Topic: Are these sentences natural? May 2
Posted: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 9:11:30 AM
Just my humble opinion:

1. In this job you have to work on weekends

2. That place stank

3. Have you seen 'Finding Nemo'?
Topic: STEROIDS!!!
Posted: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 8:08:33 AM
You know what dog shows are? Beauty contests. Bunch of undereducated though undoubtedly hot babes pretending to battle it out to determine the most beautiful. There are no actual criteria. Here's your five dollar coronet (A lot more, I bet) on a five cent head (fair value). Listen to the answers, don't pay attention to pratfalls. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR-XL-5lffM
and, I doubt that this happens at bodybuilding shows Think
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjRkHtcdi_w

Quote:
You've gotta watch this movie to understand how hard they're training, whether or not steroids:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076578/

When I first watched the video, there was this scene Arnold smoking pot, but it disappeared.

Yeah, good old "Pumping iron", classic. Nowadays they train even harder. Dieting is the hardest part though. This is a 24 hour process. Sleep is a part of it) P.S Arnold did smoke pot, but it was after he won his 6th Olympia.
Topic: STEROIDS!!!
Posted: Tuesday, May 1, 2012 6:00:02 PM
Now, I've read all these comments and I see that the majority of you have been taken hostage by stereotypes. It's good to see some of you being impartial, but some are just rife with hate towards something you know very little about. I hope you wouldn't mind if I clarify this a bit. First of all one cannot get addicted to steroids. The only way to call oneself a bodybuilder is to bust your gut on a daily basis and, what's fundamental - you have to have good genetics for the sport. There are no steroids in the world that could make an Arnold out of a poorly trained guy who isn't built for the sport. By the way Arnold, of course, did take steroids as any other bodybuilder (Lou Ferrigno has been taking them since his teens and judging by his looks now, I won't be surprised if he continues taking them). It's impossible to gain this kind of muscle and sustain that mass while staying on a low-carb or zero-carb diet. The mass would crumble away instanteneously without "gear". I personally talked with a guy who ate nothing but egg whites for three months (!) preparing for competition. Well, it is rather extreme diet even for a bodybuilder, but, in the big picture, it is what dieting like in general. Egg whites, salmon, tuna, water, salad, a little brown rice, maybe a little fruits. Try to eat that way for a couple of weeks (without using steroids) and see how you react if someone cuts in front of you in a line or bumps into you in the street. If a person has been a jerk all his life steroids definitely wonn't help him or her get nicer. But they also do not turn an adequate, polite person into a grouch, or, God forbid, into a monster. There might be some adverse effects in behavior, but they are exaggerated.

Why do they do it you ask? I'm sure everyone of you is trying to reach your goals in life, whatever they are. Whether you play a musical instrument, knit, account, or whether you go in for skating, out for surfing, badger bating... You try to reach perfection in it,and so do they. To those of you who have never experienced euphoric sensations of muscle growth it will be very difficult to understand. The body transformation cause people to view the world around them differently. When a teenager packs on a lot of size it can make him supercillious, abrupt;it numbs his prception of reality to some point. I should know, I was that teenager. Then I realised that being buff isn't all that's cracked up to be. On the other hand there are examples of middle aged men, even elderly women who took up weight training and never looked back since. Not whishing to be banal, but it really gives them wings, It gives them second youth.

You may say they fetishize their bodies and that they don't care about anything or anyone alse. It is not true. What's wrong with the wholesome love for one's body? Almost every woman spends hours in front of the mirror every day - everyone's fine with it. Metrosexuals as well - that's fine too. Should a guy weighing over two hundred pounds with twenty inch biceps happen to take a peak at himself - the situation suddenly becomes terribly wrong. So what is actually the subject of hate here? Steroids or maybe it's the enviable results that were reached with their help? Bodybuilders don't go around beating people up, they don't commit crimes to get money for another drug injection. So what's it to you? It just plain rude to treat them like garbage. They do not deserve this kind of treatment. This is a subculture of strong bodied and strong minded people having to deal with philistine onlookers, outsiders of the sport (any sport).

I have never taken steroids. Neither do I advocate using steroids unless, of course, you are: a) in love with the sport b) healthy to begin with and aware of potential problems that might occur c)already have certain achievements d) know what you're doing. If any of these conditions doesn't match it will be rather rash to use them. Although I'm not a bodybuilder, I respect this sport and I can't stand it when someone lambast it with undue acridity.

If you see 'grotesque' Flex Wheeler's (One of the few athletes (Arnold excluding)to ever reach perfection) photo and still think it's disgusting, then it's clearly not your cup of tea, but, please try to find it in yourself not to look daggers at the big guy in the street.
Topic: Is this correct?
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 2:42:11 PM
One might think, paraphrasing Oscar Wilde's saying, that one who is incapable of writing a book or a textbook takes to writing an article and one who is incapable of doing either - takes to proofreading.
I've also come across some 'questionable' sentences in newspapers, mostly on the internet, but then again, there is a thing called 'commonly aknowledged mistake'. It could be it.
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 1:41:05 PM
Briton wrote:
No, it should be EITHER:

"Chaifetz said the public response to his efforts has been overwhelming."
or
"Chaifetz said the public response to his efforts had been overwhelming."

Think Isn't the second variant the only one that is correct? I think there's a rule called "sequence of tences". Astheart was talking about it,I guess. Or maybe there's another rule which can explain this?

As for the typo - how could there have been such sort of typo given all the editorial proofreading? It just seems strange.
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 8:25:36 PM
Hi everyone!

I was reading an article the other day and stumbled upon the following sentence:

"Chaifetz said the public response to his efforts has had been "overwhelming"."

Do you think it is correct?
Topic: Several questions
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 6:01:39 PM
No, I'm afraid I don't quite understand, in what way it should help?Think I mean, if I can translate them without the software.
Quote:
try to translate some English sentences written here (that you can translate yourself accurately) into Russian, using Google Translate. You will see the difference.
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 5:43:50 PM
Wait, were you talking about "as it is/were" sentences or did you mean some of my other illiterately written ones? It would be very kind of you to point them out for me. You see something which I don't. Come on, what is it?Anxious

As far as I know, there's no translation software which could adequately translate not just separate words, but the entire sentences (well, unless you make some proper adjustments to translate frequently repeated phrases in special sort of text or something). I'm just babbling. I've never actually used a translator. Since I don't translate for a living (yet, at least) any translator is of no use for me. I typed 'she lives here as it were' into Google translate and nothing but nonsence came out, as I thought.

Topic: Briefcase
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:10:23 PM
This thread is hilarious, or what?Applause
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:55:20 PM
Quote:
2.He is punching above his weight as it is.
This is actually pretty good. Use fighting or boxing (probably the best) instead of punching. (Unless, of course, you are really talking about boxing. Using fighting would be what you would want, then.)

I used this one idiomatically. To 'punch above one's weight' means to do something beyond one's abilities.

RuthP, sorry. Got a bit confused at firstd'oh!