Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 30,422
[3.34% of all post / 11.58 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Stripped to essential
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 3:22:59 PM
It certainly seems like #4.
But it is "stripped to essentials", not just "essential". There are several essential things (essentials) in a sentence.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Topic: feedback
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 2:59:11 PM
Gosh!
There is quite some variation in understanding of the word/phrase.

I knew two meanings . . .

1. If part of a signal is fed back, or feeds back by accident, it affects the final result. Feedback is what makes the speakers "howl" if the system is not set up correctly. It has a lot of similar uses in physics and technology, not only in sound systems - light, electrical signals, pressure waves in air or liquid - anything can feed back.

2. After a show or event, there are often two sets of people gathering data to plan the promotion for the NEXT event.
One set do a survey - asking specific questions "How would you describe the venue?", "What might be improved about the presentation?", "What message did you receive from the speeches?" or whatever.
The other team collect feedback. They just ask one question "What did you think about the show?" and keep asking the same thing (in various different words) until they feel they have been answered fully. (I wouldn't say "collect a feedback".)
The feedback is used, along with the survey results, to plan future events.
The people who were interviewed could be said to have "fed back" their ideas - but normally you'd say that they "gave their feedback".

I've never heard of 'debrief' being used for this.
I've only ever known 'debrief' to be a rather formal affair. After a project, the leader and senior team-members fill in a 'debrief form' - when the project started and ended; whether it was successful; what difficulties were overcome . . . and so on. Then, sometimes, selected members may be asked questions verbally (recorded) - particularly about unplanned problems overcome, etc. This is the 'verbal debrief'. This is used to help in planning future projects.

As Romany says, there are many ways to speak about something.
Romany wrote:
So you can simply "talk" to someone about what happened, you can "consult" with someone about it, you can "discuss" it, you can "talk it over" you can "get someone's take on it" you can "see what they think", or even, informally "pick someone's brain".

"Collecting feedback" is closest to "seeing what people think".

Topic: Word for room for testing
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 2:16:21 PM
Ah, Yes!

"Unacceptably Uppity" or not - "U" or "non-U".

We didn't have a lounge when I was a lad, we had a living room and a parlour (which was used about twice a year for "special guests").

I'd be drummed out of the family if I were ever "U".
Whistle

Topic: Pronunciation last name Clevane in the BE
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 2:00:05 PM
I agree - I would not know, if I met someone with that name, whether to say "Clavann" /Kləvæn'/ or "Clavayn" /Klæveɪn'/.

Thar is right - the stress would normally be on the second syllable - but it's possible that some families with this name might call themselves Clavan /Klæ'vən/.

My 'top guess' would be Clavann - /Kləvæn'/.

Topic: Is there an English word with "krag" root?
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 3:59:00 PM
Perhaps it's two words.

Scrag - thin or scrawny or lean. (From the Swedish Dialect)
Scrag - neck or 'grab by the neck'. (related to Norwegian skragg, German Kragen collar)

Then, of course, the lean end of the neck is the "scrag end".

Topic: Had or have
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 3:45:18 PM
Hi Joe Kim!

Conditionals again! They are very awkward aren't they? Two conditional sentences can be almost identical, but have very different meanings.

Your first sentence doesn't sound right at all - there is a conditional which uses the perfect in the first clause - but you would not use the perfect with 'yesterday' usually.
It's used when you are certain that the condition is 'true'.

A - Don't forget to call the doctor for an appointment.
B - I called yesterday.
A - OK. If you've done it, you don't have to worry about it today.

The second one sounds OK as you have written it.

It is used when you are certain the condition is 'not true'.
A - Did you call the doctor for an appointment?
B - No - I forgot.
A - If you'd done it yesterday, you wouldn't have to worry about it today.

Topic: subject + verb + ing
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 3:35:06 PM
Hi Muhsin Al Namli.
Welcome to the forum.

It's difficult to be certain of the 'part of speech' of a word unless one sees the whole sentence (and I know that sometimes song-lyrics don't really use sentences).

These phrases seem like they would probably be like this:

you talking money This might be a participle phrase acting as an adjective - so "talking money" describes "you".
Also, it might be awful English - meaning "You are talking about money." - in which case "are talking" is the verb.

The American man watching This sounds most like a shortened form of "The American man who is watching" (this is called a 'reduced relative clause' - the full clause is "who is watching" and it is reduced to just "watching").

people living around me Like the last one, this sounds like a reduced clause.
"The people who are living around me"

I can't be certain without the whole sentences.

I'm fairly certain they are not going to be gerunds (which are nouns) because each one is connected to a noun - 'money', 'man' and 'people'.

Topic: The enemy in its revenge ...
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 3:18:29 PM
Hi!
Those are good choices. They are both true (the enemy's purpose was revenge).
However, I think the whole idea is more #9 in the Collins Dictionary. Or all three of them!

in prep
8. while or by performing the action of; as a consequence of or by means of: in crossing the street he was run over.

Topic: Word for room for testing
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 3:06:43 PM
I'm too late to answer the question - I think you already have the best answers you will get.

I was thinking about words for 'rest' and thought of one room which 'sort of' means that - the lounge.

2. lounge - a room (as in a hotel or airport) with seating where people can wait.
Verb 1. lounge - sit or recline comfortably; "He was lounging on the sofa"

Farlex Thesaurus

Topic: raise the price by?
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 2:59:27 PM
Yes - papo is right.

If the price is originally 1200, you raise the price by 400 . The result is 1600.

If the price is originally 300, you raise the price to 400. You raise it by 100.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.