Statistics
Number of Posts: 252
[0.03% of all post / 0.08 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: tall, strong and young
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2020 12:11:00 AM
navi wrote:
Thank you both very much,

How about the first one. Is that one correct? I think you are both saying 'yes', but I am not sure.

Gratefully,
Navi

The two sentences shown as selection 1) work as well. If I were writing it, I would probably leave out there was and make one sentence: 1) He had to take his books and his computer, and, impossible to leave behind, his mother's diary.
That would be a style choice rather than a correction.
Topic: tall, strong and young
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 3:10:10 PM
navi wrote:
Are these sentences correct:

1) He had to take his books and his computer. And impossible to leave behind, there was his mother's diary.
2) I had to choose between a few good men. There was Tom. There was Jack. And tall, strong and young, there was Pete.

Gratefully,
Navi

Your second sentence works very well from a literary point of view. The three good men who were to be subject to the narrator’s choice were listed in a parallel style: “There was Tom. There was Jack. [T]here was Pete.” The writer chose to provide additional information about Pete, using extra commas in a parenthetical fashion to set off the extra descriptive information (that Pete was tall, strong and young), while preserving that parallel style.
This is an example of the sort of tools which a skilled writer can use to guide readers.
Topic: New name for the Washington Redskins football team
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 9:03:53 PM
Think The Washington D.C. adjacent team formerly known as The Washington Redskins might well be renamed
1)The Talking Heads
2)The Beltway Bandits
or
3)The Deep State Obstructionists
Topic: Grandma cooked curry in pot.
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 4:27:14 AM
georgew wrote:
tautophile wrote:
Neither is "grammatically correct", but "Grandma cooked curry in a pot" is perfectly fine.

Agree! Dancing
And I don't think you'd like the implications of "Grandma cooked curry using pot." Drool

Full-on Captain Obvious mode here.
Anxious Note that ‘pot’ is a widely recognized slang reference to marijuana (Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica, Cannabis ruderalis, भांग). Though marijuana has a long history of use as a condiment or ingredient in food preparation; possession, use, and cultivation of cannabis has been illegal in most countries of the world for much of the last century.
Your second example, "Grandma cooked curry using pot" is a perfectly sound English sentence, but it would usually be construed as meaning that Grandma used marijuana as an ingredient in the cooking of her curry.
Topic: Physics Can Explain Human Innovation and Enlightenment
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 5:31:46 PM
FounDit wrote:
Orson Burleigh wrote:

Think The use of the statue of Shiva as a representative, illustrative obstacle which constricts or, at least, modifies the flow of the Ganges is thought provoking in itself. While the physical statue in the photo changes the characteristics of the flow of the river only minimally in comparison with the river’s channel(s) and banks, the metaphysical Shiva is reputed to be able to free all energy and all material from the constraints of physical channeling and habitual adherence to established paths and customs. To bring an end to all that was and is and to replace it all with newly unorganized unconstrained matter and energy, Shiva has only to open his third eye.

Well, I, for one, hope he doesn't do that, and remains content to stand in the river, enjoying that for many years to come...Whistle

Hear, hear!
I'm with you on that. I've somehow arrived at old age in this comfortable, though still imperfect version of the world, and I'd like to see it keep on keeping on. In spite of the occasional lurch for pandemics and such like, this version of the world is a far better place for a large majority of mankind than it was when our grandparents were starting their lives.
Topic: Physics Can Explain Human Innovation and Enlightenment
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 3:40:28 PM

Think The use of the statue of Shiva as a representative, illustrative obstacle which constricts or, at least, modifies the flow of the Ganges is thought provoking in itself. While the physical statue in the photo changes the characteristics of the flow of the river only minimally in comparison with the river’s channel(s) and banks, the metaphysical Shiva is reputed to be able to free all energy and all material from the constraints of physical channeling and habitual adherence to established paths and customs. To bring an end to all that was and is and to replace it all with newly unorganized unconstrained matter and energy, Shiva has only to open his third eye.
Topic: Many men were beguiled by Maria's
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 10:30:31 AM
Boris66 wrote:
Do my sentences sound natural?

Many men were beguiled by Maria's good looks and charm, but she used them mostly as an ATM. As soon as she got what she wanted, she vanished, switched off her mobile phone, changed her address, and lived quietly and alone. But when she saw her next "victim" her character changed in a second, and she turned into a formidable predator. She could smell lonely, wealthy, shy men who lacked the courage to talk to self-confident, attractive women. She needed just a few seconds to decide if the "pray" would swallow the bait, and when that happened, the rest would be as easy as a pie. The fact that she left men furious and in tears didn't bother her much. She believed those men didn't deserve better because they saw her just a trophy they liked to show around. At least, she taught them a lesson, and she wasn't teaching for free.

You probably want to replace "pray" with the sound-alike "prey". Maria intends to catch men and to consume their substance.
Topic: So as to
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 3:05:51 PM
Atatürk wrote:
The exam was so difficult as to get a good mark.

Is the above grammatical?

The sentence as it stands, is grammatical. The import is that the good mark was given for the successful development of an intentionally difficult exam. If the sentence was changed to 'The exam was so difficult as to get a bad mark,' the 'bad mark' would be based on a failure to meet the implied goal of creating an exam which was not excessively difficult.
Topic: -pur (Indian root)
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 11:18:14 AM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
Hello!

This is not about English, but I was hoping maybe somebody with knowledge of India would respond.

On the map of India I notice many locations whose names end with -pur (Nagpur is perhaps the biggest, but there are many others). Does anybody know what this root means, and in which language?

Sorry if this is a wrong place to ask, but I can think of no other.

Versions of the Indic suffix -pur, -pura, -por, are also common elements in the names of towns, cities, districts and provinces in Thai and Khmer place names. The Khmer language version Borei (ប៊ួរី) is part of the name of the ancient city of Angkor Borei (អង្គរបូរី), located near what is now the border between Cambodia and southern Vietnam.

The Thai language version of the suffix -buri ( -บุรี ) is very common, occurring in the names of towns and provinces such as Singhburi (สิงห์บุรี), Lopburi (ลพบุรี) and Kanchanaburi (กาญจนบุรี). This widespread use by speakers of non-Indo-European languages of borrowings from the Indo-Iranian branch of Indo-European might be seen as evidence of cultural and philosophical influence that was carried as far afield as mainland and insular Southeast Asia.

Looking the other direction, to the west, we see that Proto-Indo-European Bergh or Burgh has given us place-name elements like -burgh, -burg, -bourg, and Bury and derivatives like -burger, burgher, and bourgeois.

At a tertiary level, we are even given a selection of sandwiches: Burgers of various sorts derived from Hamburger (i.e. beef prepared in the manner of the people of Hamburg).Think
Topic: Should "might" replace "may"?
Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2020 8:11:37 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
Japan's Asahi Shimbun suggested Ghosn may have flown out of Kansai Airport near Osaka.

Should "might" replace "may" to indicate Ghosn's flight out of Japan is a thing of the past?

Thanks.

In normal, modern usage 'may' and 'might' are often interchangeable. The use of either 'may' or 'might' in this sentence would make no change to the meaning. Using the perfect form 'have flown' in the sentence indicates that the writer was certain that 'Ghosn's flight out of Japan' was 'a thing of the past,' that Ghosn's departure was a completed action. The use of either 'may' or 'might' in this sentence is related to uncertainty concerning the specific site of Ghosn's departure: Ghosn might have flown out of Kansai Airport, or he may have left from some other place.