Last 10 Posts
Topic: Haiku Fun
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 9:59:53 AM

So I went without
From the cubby within.
Within to without.
Topic: Show Me
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 9:47:42 AM
- Christmas pudding so rich in fruit and low in gluten (flour) that it won't cut into slices or 'wedges', but breaks apart as you're serving it.

Show me where I should retire to . . .
Topic: pride and humility
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 9:26:59 AM
That makes sense.

I also had the idea that he was referring to people who are "proud to be humble" - those who put ashes on their heads and sit in front of the temple - but are really just showing off how holy they are.
Like the concept I have of the Pharisees from the New Testament.
Topic: Is it grammatically incorrect to end a sentence with a preposition (stranded preposition)?
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 8:28:32 AM
A cooperator wrote:
I am now asking why the sentences end with prepositions although the verbs are not prepositional verbs(idiomatic meaning)

There is no rule that a sentence cannot end with a preposition, whether the verb is a "prepositional verb" or "phrasal verb" or just a verb with an object (which happens to have a preposition attached).

As "B" said: '. . . the "rule" that says it's grammatically incorrect to end a sentence with a preposition (stranded preposition) is actually a myth.'

and "C" said: "It's OK with some and especially so if it's a prepositional verb."

"I went to the house and I went in." ("I went to the house, into which I went" sounds very awkward, but is 'correct' by the rules of grammar.)
"Who are you talking to?" (To whom are you talking?)
"He opened the box, which he pulled a rabbit from." (He opened the box, from which he pulled a rabbit.)
There's a lot of cleaning updates you're missing out on. (There are a lot of cleaning updates on which you're missing out.)
I saw the uncle I was named after. (I saw the uncle after whom I was named.)
I saw Uncle Jack, who I was named after. (I saw Uncle Jack, after whom I was named.)
(I added "I saw" in the last two just to complete the sentences.)
Topic: argument / case
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 8:01:59 AM
Very similar, but (like almost all synonyms) they're not 100% exactly the same.

case n
5. a set of arguments supporting a particular action, cause, etc

Collins English Dictionary
(the underlining is my own)

As you can see from sentences C and D, they are used almost interchangeably.

A case could be just one argument, or it could be many.
Topic: put in/put on
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 7:54:26 AM
No.

You put clothes on (including shoes, hats, gloves etc).

You put your foot in the shoe, or your hand in the glove.

If that is a quote from the definition of "wear in" or "worn in", the red phrase is a typo - it should be "put them on".
Topic: Miracles / magic
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 7:48:58 AM
Slink is a word used almost only about cattle - it means to give birth prematurely.

Many people consider magic to be "all tricks", but still follow the advice of astrologers, and have "lucky numbers" or (for example) a "lucky hat" they wear every time they play golf "because it helps them win".

Magic has two broad categories:
1 - stage performances and "party tricks" which use physical tricks to produce an "amazing" result.
2 - unexplainable actions/results which are attributed to supernatural powers of any sort except gods.

As Sarrriesfan said, "miracles" are produced through the higher powers - God, gods and demi-gods.
Even a saint producing a miracle (as we hear they have done) would do it through the power of god - not through the power of the saint.

Anything else unexplainable, which is attributed to some "supernatural power" is called magic.
It may be said to be done by the power of a spirit - a dead person or nature-spirit (elves, fairies, etc.)
It may be said to be done by "the will and the word" - the power of the human mind, deciding/saying that something will happen.
It may be said to be the work of demons.

It can become quite 'political' - is this person a saint producing miracles, or producing magic by the power of demons?
Topic: On/off your phone.
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2020 9:16:00 AM
FounDit wrote:
[color=indigo]In AmE, we sometimes use "already" as an intensifier, as this definition shows:

I have heard that used in a TV show, but thought that it was a foreigner making a mistake in her English (it was a woman with a very strong non-USA accent).

It didn't occur to me here that it was the same usage.

Within a family (or friends) you will hear things like "Hurry up! We're going to be late" or "Slow down! I can't keep up with you."

But "Get off your phone (already)!" doesn't seem in the same league, somehow.

Ashraful Haque Ashraf wrote:
"I say all sorts of insulting things . . .."

(laughing) That's totally normal for brothers! I have two brothers and, listening to us, one might think we hate each other!
Topic: scrape/scuff/scratch
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2020 8:35:06 AM
"Rub" is just the action of two surfaces touching and moving against each other.
Rubbing may cause a scuff (if one of the surfaces is rough, or if the pressure is heavy) - but you can polish something by rubbing with a smooth cloth (for example).
Topic: position of adverbial phrase
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2020 7:40:14 AM
lazarius wrote:
Nobody knows. But we have the Farlex book:

Well done - just the right reference.
I didn't even know it was called a "focussing adverb" - there's no such thing in the list of adverb-types I found . . .