Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 5,188
[0.57% of all post / 1.94 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: 'past' Vs. 'passed'
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 9:39:26 PM
A cooperator wrote:
So, all these are wrong since the 'subject' precedes the verb as in 'why the sentence wouldn't have been written ...'

Why domestic violence victims don't leave
Why we cannot say so if that is.....
When you arrive at home, call me, please.
How you did this.etc....

The first and fourth examples are simple noun clauses, not complete sentences. They could act as the subject or object of a longer sentence, but they are not sentences in themselves. Of course, if they are made into questions by subject-verb inversion ("Why don't domestic violence victims leave?"; "How did you do this?") then they become complete sentences.

The first example can be used as a title, although it is not a complete sentence. (A title obviously does not need to be a sentence.)

The second example is a more complex noun clause, as it contains another dependent clause, i.e. "if that is...". But it still does not constitute a complete sentence.

The third example is a complete sentence, because it has an independent clause in the imperative mood, i.e. "call me, please". ("Call me, please" could be used as a complete sentence.)
Topic: Spiral
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 8:32:36 PM
A cooperator wrote:
Could you give me an example when 'spiral' is used as a transitive?

http://www.flocabulary.com/unit/civil-war/

Quote:
...you'll witness how divided sentiments around slavery spiraled the United States into the Civil War.
Topic: double consonant game.
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 10:11:40 AM
implementation
Topic: 'Hand wounded' Vs. 'Wounded hand'
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 9:40:29 AM
Y111 wrote:
Audiendus wrote:
6. This is a hand wounded.

What if the article were definite (This is the hand wounded)? Would it work then?

It sounds slightly less odd, but not much! We would normally say "This is the wounded hand" or "This is the hand that is/was/has been wounded".

However, this construction works in some cases, e.g. "This is the book mentioned" or "This is the place depicted", provided that "mentioned where?" or "depicted where?" has already been made clear.
Topic: Game with the definite article, please contribute! (Part 1)
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 9:20:49 AM
Hi!

If you wish to present this as a game, you may wish to have it moved to the Games forum.

However, as a native English speaker, I think this exercise would be difficult for a learner, because the passage uses the definite article and zero article inconsistently. For example, "effects of convergence" has "the" in the text but not in the title; and the last sentence has "the" before "discharge coefficient" but not before "nozzle gross thrust coefficient". There seems no obvious reason for these inconsistencies.
Topic: Do Robux
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 9:03:17 AM
We already have a game like this: see "Game of Adjectives".
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 8:57:31 AM
A cooperator wrote:
However, it can be possible to describe/modify "a non- defining noun(a man)" with a non-defining relative clause.
I passed by a man his father had stood up.

But this is not possible in English. "His" should be changed to "whose". Alternatively, you could split it into two sentences:
"I passed by a man. His father had stood up."
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 8:48:42 AM
A cooperator wrote:
Although it is out of topic here, I didn't intend to make it as a question. So, I think my version of 'why the sentence wouldn't have been written as...' should be as it was written.

No, it is wrong because there is no independent clause there. You would need to say something like: "I wonder why the sentence wouldn't have been written as...".
Topic: "We hope" versus "We will hope"
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 8:31:25 AM
"We will hope" stresses that the hoping will continue over a period of time. We will keep thinking about the matter and hoping.

It is similar to saying "Let's hope..."
Topic: 'Hand wounded' Vs. 'Wounded hand'
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 8:25:27 AM
A cooperator wrote:
But, I think, in both, there is a reduced relative clause with ellipsis (leaving out words). So, either version is complete, I think.
The child came back with a hand which/that had been wounded".

That is a hand which is/was/has been/had been wounded.

1. The child came back with a wounded hand.
2. The child came back with a hand wounded.
3. The child came back with a broken arm.
4. The child came back with an arm broken.
5. This is a wounded hand.
6. This is a hand wounded.
7. This is a broken arm.
8. This is an arm broken.

(6) and (8) do not work at all as complete sentences. I understand your logic in regarding them as reduced relative clauses, but (6) and (8) sound unnatural to a native English speaker - we would always use either (5) and (7), or the full relative clause ("This is a hand that [or which] has been wounded"; "this is an arm that [or which] has been broken").
We can use (6) and (8) if we add extra words, e.g. "This is a hand wounded in battle"; "This is an arm broken in several places".

(1) and (3) are normal.
(4) is possible, but less common than (3).
(2) (which has the same construction as (4)) is also possible, but somehow sounds less natural than (4). I think this is because "wounded" signifies an act of wounding, whereas "broken" may be the result of an accident. So with "wounded", as FounDit has said, we want to know more (who wounded the child's hand?). So "with a hand wounded" sounds incomplete.

I cannot give you a logical reason why (2) and (4) are possible but not (6) and (8); it is just the way English is used.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.