Number of Posts: 12,537
[1.29% of all post / 4.12 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Public Example of Misogyny that Affects All Women
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 11:21:51 PM
Hope123 wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Hope123 wrote:
https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2020/01/meghan-markle-kate-middleton-royals-culture-war/604981/

Interesting points.

"Policing correct female behavior keeps all women in their place"

When you watch for it, yes, this happens all the time and women are sometimes as much to blame as men.

Hmm, a couple of questions come to mind:

Who "Polices" correct female behavior?

Men.

Governments run by men - for example - Saudi Arabia and other countries;
Really? All governments? All men and all women world wide? Really? Funny. I can't think of a single law in our country that tells men they can "police" the behavior of women. I know there are still some backward countries and cultures, but I think it is a bit much to make such a blanket statement that all men can police all women's behavior. In fact, you give lie to that by your own testimony when you said you would not obey anyone.

US state governments that make or try to make laws that a woman who gets an abortion is charged with murder etc.;
Wrong. The law of the land is that abortion is legal, and any woman who wants to can kill her child while still in the womb. It's called Roe v. Wade. Also, there are a great many women who object to the practice. It isn't just men, so your argument fails here too.

religious institutions run by men - examples Muslim, Catholic church;
And you have the choice to join or not join those religious institutions. No one forces you to do so. So again, your argument fails, since women are free to choose.

corporations that don't pay equal pay for equal work;
And again, it's your choice where you work. You're free to move on or demand more pay for your work. You aren't a slave.

husbands who are stronger and beat their wives or use emotional bullying; movies; magazines; in this case/article - the press that shapes opinion,
Again, this isn't all men, only some, and they by no means represent all men. In fact, a great many men would defend the woman against such bullying. So your argument against all men fails again.

I was told a while back right on this forum that I did not know my place;
societies that think a woman cannot be a leader and do not vote for one. Etc.
One person said this to you and you blame all men? Illogical - not because you are a woman, illogical because it is illogical thinking.

Who decides what is "correct female behavior"?

See above answer.
Right. See above answers.

Is it misogynistic to ask females to behave correctly?
I noticed you skipped this one. Is that because there are women who want other women to behave and you can't put the blame on men?

If so, who decides that, and by what standard?

Who decides what is correct behaviour for both women and men? Society as a whole. Women have been speaking up for decades and still there is a long way to go for equality. Women need to keep at it. MeToo movement should keep going.
So now you admit that you were wrong to place all the blame on men. It is all of society, both men and women who believe in the proper behavior of people towards one another.

This could get very tricky.

Tricky? How so?
Tricky because you are wrong on every point you made when you blame all men.
Topic: thniking about John
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 10:57:23 PM
navi wrote:
1) I couldn't sleep thinking about John.
2) I couldn't sleep, thinking about John.

3) Thinking about John, I couldn't sleep.

4) I was unable to sleep thinking about John.
5) I was unable to sleep, thinking about John.

6) Thinking about John, I was unable to sleep.

Do '1' and '3' mean: I couldn't sleep while I was thinking about John? Maybe I stopped thinking about him and managed to go to sleep.
No. All of them convey the idea that you were never able to sleep because you were thinking about John.

2,3,5, and 6 are the best.

Do '2', '3', '5' and '5' mean: I couldn't sleep because I was thinking about John?

Gratefully,
Navi
Topic: Two groups of vampires ...
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 10:53:20 PM
Amybal wrote:
Hi, is there anything wrong in these sentences?
Okay, that helps. I suggest a rewriting, something similar to this:

Short summary
Two hundred years after the death of Raja Bersiong, his two warring sons each lead a group of vampires who are pitted against each other. One son now intends to resurrect their father.

Two groups of vampires are pitted against each other when their leaders share a painful past with their father’s and one of them intends to use a special knife which could endanger the lives of many.

Long summary
Two groups of vampires, both descendants of Raja Bersiong, no longer consume human blood. Instead, they have learned to use synthetic blood. Currently, the strongest vampire clan is led by Ratu Citra Sari. Argus, who leads the weaker clan, wants to resurrect his dead father's army, but the resurrection can only be done with a 'bersiong knife' and a special spell.
Topic: going to be the first time
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 2:25:22 PM
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
FounDit, do you find this correct either?

This is the first time I smoke.

No. If I haven't begun yet, I would use future tense as DragOnspeaker said,
"It'll be the first time I smoke. (I don't smoke - this'll be the first time.) (present - breaking a habit)
It'll be the first time I'll have smoked. (I have never smoked - this'll be the first time.) (perfect - changing a current state which follows a past inaction)

"But if I am smoking as I say it, I would say, "This is the first time I have smoked". It would be an on-going activity - present progressive.
Topic: I is Not Me, The Persistent Illusion of Consciousness
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 2:18:12 PM
This article is on AI, but I think it offers an interesting perspective on consciousness.

Quote:
"What we take as intelligence, then, is not simply about using symbols to represent the world as it objectively is. Rather, we only have the world as it is revealed to us, which is rooted in our evolved, embodied needs as an organism. Nature ‘has built the apparatus of rationality not just on top of the apparatus of biological regulation, but also from it and with it’, wrote the neuroscientist Antonio Damasio in Descartes’ Error (1994), his seminal book on cognition. In other words, we think with our whole body, not just with the brain."

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-body-is-the-missing-link-for-truly-intelligent-machines
Topic: Global Warming Reality
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 12:23:44 PM
Global Warming bullshit. From the article:

"If this trend continues, temperatures may rise by 3-5C by 2100."

IF? May? Well, yes, and if a bullfrog had wings, he wouldn't bump his butt every time he jumped — but he doesn't! And there is absolutely NO evidence this trend will continue.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what the perfect temperature of the Earth is supposed to be. Anyone? Hello? And still no one says a word about the biggest polluters of all, China and India. Sheesh.
Topic: Public Example of Misogyny that Affects All Women
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 12:03:24 PM
Hope123 wrote:
https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2020/01/meghan-markle-kate-middleton-royals-culture-war/604981/

Interesting points.

"Policing correct female behavior keeps all women in their place"

When you watch for it, yes, this happens all the time and women are sometimes as much to blame as men.

Hmm, a couple of questions come to mind:

Who "Polices" correct female behavior?

Who decides what is "correct female behavior"?

Is it misogynistic to ask females to behave correctly?

If so, who decides that, and by what standard?

This could get very tricky.

Topic: throw (some) shapes
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 11:57:26 AM
Throwing shapes and throwing shade are two different things.
Topic: would rather
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 11:52:21 AM
ullas84 wrote:
''I would rather have shown him my love than shake/shaken his hand''

The part of the sentence after ''than'' ''shake or shaken'' ???

"I would rather have shown him my love than to have shaken his hand."

Use the past perfect because it was done in the past.
Topic: A television show owner ...
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 11:49:20 AM
Amybal wrote:
Hi, is there anything wrong in these sentences?
Perhaps a bit of rewording might help.

While investigating the death of Hassan, a local teacher, three people are attacked by an evil spirit called, Penunggu Busut.

Short summary
A television show owner along with his daughter and another man investigates the death of a teacher name, Hassan and while investigating the mystery, they are attacked by the spirit called Penunggu Busut.

My first thought was to wonder why the owner of a TV show would be called to investigate a death. Shouldn't that be the job of the police? Also, The spirit of the teacher is allegedly looking for a successor to replace him, so why is another spirit involved? Something seems missing here.
Long summary
Joey, the owner of television show has been called to Kg Bonang to investigate the mystery surrounding the gruesome death of a teacher. Following his death, the villagers claim that his spirit can be seen wandering the village looking for a new successor. Along with his daughter and another man, Joey investigates the death of a teacher and soon they disturbed by the spirit called Penunggu Busut.