be
An artist of Hell-wide repute.
They will seat me under a tree
And issue me a gold flute.
Topic: Does anyone recognize this quote from Mandelstam?
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 8:52:53 AM
I'm looking for the source of these two quotes. One is definitely Mandelstam, the other probably also Mandelstam. By source I mean the Russian title(s). Does anyone recognize these lines?

People who are hungry, who are sick,
Will kill, will suffer cold, will hunger.
And in his famous grave
The unknown soldier will be laid.

Our only kin is what is in excess.
Ahead lies no downfall, but a misstep,
And wrestling for sufficient air
Is not a glory that impresses others.

And overstocking consciousness
With half-waking routine living,
Do I have no choice but to drink this slop,
And eat my own head under fire in battle?
Topic: "stand opposing each other"
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 3:57:09 PM
It's possible. Too bad I can't think of a way to translate it into my native language and preserve the double meaning. Anxious

Anyway, thank you so much for help!
Posted: Sunday, January 6, 2019 12:18:34 PM
The thing is, the context allows for both options. X and Y indeed are opposing parties in the court case. But the sentence that follows ("They look each other in the face") made me think that maybe this is more about where they are standing in the courtroom.

Since you're saying that "opposing" usually means "being opponents", I guess this was the intended meaning.

I'm not sure but "in court" also made me think that this sentence isn't about literally standing somewhere. Because if it was about standing, it would be "in the courtroom", not "in court"? I don't know.
Posted: Sunday, January 6, 2019 9:42:18 AM
Hi!

In the below sentence, is "stand opposing each other" used in the literal sense of standing opposite each other, or in a metaphorical sense of being two opposing parties in a court case? I'm confused and the wider context (it's from a book) doesn't help.

X and Y stand opposing each other in court.
Topic: The word "infect"
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 4:41:52 PM
Aaah, I forgot to check idioms. Thanks for making me aware of it! Anxious
Topic: The word "infect"
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 1:20:28 PM
Hi,
I'd like to know if the word "infect", in a metaphorical sense, ever goes with positive emotions, attitudes, etc., as in "She infected me with her love of literature" for example.
I've checked in the dictionary that it does go with emotions but all examples were of negative emotions. And when I do a Google search even on a phrase like "infect them with my love of", all results are about STDs, so I'd welcome opinions from people who are native English speakers and/or know the language well.

Cheers,
Mulan
Topic: To draw a curtain across
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 2:15:42 PM
snafu22q wrote:
What I'm trying to say (rather clumsily) is that if the phrase is NOT used as a metaphor - no assumptions can be made. If someone told me they 'drew a curtain across', I'd ask, 'across what?'.

In the text I am translating (by the way, it may have been written by a non-native English speaker - I'm not sure) the phrase is used just like that: "drew the curtain across," followed by the next clause. It has the literal sense (before the character does that, she stands in front of a window for some time), and it is significant to the meaning of the text. I assume that the phrase is meant to describe closing the curtain, and I think I'll go with this assumption since there seems to be no way of confirming it.

Thanks for shedding some light on the use of this phrase! I found your replies helpful because I rarely have the opportunity to listen to such "everyday" English, e.g. describing movements and physical actions on objects, so the use of phrases like this is sometimes difficult to grasp for me.