User Name: PCNL
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 24
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: hitch
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:56:08 AM
The meaning of hitching in this sentence correspond to the third definition in The Free Dictionary:

3- To move or raise by pulling or jerking.

I think Also that it means: Panting, gasping, heaving
Topic: There's no getting around it!
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 8:11:08 AM
I think it means: it is an obligatory or mandatory step, route or action...there is no other alternative or no other way.
Topic: Collection of Ruins
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 8:32:59 PM
The ruins are very interesting, one has to think:
what happen to their owners, and why?
where are they now?
are they happy now or are they very sad? ....

If they are happy, what must I do to be like them?

and if they are sad, what do I have to do to avoid being like them?

we must do our best to seek the truth.
Topic: sex between a strange woman and man. [but both are married]
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 10:48:54 AM
Marguerite wrote:
Why put the onus on the woman? Why not say the married man and a married woman commited adultry. A married man seduced my wife and they committed adultry. In your culture who would be prosecuted by law: the offending man or the offending woman?

in Chariaa (law in Islam or the law of god), there is no difference between man or woman, they have the same level of sins (and it is a one of the capital sins or offenses) before god. In my country's legal system, it is the same there is no difference between both sexes.
Topic: sex between a strange woman and man. [but both are married]
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 8:44:57 AM
sb70012 wrote:
Hello,
There is a word similar to sex in Islam but it's an illegal sex. Why do we call it illegal? Because it's a sex between a
married woman with a strange man who is married too..... Thank you

Not only in Islam, but in all the heavenly religions Christianity, Judaism and Islam ..., every sexual relationship outside marriage is forbidden by god.
There is no distinction between married or celibate persons, it is the same if they are both single, married, or married and single; young or old...
In Arabic, the language of the Quoran, it is called "Zinna".
I don't know the name in Judaic, the language of the Thorah, or in Aramaic, the language of the Evangel the original book of Jesus Christ. The Bible is a gathering of these 2 books and many others accounts and scriptures, and it was first written in Latin (I think, I m not sure), and these words were lost in the different translations.
In this case, Adultery don't fit the definition correctly, it represents just a little group, the married persons.
I think that "Fornication" is more adequate (it is the same word also in French).
Is there another word in English that has this large meaning?
Topic: Digress
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 10:23:07 AM
I apologize, you were searching for the opposite, I have seen it in your post, however I have "digressed" from opposite to synonym.
I think that Focus fits more as opposite of digress
I can focus on the subject, without elaborating, and without digressing.
Topic: Digress
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:13:02 AM
I have looked up digress in TFD
"Verb 1. digress - lose clarity or turn aside especially from the main subject of attention or course of argument in writing, thinking, or speaking; "She always digresses when telling a story"; "her mind wanders"; "Don't digress when you give a lecture"
divagate, stray, wander
tell - let something be known; "Tell them that you will be late"
2. digress - wander from a direct or straight course
sidetrack, straggle, depart
deviate, divert - turn aside; turn away from"

and I don't feel that elaborate is a synonym of digress
we can elaborate a subject without straying form the subject
Topic: Live all you can - it's a mistake not to. It doesn't so much matter what you do in particular, so long as you have your life....
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:53:05 PM
What is life?
are we really living now?
I think:
this is just a passing phase, it is a test or an exam, to show or prove which one is good and which one is bad. This so called life is just an illusion, like in the movie Matrix,this is not what it seems.
death is the end of the test, and is the door to life
The good one, who passes the test successfully, will live the life (the real life) in "heaven"
So, if what I think is right, then I agree we must live fully our life, but before we must prepare in this world and be successful in the exam.
Topic: slightly ajar? pleonasm
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:01:38 AM
thar wrote:
It is not very natural to say it, but there is no reason not to. If it is widely ajar it is nearly fully open.
The term is not exact, and as you have seen has a range of understood meanings. So if you ever wanted to be specific, you would add more information as to exactly how far open it is, using other information or metaphors. eg just ajar, open a crack, almost pulled to, half open, etc etc

Thank you for more informations,
so "ajar" is no so subtle!!
Topic: slightly ajar? pleonasm
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 4:59:22 AM
anniepol wrote:
What about "widely ajar"?

widely: gives a feeling toward an open door
ajar: gives a feeling more toward a closed door

"widely ajar", is it an oxymoron?