Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 33,008
[3.44% of all post / 11.16 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Is "baby" missing?
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:41:58 AM
thar wrote:
I don't see too well unless I really look.

Very profound.

To me, the sentence is lacking a little generally - though it is explained well in the full article.

"A man digging a grave in northern India found a newborn girl buried alive." doesn't mean, really, that she was alive when he found her.
If someone was buried alive, then found some time later, there's a good chance they would be dead.

In fact, the headline is better than the intro sentence. "Man burying daughter finds newborn alive in Indian grave."

Like thar and Weasel, it "feels" better to me to have the word "baby" included, but it's definitely not necessary.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Topic: a participle can be a noun (original and derived nouns)
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:22:17 AM
I'll add some data:
The form of a noun, and whether it is used as plural, singular, uncountable or countable depends on what you want to SAY with the sentence. Probably any collective noun could be used in different ways, but it would be rare or unheard-of in many cases.
For example:
The aged of the fifteenth century consisted of anyone over about fifty years old, but the aged nowadays is those people over eighty. (these are collective, uncountable, taking a singular verb)
"The aged" is counted differently now than it was in the fifteenth century. (this is collective, uncountable, taking a singular verb)
It would be understandable, but virtually unheard-of to use a plural collective:
These ageds are different because of the normal life-expectancy of the different centuries.

First.
MANY nouns can be collective/mass/uncountable or countable in different usages.
Bottled water (mass uncountable) is very common these days.You can buy bottles of water (mass uncountable)from different areas of the UK. I like Malvern water, Lancashire water and Ochil water.
These waters (mass, countable) contain some minerals, but are more pure than many other waters (mass, countable).

Collective nouns are used with singular or plural verbs, depending on the meaning you want to express. If you mean the collection (team, group, etc.) as a single unit, you use a singular verb. If you mean the individual members of the collection, you use a plural verb.
The team trains every Wednesday evening. (collective, unit, singular)
The team all live in Yorkshire. (collective, plural, plural individuals)

"People can be a collective noun meaning a group of persons, such as the English people. The plural of this word is peoples, and means multiple groups, such as the European peoples" - Yes, that's correct.
"People" is two different nouns, with two different meanings.
"Person/people" is a countable noun and means "human being(s)".
"People/peoples" is a countable collective noun and means "race".
There was one person at the gate. (singular countable)
There were three people at the gate. (plural countable)
"Germans" denotes a people which originated in Germany. (singular countable collective)
"Germans" is one of the peoples of Europe. (plural countable collective)

There MAY be others with a "singular countable noun" of different form (like "person"), but NORMALLY, there are only collective singular, collective plural and collective uncountable.
This water is not very cold. (mass/collective singular)
The waters you buy in shops can have many different flavours. (mass/collective plural)
Water is good for you. (mass uncountable)

Topic: these lists...provide a ‘Who’s Who' - confused between two readings
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:38:40 AM
It is probable that America TRIED to have further lists - from spies, collaborators, hacked communications etc.

It's possible that these other sources produced some sort of list.
It is PROBABLE that these other sources did not give a complete list.

It is PROBABLE that newspapers were used to add to the list, and that the newspaper list "Who's Who" was THE most complete list (note: "Who's Who" is a book which contains EVERY person of any importance in government and "society" in the UK. The newspaper list would (if it was a "Who's Who") contain the names of ALL noteworthy and influential people in the USSR.
"Welcome to Who's Who 2019. Over 34,000 autobiographical entries of noteworthy and influential people who impact British life."

The way that paragraph is written, it sounds like the State Department did not have a complete list. The most complete list came from the newspapers.

This is not from the definition of "provide", but from the definition of "Who's Who".
A "Who's Who".
Random House Kernerman Webster's Dictionary defines "who's who" as "the outstanding or influential persons in a community, industry, profession, or other group. It's not "some of the influential people" it is "the outstanding and influential persons".
A real Who's Who is a complete list.

Topic: Most popular synonyms for “tired”
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:01:05 AM
Well! Hi Alyona and Romany (and everyone).

Here are my comments. I'll mark the five favourites with a colour.

1. I'm exhausted - maybe in formal speech or writing, not in conversation.
2. I'm (dead) beat. - I've heard it, sounds old-fashioned
3. I'm drained - I don't think I've ever heard anyone say this, but I'd understand it.
4. I'm worn out - sort of "OK" but definitely not popular
5. I'm done in - I've read it in books, but only very rarely heard it spoken
6. I'm spent - never heard it
7. I'm dead on my feet - "OK" but not super-common
8. I'm running on empty - never heard it, I may have seen it in a book somewhere.
9. I'm fatigued - NO. It sounds 19th century, or even earlier.
10. I'm tired out - Fairly common
11. I'm weary - fairly common, seems that I hear it from mothers with young kids running around.
12. I'm dog tired - fairly common (but maybe a bit old-fashioned now)
13. I'm bone-weary (bone tired, tired to the bone) - I used to hear it, but haven't for years
14. I'm knackered - very common
15. I'm dragging - never heard of it, never seen it
16. I'm bushed - I've seen it in novels, but never actually heard it spoken
17. I'm dead-tired - not with a hyphen. "Dead" means "very" - "That's dead right brilliant!" - so "dead tired" just means "very tired".
18. I'm shattered - Fairly common, but used to be more common.
19. I'm whacked - very uncommon - sounds like a schoolboy phrase from "Billy Bunter"
20. I'm running on fumes - never heard of it in this context. I know it when it relates to vehicles or planes - almost out of fuel.
21. I'm wiped out - very uncommon
21A. I'm wiped - fairly common.
22. I'm wrung out - very uncommon
23. I'm knocked out - never heard of it
24. I'm pooped - I've seen it in novels, but never heard it spoken.

25. I'm buggered - THE most common (It's not swearing, not sexual. Most British people don't even KNOW the sexual, racist meaning that Americans complain about.)

Topic: my corrected version
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 12:51:59 AM
Hi Reiko.

I think you really wanted to know whether sentences '2' and '3' are correct (Weasel told you that sentences '4' and '5' are written correctly).

Yes, they are. The reason that sentence '1' is not very good (at least in British English) is that "on Monday" means either "the Monday which is less than seven days from now in the future" or "the Monday which is less than seven days from now in the past".

The difference is shown by the verb-tense.

I'll do my homework on Monday.
(I'll do it in a few days - when Monday comes round.)
I did my homework on Monday. (I did it a few days ago - on Monday this week.)

I was born on Monday.
- I'm six days old.

Topic: perfect with by???
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 12:37:34 AM
They are all possible - maybe not very common - and more common with some verbs than others . . .

He has usually has come home by 7 PM. - it makes sense, but not common.
He's (he has) usually arrived by 7pm. - more common.
He's usually home by now. - colloquial, common, very natural (simple present "he is").

He usually comes home by 7 PM. - to me, sounds a bit 'stilted', unnatural.
He usually arrives by 7 PM.
He usually gets home by 7 PM.
- these both sound natural.

It has got light by 7 AM. (or) It gets light by 7 AM - these mean different things.

It has got light by 7 AM. - means that it has happened, at some time in the past, at least once, but it's a rare thing. (I, personally, don't like "got" being used like this . . .)
He has got out of bed by eleven on a Saturday, but very rarely!
She has eaten dinner by one, but it's usually later.

It gets light by 7 AM - this is what happens every day.
Routine, habitual, regularly occurring actions and events use the "simple present" tense.

Topic: Don’t eat all that chocolate now ― save some of it.
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 12:18:31 AM
Hi Onsen.
Actually, (I rarely use that word, but it really fits here), your sentence DOES mean the same thing.

However, you are using the grammar of eighteenth century English . . .

I think Middle English (from about 1100 to 1500 or so) mainly used the "eat not" version, and it continued into early modern English.

However, it is not used now, except in some literature (mainly dramatic novels set in Mediaeval times).

You may occasionally hear it used jokingly in the phrase "Fear not, I have arrived!" or something similar.

Most normal verbs use "do not + <bare infinitive>" or "<auxiliary verb> + not + <main verb>".

"Don't tell me that!"
"Don't drive on the wrong side of the road."
"I don't like curry flavoured ice-cream."
I haven't finished all the work, yet."
"She isn't coming today."
"You shall not pass!"

"Tell not me that!"
"Drive not on the wrong side of the road."
"I like not curry flavoured ice-cream."

The only common times you see "main verb + not" are some forms when "be and have" are used as the MAIN verb.

I am not afraid.
Don't be afraid.

Be not afraid.
I haven't any money.
I don't have any money.

Topic: OXYMORA
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 10:00:58 AM
When I looked at the building, I couldn't decide whether it had an irregular symmetry or a balanced asymmetry.

B O I L I N G....I C E

Topic: Phobia List
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 9:36:39 AM

go-on-phobia - fear of being encouraged to buy the wrong thing.

Topic: Pub/Bar Name Association
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 9:31:39 AM

The Salamander - Bath, Somerset

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.