User Name: Drag0nspeaker
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 34,531
[3.40% of all post / 10.26 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Show Me
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 11:28:08 PM

Edinburgh is 13 degrees north of Toronto.
The Scottish Highlands are the same latitude as Glacier National Park and the Isles are level with central Alaska.

Show me what shouldn't need to be said or pointed out.
Topic: FIRST AND LAST LETTERS COME IN NEW WORDS (continued 2014 edition)
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 10:49:13 PM

chavdom

Topic: What is Karlsson-on-the-Roof's most famous quote?
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 10:41:37 PM
Elena McDonnell wrote:
In the English translation I have it is rendered as "It's a mere trifle".

Thank you Elena, and welcome to the forum.
I love trifle - but we won't get into that subject!
Topic: Certainly in America you will need money for tips ...
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 10:21:44 PM
Hi Hope!
I don't remember now which subject we were talking about.

There's the 'repeated word' names like Torpenhowe Hill (Tor = hill, pen - headland or hill, howe - hill, hill = hill) so it's Hillhillhill Hill.

Then there's old words repeated many times in different names, which show the most influential "invaders". "Ham" in a name (Oldham, Buckingham, Widdlesham) is from Old/Middle English and old Norman - most of these date from Norman days. The viking settlements have a preponderance of "-thorpe" and "-by" endings (Derby, Wetherby, Cleethorpes, Yaddlethorpe). There are others, of course - York is the 'mispronunciation' of Jorvik. It's original name was Eboracum - there's an Ebor in Florida near where you used to spend winter.

Topic: Is "When met" grammatical?
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 9:18:15 PM
I agree. It seems to be a passive used for no reason - and then shortened.
"When she was met" sounds slightly more natural, but still seems to omit the subject for no reason.

"When we met her she was sitting . . ." sounds much more natural.

The form "when + past participle" is usually used for "natural laws" and "truths".
These often reanny have no subject to name, so this passive form works well.

When heated, water boils.
(It doesn't matter WHO heats the water. The subject is irrelevant.)
When treatened, the pocupine turns its back on the attacker. (We don't know who or what is threatening - it could be anything.)
Topic: low level violin learner
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 9:04:05 PM
Hi Romany!

Yeah. I don't know why 'fiddle' gives an impression of 'old and battered', but it does bring up that automatically with me too.
Even though I KNOW, analytically that some of the most expensive and 'elite' string-things are fiddles.
In the same class as the "Strad" are some of the Hardanger Fiddles - the hardingfele of Norway. There are some cheap & nasty ones (made primarily for their 'looks'), but many are real class (and in a price-range to make your eyes water!) - the four extra drone-strings add a quality of sound which is unmistakeable.

Take your choice - they're "The Devil's Music" or players are 'gifted by the fair folk'.

Topic: "not half" in British English
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 8:06:36 PM

Romany don't half talk sense somtimes!

I agree, "He doesn't half believe in God" doesn't sound like something one would ever hear.

The nearest I could expect is something like "Gawd, he don't half go on about religion and god!" (He never stops talking about them, he 'preaches' to his friends, he talks and talks and talks about god).
Topic: Translation from old English
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 7:54:03 PM
1) þonne bioð abrocene on ba healfe aðsweord eorla; syððan Ingelde weallað wælniðas, ond him wiflufan æfter cearwælmum colran weorðað;

"Then the oath swearing of men will be shattered
on both sides, and afterwards in Ingeld
will well up a deadly hate
and surging sorrow will cool his love for his wife."
- Zach

I prefer this version - though the meaning is very similar.

Then on both sides the sworn oath of the warriors is broken;
thereupon the deadly hate wells (up) within Ingeld, and in him the
love of (his) wife cools from the flood of sorrow.

(Heidi Pearson, trans.)

another is

There is a total breach on both sides
of gentlemen's oaths, whereupon in Ingeld
deadly enmities will well up and his wife-love
will grow cooler after these surges of care.

(From Longman's - no translator named)

This is a story of a conversation and prediction - basically "What do you think might happen when Ingeld gets married?" (he was planning to marry a girl from "the other side", maybe to end a feud). The answer is basically saying he doesn't think it will work out.
Topic: minced pork rice
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 7:18:17 PM
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned one of the most common non-curry "Chinese take-away" dishes - ham fried rice, egg fried rice, chicken fried rice, special fried rice.

Looking at these and looking at Taiwanese Minced Pork Rice - they are totally different styles of dish.

Ham fried rice is a rice dish - with some ham mixed in.

What I found as "Minced Pork Rice" is a meat dish, with rice as an accompanying 'veg'.

Personally, I'd expect this to be called "Spiced minced pork, with rice" or "Pork curry and rice".
Topic: brimmed
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 6:59:51 PM
Hi Narkom.
I agree with thar on that point.
However, I have no idea of the meaning of "brimmed" in that verse particularly "brimmed from". The usual collocations are "brimmed with" and "brimmed over".

I assume that Yeats knew what he meant - and it's up to the reader to read into it whatever meaning they can find . . .Think