Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 8,473
[0.93% of all post / 3.16 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: If no drainage, the road will flood if raining
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2018 1:57:17 AM
bihunsedap wrote:
"What are these use?" my son pointed the drainage and asked me.
"These are drainage. If no drainage, the road will flood if raining." I told him.

How do I explaint it to my son clearly the function of drainage?

An American child would ask, "What are these for?"

From your description, I understand that your son was pointing at the gaps along the edge of the road that are often called "rain sewers".

When rain falls on a hard surface like a road, the water can cause a flood. The openings connect to large pipes that draw the water off of the surface and either to a stream or a "dry well" that absorbs the water, thus preventing a flood.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Topic: Is the Earth Flat?
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2018 12:09:08 AM
will wrote:
Isn’t it fairly well acknowledged that a sizeable number of flat Earth arguments are actually making an ironic point about the value of critical thinking. There are some very sophisticated arguments made that apparently support the clearly flawed conclusion that the Earth is flat; it’s not always easy to uncover exactly where the line of reasoning fails. And it wouldn’t surprise me if the majority of the (already very small) Flat Earth Society membership were not also purely ironic. You can get a lovely membership certificate for the price of a postage stamp; what better gift could a science nerd wish for?

"Bob" be praised!

Whistle

Topic: Masonry - a great historical mistake?
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 9:52:57 PM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
Hello, everybody!

I've read the "Legend of Adoniram" (I understand in English it is also known as Hiramic Legend) and wanted to share my take on it and it allegedly being one of the foundations of the global masonry movement.

(By the way, I wanted to post a link to the legend's English text but failed to find one. The Russian texts all seem to be based on translation of the 1863 French book "Les secrets et sociétés secrètes" by Compte le Couteulx de Canteleu).

Now, I am not an expert at all, so I am sure I must be missing a lot of nuances and would be grateful, too, to anybody who helps me to fill these gaps, but here is what I think:

1. This is not and should have never become a worldwide story. This is an internal Jewish story - about a conflict between two different strains within Jewish people (Cain's kin vs. Avel's kin). So the first mistake was that this conflict was somehow projected on the whole world and other people.

2. Another and very practical implication of #1, is that although the legend may seem to lay grounds for a strive to overthrow earthly kings, in fact it again refers only to (one line of) Jewish kings. It has nothing to do whatsoever with, for example, Indo-European kings/tsars, or those in other parts of the world. And then it follows that the five-pointed star on the United States national flag and that in the post-1917 Russia (still there on Kremlin towers), which is allegedly a masonry symbol marking the overthrow of the power of kings, has in fact never belonged to any of these places. It may be a legitimate symbol somewhere in the Middle East, but historically completely out of place in the middle of the Eurasian and/or American continents.

For me this has been a revelation. But again, I've never known much about these things.

So I'd be very interested to know what other people think.

There have been many things said about Freemasonry, and associated so-called secret societies. Most of them are "true", for certain values of truth. Please accept what I say about it with a measure of skepticism, yet I encourage you to keep my description in mind as a sort of "touch stone" when evaluating anything said about Freemasonry.

In its essence, Freemasonry is designed to afford the human need for psychological and social ritual with a rational basis. Masonic rites and symbols have been chosen for their historical references, yet in its purest form, it intends to use these as examples of human nature with the option to do better than history.

In the context of most of Europe, the Christian Bible — both Old and New Testament — has played an indisputable role in society. Central to the book of Exodus is the emergence of a Jewish identity free of Egyptian hegemony. This story and its corollaries are broadly drawn upon and recast as allegories for the Masonic point of view.

To read any of this as literal fact would be to miss the point entirely, and would be to engage in the same sort of superstition which it is intended to dispel.

Topic: Is the Earth Flat?
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 1:09:28 AM
Romany wrote:

I look at the whole question differently. Rather than ask "When did people stop believing the earth was flat." I'm intrigues by which group, when, actually thought it was flat?

Long before even the Egyptians, the Babylonians knew that the earth was round. Cave art going back further proves that even 10,000 years ago human beings considered the earth a spheroid.

That, to me, is the bigger question: how did beings with no telescopes, or mathematical/scientific knowledge such as ours, know that the earth wasn't flat.

I've heard many young Americans talk about how Christopher Columbus thought he's sail off the edge of the land. A visit to any scholarly data-base about Columbus will show that he possessed a collection of maps - some ancient, some newer, - which prove that falling off the edge was not a problem which weighed him down!

Yeah, sure, there have always been groups of uneducated people through the ages banging on about a flat earth. If any of them happened to be a Monarch or a leader everyone would have had to pay lip-service to this idea - while keeping quiet about what they really thought. As Bob acknowledged, there are still people who believe in supernatural entities like gods, angels, devils even now. That some of them believe too that the earth is flat is just a result of human nature being what it is: some people believe things which seem strange - and often risible - to others.

Until such time as public education is overhauled there always will be.

For any carpenter who frames a house, the Earth is practically flat with local elevations. For any navigator who sails the oceans, the Earth is practically a sphere with differing seas. Point of view, perspective, and context each influence which model is more useful.

Topic: Reality Exists and Quantum Physics Does Not Disprove That.
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 11:39:38 PM
Epiphileon wrote:
I think it is pretty funny how the title of this post is truncated on the front page,
Reality Exists and Quantum Physics Does Not

There's a mind bender for you.

It is somewhat appropriate, as well.

Part of the cognitive dissonance, you should excuse the expression, between "common sense" and quantum theory is the hoary old platitude, "as above, so below." That might be a convenient expectation, yet it is not reasonable to expect different results under different contexts.

Topic: Would 3
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 9:40:34 AM
Romany wrote:

I agree with Foundit that there should be a possessive before "Mom".

But I'm at a loss as to why the word "his" would be suggested.

The word "someone" is all-inclusive. It encompasses men, women, children, Americans, Africans,Polish, etc. old, young, married, unmarried, criminal, good...it's just a general word referring to a human being.

The question does not ask "Are you one of those men who..." which is the only reason one would use "his".

"Someone" calls for "thier".

"Are you someone who wouldn't listen to their Mom"?

Mostly agreeing, I would suggest that because the sentence directly asks "you", the the possessive could reasonably be "your".

Topic: comma splice and placement of full stop
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 9:36:10 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
The verb should be in the past tense as this is a wish, hence the sentence should read 'I wish I knew what was happening'.

1. Is there a comma splice between 'wish' and 'hence'?

2. Should the full stop be inside the closing inverted comma?

I would suggest "yes" to both questions.

The comma is needed to separate two independent clauses. This is almost universally observed except in very short sentences, newspaper headlines, or advertising copy.

The full stop (period) should be placed inside the closing inverted comma (quotation mark) because it is part of the original material. For example, you have correctly placed the question mark in your first query after the closing inverted comma after "hence". Additionally, because it occurs at the end of the sentence, it looks prettier to have one full stop serve both duties inside the inverted comma. As I have mentioned elsewhere, this last point is more a matter of style among type-setters than a question of grammar.

Topic: Lay
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 2:37:03 AM
D00M wrote:
Hello respected teachers,

Which of the following is better English?

We began to extend the railway track and lay it among more interesting landscape by planting trees, which in turn attracted more wildlife, and by making cuttings through the rock.

We began to extend the railway track and laid it among more interesting landscape by planting trees, which in turn attracted more wildlife, and by making cuttings through the rock.

The second, "and laid it", is correct.

The confusion arises because there are several different verbs in English that sound similar but have different origins and meanings.

There is the verb "to lay" that has the simple past tense form of "laid". It is a transitive verb that means to put something on the ground or a horizontal surface.

There is the verb "to lie" that has the simple past tense form of "lay". It is intransitive and means to rest on the ground or a horizontal surface. Historically, "to lie down" is similar in meaning to a now archaic verb "to lay oneself down". For example, there is a traditional prayer that begins, "Now I lay me down to sleep."

Additionally, there are the verbs "to lie" (to not tell the truth) and "to lye" (to use lye, a caustic solution), and the past and participle forms of these verbs are sometimes confused with the above as well.

Topic: Present Continuous and Present Simple
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2018 1:39:27 PM
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
One more question.

This week - does it mean every day of the week or not every day?

It means that it takes place some time after the beginning and before the end of this week. It could be one day, several days, different segments every day, repeated several times a day, etc.

Topic: correct punctuation
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2018 1:27:08 PM
I agree fully with the above, yet I would also note that the combination ", but" is almost universally required to separate two independent clauses.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.