Interests: Psychology, philosophy, thought-provoking discussions
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 9,129
[1.02% of all post / 3.66 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: ice cream in or with different flavors
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 8:36:52 PM
Agree. "In" would be the most common. "With" sounds strange.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Topic: Grammar
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 8:28:35 PM
Amybal wrote:
Hi, do you see anything grammatically wrong in these sentence?
You could simply use "murderer", but since you named a woman as the alleged killer, I went with "murderess". I suggest:

Short summary
A desperate father makes a deal with an alleged murderess to help him find his missing child, only to find out the truth about her sinister plans.

Long summary
Karim is a conflicted lawyer searching for his lost child, Nadia. Desperate, he makes a deal with an alleged murderess, Diana Dahlan, who promises to help him find his missing daughter. The situation deteriorates and Karim risks losing everything when Diana links Nadia's disappearance to darker secrets.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Topic: a strong memory or a strong recall
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 8:22:07 PM
I recall most everything from my days as a youth. Some of it actually happened.

Apologies to Mark Twain.

Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 8:12:37 PM
Although TFD does admit to "queendom". Still, it sounds very strange.

Topic: being G-protein
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 8:10:01 PM
It might be helpful to think of "being" as "which is" or "which are".

In your first post you could have:

There are two types of acetylcholine receptors (AChR) that bind acetylcholine and transmit its signal: muscarinic AChRs and nicotinic AChRs, which are named after the agonists muscarine and nicotine, respectively. These receptors are functionally different, the muscarinic type being (which is a) G-protein coupled receptors (GPCRs) that mediate a slow metabolic response via second messenger cascades, and the nicotinic type being (which are) ligand-gated ion channels that mediate a fast synaptic transmission of the neurotransmitter.

In you next post, you can have:

thanks. how do we know when to use "being" in place of "is, am, are ,was, were,"?
does it change the meaning at all when we say "muscarinic type which is a G-Protein" and "muscarinic type which is a G-protein"?
I really appreciate your help

Using "is" or "are" depends on whether you speak of singular or plural receptors.

Topic: Please check if my sentences are ok.
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 7:54:39 PM
Aoronly Kwilai wrote:

Hi, I'm glad they aren't homework. I just wanted to be sure.

1. There had to be someone we know sneaked into my room and stole my money, and, highly likely, that someone might be Tom.
In American English, there are two common ways to say this:
It had to be someone we know who sneaked into my room and stole my money, and, it's highly likely that someone was Tom.
Or,
It must have been someone we know who sneaked ... "

1. He told me that he will go to somewhere this Friday night. And, if you know him, that somewhere must be a pub.
With this one, I would expect to hear:
He told me he was going somewhere this Friday night, and, if you know him, that somewhere must be a pub (in America we say a "bar" or "club").

3. She said when we last met she would come visiting me sometime soon. And that sometime is likely to be this week.
A slight change:
She said when we last met that she would come visit me sometime soon, and that sometime is likely to be this week.

Are these sentences correct? If there is anything wrong, please correct where it is wrong or make it sound more natural and understandable.

Thank you in advance.

Topic: Natural English-Paragraph
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 7:42:36 PM
D00M wrote:
Hello respected teachers,

Is the following natural? I appreciate any idea or correction.

Please read this letter carefully and take it seriously. This is not a letter from the audience or fans of the network; it, in fact, speaks to the grand idea upon which your company has been based. I refer to the grand idea upon which XYZ has been organizing, managing, and building upon over time — and now, after long years - is just a step away from attaining the ultimate goal. If you cannot make sense of what has been mentioned above, or what follows, please forward this letter to a higher authority, or a manager who you think is completely aware of the grand goal behind your network.

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.

Topic: correct English
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 7:33:28 PM
D00M wrote:
Hello respected teachers,

Could the following be improved in any way?
Without commenting on the sense of it, I can see a couple of places I might make some changes.

I met ABC during the “deep ritual”. He told me that we need a strong idol who will inspire our future soldiers; a cherry-picked girl with magical potential, who- as a popular idol- will lead them to light. And that girl is x.

Topic: Are hyphens needed?
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 3:10:38 PM
I have to amend my earlier post because I have discovered there are times when the idiom should be hyphenated. I added the bold for clarity. So in your example, it would have the hyphens.

From grammarist.com:

Once in a lifetime is a phrase that means an event or opportunity that is not likely to be repeated. The phrase once in a lifetime was first recorded in 1854, and can mean an event or opportunity that literally will not be repeated within one’s lifetime, or more usually, is an exaggeration that refers to an event or opportunity that happens very infrequently.

If the phrase once in a lifetime is used to describe when the event or opportunity happens, (it happens once in a lifetime), it is used as an adverb and is not hyphenated.

If the phrase is used to describe the type of event or opportunity it is, (it is a once-in-a-lifetime event), then the phrase is being used as an adjective and should be hyphenated as once-in-a-lifetime.

Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 3:01:36 PM
Amybal wrote:
Hi, do you see anything grammatically wrong in these sentence?
The short summary works as a brief description, but I would move the last bit of wording to make it read more smoothly.

Short summary
An inspirational story of Lee Chong Wei who, with the spirit of never giving up, becomes a professional badminton player and national Malaysian hero, despite facing various difficulties and obstacles,

Long summary
The movie tells the inspirational story of Malaysia's badminton legend, Lee Chong Wei. Born into a poor family, he never gives up despite the difficulties he went through. His determination led to him becoming the professional badminton player and (omit the "a") national hero that he is today.
Read

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.