Statistics
Number of Posts: 8,437
[0.98% of all post / 3.65 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: capacity/ability
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 3:23:13 PM
Romany wrote:
Carmenex -

I don't regard what was said as a 'critique' in any way. The fact that you mention future plans and how they could lead to an increase in demand for quality research would strike me, as an employer, as a rather large positive. It would mean you'd done your research on the company and were aware of what's going on in the industry.

Hmm, well, by "critique", I meant that it seemed unusual to me that an applicant for a position with a bank can judge whether or not "Y" regulation could increase the demand for quality research. It seems to me there is no way for such an applicant to know this. But it could be that HR might be impressed with this bit of baffle-gab (one never knows, do one?...Whistle )

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Topic: As to whatever
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 3:14:13 PM
Tara2 wrote:
Hi
What does "as to whatever" mean?
As to whatever you should marry him-that's for you to decide.

It sounds like a clumsy way of saying, "As to whatever [reasons you have for marrying] him - that's for you to decide."

Meaning "whatever your reason are", it's your decision.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Topic: It is not violence that best overcomes hate—nor vengeance that most certainly heals injury.
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 12:41:39 PM
There are 3 things you can do in any situation;
1. Accept it
2. Change it, or
3. Eliminate it (that may require leaving, physically, but sometimes that isn't possible and may require additional action)

Topic: Do You know About Harmful affects of Marijuana?(24)
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 12:25:54 PM
Hope123,

You're right. I think there is little point in countering the points I think you have wrong on this subject. We could go on forever about this and in the end, nothing would change. You like your healthcare system, and I, along with many others, am not in favor of what we wound up with in Obamacare. We simply don't trust our politicians to do it right, because they have demonstrated they can't do it right via-a-viz the Veterans Administration, which is government-run healthcare.

That's not to say the system can't be improved, just that I don't think the government can do as good a job of that as private enterprise with regulations for safety and fair business practices. But I've no doubt we get there, eventually.

What really puzzles me is why people who don't live here in the US are so determined to tell us the kind of healthcare we should have. I don't understand why it is so important to folks outside our country to determine what happens to us on this topic. It is strange to me.

Topic: Ernest Hemingway
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 12:12:39 PM
Drag0nspeaker...Applause Applause Applause LOL

Topic: "still" at the end of a sentence
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 12:04:32 PM
robjen wrote:
I am going to make up a sentence below.

(ex) After ten years, you are working for ABC Company still.

Is it wrong to put "still" at the end of any sentences? Please help me. Thanks.

It is rarely done. In fact, I can't think of a reason for doing it at the moment. As you have used it here, it has the meaning of a "continuation". Is something continuing to happen?

The basic statement would be, "After ten years, you continue [still] to work at ABC Company."

As you have it, it would sound like, "After ten years, you are working for ABC Company continuing", and that would sound completely wrong. The word "still" should refer to what you are doing, not the company.

Topic: Question: Could you tell me how to use 'AT' + place & 'IN' + place?
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 11:54:27 AM
One that can be confusing is the use of "home" and "house". In AmE, we often say we're "at home' to mean inside. But we would also use "at home" if we just drove up to our house but haven't entered yet.

Another usage is a friend's house. If we were inside the house but got a phone call asking where we were, we'd say "at" a friends house even though we are inside. But we'd also use "at" a friends house if we had just arrived, but not entered yet.

We would use "in" to indicate a particular space inside the house, our own or a friend's. We are cooking dinner in the kitchen, or I am watching TV in the bedroom.

Topic: capacity/ability
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 11:44:12 AM
Carmenx wrote:

Hi, I would please ask you if the expressions in bold are correct (or, you would suggest a different wording):
I would suggest a slightly different wording.

I believe X Inc. is the ideal place for me to achieve my professional goals because of the bank’s international breadth, enhanced by its plan to expand its footprint in the U.S. equities market, and its demonstrated capability to build a high-quality equity research business.
I’m not sure about including this next sentence. It seems a bit over-the-top to me for an applicant to critique regulations as they relate to a company’s business practices. But to each his own.

Also, the last part of the sentence doesn’t make sense to me. Did you mean “spent by” asset managers? That would seem to fit better.

This capability may be a beneficial asset under the Y regulation when the required separation of research costs from trading commissions spent by asset managers could result in an increase in demand for quality research.
If you do choose to use this sentence, I’d word it a bit differently. One suggestion might be:
This equity research capability may be a beneficial asset under the Y regulation when the research costs, separated from commissions by requirement, could result in an increased demand for such quality research.

Topic: What does this sentence mean?
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 11:03:30 AM
I read it differently.

Naturally, Mazda can only do so much bragging without a Miata ending up on its fastest list.

As I read it, Mazda can only brag so much before it must mention the Miata.

The sense is that there is a limit before something happens. Much like, "I can only drink so much water before I have to stop".

In this case, Mazda can brag, but before the bragging comes to an end, it must mention/include the Miata.

Topic: Many times
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 10:46:12 AM
D00M wrote:
Hello respected teachers,

There are many buildings which many times should be closed up by health department.

What's the closest synonym to "many times" in the given content please?

There is no one word synonym for this sentence, but you could use parenthetical phrases such as:

There are many buildings which, in many cases/situations, should be closed up by [the] health department.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.