Topic: On Being a Man Today
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 10:34:57 AM
Well said, Romany. I agree.
Topic: On Being a Man Today
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 10:32:45 AM
Lotje1000 wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:

I can't tell you what it means to be a man, but I can tell you what it means to be a feminist and that feminism does not define masculinity as toxic. It describes "Toxic masculinity" and that's something completely different. Feminism doesn't seek to tear down or diminish men, it seeks to tear down the toxic expectations on gender (including the male gender). Where masculinity can embody all manner of men, toxic masculinity enforces only one type and is toxic because it doesn't allow men to be different.

That's not what is being taught here in the U.S., and btw, who is it that is defining "Toxic Masculinity"? Feminism. That being said, however, no man I have even known worthy of being call a "Man" in the traditional sense, approves of abusing anyone. Just the opposite. I was taught that a man defended those who found themselves in a weaker position. That was a real man, not the abuser. But to do so, one had to become strong enough to ensure that could be done.

I think a lot of things are being taught in the U.S. and the bit we each get to see depends entirely on those we surround ourselves with. I believe you when you say that's not what you were taught about feminism. But it is what I learnt about it and a lot of my sources are American.

Another example of the effects of toxic masculinity is the idea that only a man can be an abuser because only a man has power. This mindset ignores all the men who are abused by their partners, especially if their partner is a woman. They usually don't dare speak up about it because no one in their social circles would believe a man could be abused by a woman, especially if the abuse was physical or sexual.

That's certainly true. I have personal knowledge of a young man in his 40's who was physically and emotionally abused by his wife. He finally divorced her, but not before suffering years of abuse at her hands. Taught to never be physical with a woman out of anger, she took advantage of that to physically abuse him.
Topic: Hissy Fit
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 10:26:36 AM
The description of the brain having a hissy fit made me laugh out loud. It was a funny mental picture to me.

When I was younger, I used to get hypoglycemic very easily, which resulted in many of the symptoms Sarrriesfan listed, especially the trembling hands and irritability. Obtaining food became my total focus, so I can relate to the "hissy fit". Doesn't happen as strongly now at my current age. Maybe because of a lower metabolism?
Topic: What is the word for brushing the teeth, etc after getting up?
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 10:15:47 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
I'm used to "get up, get ready". That's normally all we say.

Come on, get up. We have to leave in half an hour and you need to get ready.

"Ablutions" and "toilet" are both archaic words which you may see in "period" novels and films, but they really don't work well these days.

I've only ever heard/seen "morning routine" recently. It seems to have become a Facebook fashion to not only post pictures of your meals before you eat them, but post pictures of yourself cleaning your teeth in the morning.

Really? People think others need to see this? Makes me glad I stay away from social media. Yuck.
Topic: Why is "wanted" used?
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 10:10:51 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Yes - FounDit has it.

As a note, at least when I was young, we were taught (quite forcibly) that saying "I want" was a bit impolite/selfish. It became a habit to never use the phrase.

I would agree with this if "I want" is directed at someone to require something of them. Such a statement would begin with "I want you to..."

In this case, however, using "I want" is merely expressing a personal desire, and would not be offensive, at least in AmE. "Today, I wanted (my desire is) to walk you through a few of the features in our confusing English words course that can help you with your writing.
Topic: 3 options
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 10:05:13 AM
nightdream wrote:
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Just looking grammatically, I'd agree with Wilmar that only #1 works very well.
The other two would easily be understood in conversation, but #2 and #3 say that the people are in a language family.

I'd add #1a. Peoples whose languages are in the Germanic/Mongolic language family ...

Thank you. They would be understood, but are they natural?

No.
Topic: went-2
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 10:02:02 AM
nightdream wrote:
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
It's not common to just use "go/went" alone like that.

EDITED to add: As Wilmar says in your other thread, "The second went is also awkward, in my opinion."

They went on their way, and continued until dawn.
"Go" (with no destination or direction) is not a continuing verb really. When it is used just as "we went" it means "we started" not "we travelled" or "we continued".

"Go/went" is usually followed by a place, direction or point in time, not a time period.

go vb (mainly intr) , goes, going, went or gone
1. to move or proceed, esp to or from a point or in a certain direction: to go to London; to go home.
2. (tr; takes an infinitive, often with to omitted or replaced by and) to proceed towards a particular person or place with some specified intention or purpose: I must go and get that book.
3. to depart: we'll have to go at eleven.

"They went on their way and went till dawn came" doesn't sound right. "till dawn came" is a period, not a point. It sounds like it's missing a direction or destination.
The question which would be asked if you said that would be "Went where?"

"They went on their way and went towards the mountain till dawn came."
"They went on their way and went north till dawn came."

"They went at dawn" would be OK.
"They went at dawn and went on their way" is not bad, but would probably be re-phrased so that "went" is not repeated.

Thank you! Then does it sound natural:

"They went on their way and went on till dawn came"?
No. The second "went" does not sound natural. As DragOnspeaker said, it shouldn't be repeated.

A more natural way would be, "They went on their way until dawn", or "They went on until dawn".

Topic: environments
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 9:56:58 AM
If this is what you have in mind, I would say, yes. It reads well.

When working on my degree, in order to validate the results of my mathematical and computational modelling, I worked on the design and execution of experiments in the laboratory. The experimental activity included the preparation and optimization of the physical properties of superconductors and semiconductors, which involved the use of chemicals, such as X, Y and the ethylene gas.

In order to comply with the regulations associated with the use of such chemicals, I needed to carry out the following actions:
• research existing international regulations for substances to be used;
• perform a thorough risk assessment analysis using both qualitative and quantitative methods in order to estimate the associated risks;
• develop and adopt appropriate strategies in order to mitigate the assessed risks and limit the exposure to anyone where the work was being conducted;
• evaluate the effectiveness of the adopted measures and propose any improvement in the process that can reduce, or mitigate, risks caused by hazards.

In my experimental section, one of the major risks identified was the explosive potential of the mixture of ethylene gas with the oxygen in the air. In order to prevent the severe consequences of such reactions, after evacuating the system, I verified that it was vacuum-tight by checking for leakage in all the pieces of equipment used in conducting the experiments.
The measures proved to be very effective in complying with the spirit of the regulation, i.e., properly assessing and minimizing risks in any process involving the use of chemicals, since no injury, not even a minor one, occurred to anyone attending the laboratory.
Topic: life vs lifetime
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 9:48:54 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
"It's the single biggest opportunity I've seen in my entire lifetime to build a small fortune fast. I urge everyone to check this out before the banks shut it down."

Would it be correct to replace "lifetime" with "life"?

Thanks.

Yes, you can. Both have the same meaning as used here - the entire span of someone's life.
Topic: It's Not the Virus that Scares Me.
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 5:02:32 PM
Really good advice, Romany. Try to stay positive, Sarrriesfan. A positive attitude is good health for the body.