Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 2
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Looking for a Hebrew expression
Posted: Sunday, October 9, 2011 6:31:12 PM
I'll give this a try.

I would say that depending on whether your friend is a religious or non religious will make a difference in her appreciating what you write.

If you Jewish friend has a belief in G-d as a religious Jew would then your best source is always tehilim or Psalms as written by King David in which case you might say something like
Hashen yemale et sh'aylat libeich ( for a woman ) or leibecha (for a man) translated "May G-d grant you the yearning s of your heart"

If your friend leans more toward the secular and away from a religious orientation then you would say something like "tamshichi(f) tamshich (m) lichlom ad sheyikaimu" This is basically a translation of your sentiment meaning "Continue dreaming until they are fulfilled"

disclaimers. (a) I do not know if there is an apt idiomatic expression that says what you want more in a more Hebrew culturally authentic way.Like I say this is simply an accurate translation of your sentiment.
and
(b)Your message will be much more effective spelled correctly in Hebrew characters which I do not have the ability to demonstrate with my keyboard. I hope that helps.

Bar
Topic: It is well known that Beauty does not look with a good grace on the timid advances of Humor.
Posted: Saturday, October 8, 2011 5:07:54 PM
It is well known that Beauty does not look with a good grace on the timid advances of Humor.

Not being aware of the style or outlook of W.S. Maugham but being aware that he may have viewed the world through the eyes of a disabled man I would venture to say that ....

"Beauty" is a beautiful woman.
"The timid advance of humor" is the inadequate approach to this woman that a man unsure of himself and of the outcome of his advance takes to show interest in the woman.
"not look with a good grace on" is the rejection he gets because she will only respond to a suitor who is confident and assertive yet respectful.