User Name: Drag0nspeaker
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 34,891
[3.40% of all post / 10.08 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Grammar
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2021 2:43:10 PM
If this is a test, as part of a course, it's not a very good one.

BOTH "was" and "were" are possible in the first one - though it's much more likely that "was" would fit.

One of the participants, who was sitting in the last row, asked to leave the room.
This means that there were several participants, sitting in rows of chairs (with participants sitting in more than one row). The participant who aked to leave was in the last row.
The relative clause "who was sitting in the last row" refers to "one of the participants".

One of the participants, who were sitting in the last row, asked to leave the room.
This means that there were people sitting in several rows. The participants were all in the last row. One of the participants (who were sitting in the last row) asked to leave.
The relative clause "who were sitting in the last row" refers to "the participants".

The first is the more likely situation, but the second is possible.

I agree with Audiendus on the second one.
The relative clause "who have climbed Mount Everest" refers to "the few women". It's plural - "the few women who have climbed Everest" is a group, and she's one of them.
Topic: What really got me was..
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2021 2:30:40 PM
Yes - Wilmar's answer is right. That's better than the three separate meanings.

It seems to be a bit of a mixture between your 'specific' definitions.

It was a bit surprising that it was a boy's voice. It produced some sort of emotional reaction (surprise and interest are emotional responses, not totally 'logical'), so it caught her attention.

Topic: Well past/ Well back
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2021 1:01:26 AM
Well, I would say that "well" in that case is definition #8 in the Collins Dictionary.
well - adverb
8. to a great or considerable extent; fully: to be well informed.

It is most often used with participle adjectives (He was well spoken, Make sure your salad is well washed, etc.) but can be used in many "position" phrases - well back, stay well clear, well past, well before.

It is usually considered very informal or "slang" to use it with other adjectives. "I'm well hungry", "this road is well safe".
Topic: Do use your common sense
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2021 12:43:28 AM
It's mainly the emphasis, but it DOES 'soften' the tone a little.

A simple "Use your common sense!" sounds angry, as if Lockhart thinks Harry is deliberately being stupid.

With the emphasised "do" - "Do use your common sense!" - it sounds more like disappointment that Harry hasn't thought it through properly.

It's not what I'd call polite - but it is encouraging him to think sensibly rather than "snapping at him" for being stupid.
Topic: World tree
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2021 12:24:36 AM
Well, we don't exactly have a world-tree, but there are eight trees which are blessèd, and have magical or spiritual qualities.

Oak, Rowan (Ash), Alder, Elder, Thorn (May-tree), Apple, Hazel and Yew.

Rudyard Kipling only mentioned three of them - Oak & Ash & Thorn
Topic: What are you reading?
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2021 8:21:03 PM
Hi Olivia.
Welcome to the forum.

That looks like a book I would enjoy reading.

There definitely are passages in the Vedas which could almost sound like someone trying to describe quantum physics, Scrodinger or Heisenberg to a layman!
Topic: Book Titles
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2021 8:45:09 PM

An excellent book (and series) in my opinion.
Topic: Picture Association, Part 2
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2021 8:27:06 PM
Topic: A and Q
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2021 8:21:25 PM

Q - I heard a rumour that a politician told the truth last week, could you believe it?

A - As much chance as the devil needing a parka.
Topic: change one letter game
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2021 8:16:30 PM

His version of the EU Anthem would make any German pale.