Interests: Language, philosophy, music
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4,999
[0.56% of all post / 1.98 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Say It Differently Game
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 9:35:20 PM
After his unsuccessful buccaneering antics, he made a long trek back to the land of the Maple Leaf.

We were astonished to find that the safe was empty.
Topic: OXYMORA
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 9:22:48 PM
Incredible beliefs are cherished by the faithful - the more incredible they are, the more intense the faith.

PASTORAL CITY
Topic: Why is "would" used?
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 9:06:10 PM
I suggest we stick to the terms "form" and "time", and avoid the term "tense". Then we might all agree!
Topic: double consonant game.
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 9:42:48 AM
constructive
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 9:19:18 AM
What about the verbs in bold in the following two sentences?

It's time I was going.
You had better come.
Topic: susurrus
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 8:58:16 PM
lazarius wrote:
leonAzul wrote:
There is no difference in the use of the two words.

There is. The first is used with the indefinite article, the second with the definite.

"Patter of feet" (unlike "susurrus of leaves") is a common phrase. The definite article refers to the patter which we know feet make.

lazarius wrote:
And I do not understand how to reconcile this indefinite article with susurrus being a mass noun as it is stated in the dictionary.

Any mass noun can be used with an indefinite article to mean a particular instance of it, e.g:

It is a very expensive sugar.
She had an indescribable beauty.
He had a wisdom which surpassed that of anyone else.
There has been a confusion of terms.
There was a recognition that changes were needed.
Topic: Is a comma after 'religion' and 'in order' needed?
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 8:18:34 PM
Just to add to the comments already made:

Koh Elaine wrote:
XYZ is the only religion, which is not propagating its teachings abroad, in order to convert only the locals.

1. Is a comma after 'religion' needed? No, it is wrong.

2. is the comma before 'in order' necessary? If it were removed, it would appear to give the wrong meaning ("in order to..." would seem to refer to "propagating" instead of "not propagating"). But if the comma is retained, the meaning is ambiguous. So...

3. Can the sentence be improved? Yes - see the last sentence of leonAzul's latest post.
Topic: adjective clause-essential/non-essential
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 7:43:54 PM
I beg to differ from leonAzul. I think the clause is non-restrictive, and the comma is needed.

A restrictive clause would imply a contrast between those UN representatives who discuss important issues related to peace and those who do not. I do not think such a contrast is intended.
Topic: Can You Write with No Verbs?
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 8:58:07 AM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
Wow... That was just GREAT! Unbelievable.

Audiendus, may I ask you: are you a prefessional writer?

Thanks! No, I just enjoy writing in my spare time. I have had plenty of experience on different language/wordgame websites.

I have written various poems over the past few years, including several hundred limericks, some of which I have posted in the 'Limericks' thread in the Games forum.

If you are interested, I have written a number of poems on philosophical and scientific themes (under the name 'Positor') here:

http://www.sciencechatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=21500

(See in particular "It's All About Being" on page 3 of the link.)
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 7:55:55 AM
BobShilling wrote:
His father will be very pleased if he gets the job.
His father would be very pleased if he got the job.

I think it is important to distinguish time-distancing from other kinds of distancing, since the rules for the former are stricter.

He knows that his father will be very pleased if he gets the job. [strong possibility]
He knows that his father would be very pleased if he got the job. [slight possibility]
He knew that his father would be very pleased if he got the job. [could be either strong or slight]

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.