Home Page
Number of Posts: 8,140
[0.93% of all post / 3.37 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: MASAKARI: The people's choice 'General Purpose Grade' English wordlist
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 4:33:49 AM
Sanmayce wrote:
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
I just wonder when you start examining the Finnish vocabulary ;-)

Hee-hee, nice catch, not having all Latin-based languages is unacceptable - to be addressed in revision D. The things that stopped me from exhaustively covering them, are the desire to have/use only a-z when forming English words and the initial choice to rip only the Latin subset of ASCII coding, expanding to UTF-8 is a possibility, thus diacritics will no longer truncate the original words into only-A-to-Z sequences.

Currently, your name Jyrkkä Jätkä is ripped as three words jyrkk/j/tk instead as two.

My wish is, when I enter writing mode to have a fulcrum (thus is called one superb Russian air interceptor/supporter), to have a master heavy-duty vocabulary wordlist, too often words play games of their own, I want to play too by intercepting their transitions.

UTF-16 is almost acceptably complete. At least UTF-8 comprises European scripts well, yet UTF-16 can handle the most salient Asian, African, and native American scripts. What makes UTF-XX text encodings so worthwhile is that they clarify all the murkiness of the ISO variants of ASCII that haunted the 1990s. Think

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Topic: cardiac arrest
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2018 4:55:56 PM
taurine wrote:
I have got an important question about cardiac arrest in squirrels.
Yesterday I have built splendid new home for my squirrel, because I had seen him earlier indicating that he wants to have a home built. Those signs consisted of:
1. chasing magpie around a tree - around another tree I have got a tape with a hook hanging down;
2. drinking water from a bowl which I prepared for birds for hot summer time, two weeks ago - the bowl filled with water was beneath a rose bush, and earlier squirrel took care to remove all of the petals onto the ground;
3. strolling (no more than 2 meters from me) on top of a roof below my window during a heavy wind and eventually disappearing in the direction where the hook on a bow hangs down;
4. hiding walnuts in the middle of the garden while I am watching him.

And now nothing. Fallen leaves on the ground.
I don't want to become emotionalDrool but something is suspicious.
Maybe he has got cardiac arrest on the spot at the moment I hanged his new home late yesterday, when rain was lashing around.

I don't knowThink

He's really just being a squirrel.

Squirrels build a nest when they need to. It is usually the lady squirrel who dictates the need.

Just like Eve, who became the first carpenter when she made Adam's banana stand.

Topic: Morph
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 5:00:48 AM
D00M wrote:
Thank you.

Do you mean that "ion" should not be considered a suffix in "function"?

The more proper description would be as a connecting form.

As Romany has well explained, both the root and stem forms are 'functio+n' in English. One might quibble that the root or stem is 'functio' with the added connector of '-n-', yet the plain but simple truth is that 'functio+n' is what works in English.

functio+n = something that does something (in mathematics this involves mapping one set of numbers to another set according to a specified operation)
functio+n+al = something that works
functio+n+ary = someone who does something

Topic: Morph
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 4:47:00 AM
Romany wrote:

No. The origin/stem is from the Latin 'functio'.

Spot on! I couldn't have said it better!

Romany wrote:

The study of word origins is called, as you probably know, "Etymology". There are many sites on the Net which deal exclusively with this aspect of language (Just don't use Wiki!).

Say what?

I would like to elaborate on this point, mostly because I believe Romany would have done so, given more time.

A 'Wiki', in general, is a networked forum for collaboration, not much different from this web forum. The essential difference is that a Wiki records any redactions to its threads within a given topic, and these redacted revisions are publicly available. One consequence of this is that a Wiki can remain agile and up-to-date: it is not 'carved in stone'. Yet another consequence is that it is transient, and not always reliable.

If one reads a wiki critically, there is a great deal to be gleaned, particularly if a particular entry in a wiki is well-sourced.

This last point about sourcing is critical to the evaluation of the worth of an entry in Wikipedia, or any reference for that matter. The value is only as good as the contributors and the curators. Any encyclopedia is only worthwhile as a point of departure for research and never as le point final. By their very nature Wikipedia and any encyclopedia are intended to summarize knowledge under certain rubrics and not be a substitute for competency within those knowledge domains.

So I can heartily recommend ( for its general accuracy as an etymological resource for the English language, yet fault it for its lack of transparency with regard to the individual entries.

I can also recommend (, yet it is woefully incomplete and spotty. Again, whilst reliance on public involvement includes public scrutiny, it also involves public bias and filtering.

Topic: ¿Por qué la palabra Internet se escribe la primera en mayúscula?
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2018 10:37:05 PM
No estoy seguro, sin embargo, sospecho que esto se adoptó del uso del inglés.

Además de los nombres propios, las mayúsculas se utilizan con frecuencia para significar una categoría o rúbrica, como si el sustantivo fuera un título para el capítulo de un libro. Esto es muy común en publicidad, marketing y escritura promocional.

En inglés, la capitalización también puede significar un sentido restringido especial de un sustantivo general, como el uso de la palabra "State" en un documento legal cuando se refiere a un miembro de los Estados Unidos de América, en contraste con "state" que referirse a cualquier gobierno soberano.

Topic: ¿Qué significan las siglas APK de Android?
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2018 10:06:04 PM
Vanesa Lucas wrote:
Hola a todos, estoy empezando a ver algunos vídeos para aprender a programar aplicaciones Android y también he visto algunos sitios web de descargar de APKs gratis.

Me gustaría conocer si alguno de ustedes sabe qué significan las siglas APK de android, para el que no lo sepa, son las extensiones de archivo que utilizan en sus aplicaciones.

Espero que puedan ayudarme a comprender su significado. Un cordial saludo :)

De Wikipedia: APK (formato)

Un archivo con extensión .apk (Android Application Package, significado en español: Aplicación empaquetada de Android) es un paquete para el sistema operativo Android. Este formato es una variante del formato JAR de Java y se usa para distribuir e instalar 1​ componentes empaquetados para la plataforma Android para teléfonos inteligentes y tabletas, 2 3​ así como también algunas distribuciones enfocadas a su uso en ordenadores personales de escritorio y portátiles (Note y Netbook respectivamente) ejemplo: Remix OS

Topic: il est grand
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2018 11:03:43 AM
Comment grand est-il?

Combien pouces a-t il?

Topic: moma
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2018 10:55:38 AM
vkhu wrote:
“Ah, come on, won’t you? I like you. I can’t help it, moma, there’s something about you that’s gotten to me. You’re so hard to pin down. First you’re here, and then you’re not here.”

This is a conversation between a prostitute and a man in Mexico. The word moma was italicized, so I know for a fact that it's Spanish. The problem is I can't find any translation for this word. Could anyone help me out please?

It's a nonce word. It doesn't really exist in Spanish. I suspect it is intended to evoke mami, as a form of pillow talk.

Topic: You're wasting electricity.
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 5:01:02 AM
bihunsedap wrote:
He opened the fridge and playing.

Meanwhile, I'd like to comment on the set up for the question.

A more natural way to describe this would be: "While playing around, he [became distracted and] left the fridge open."

Topic: Could It Really Happen That Way?
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 4:43:59 AM
Hope123 wrote:

How does the average person counteract such wealth? Do they need some kind of Me/Too movement to show that what is does not have to remain so?

They follow the original plan and take control of nominations at the local and state level.

It is no mystery that candidates for national offices are largely drawn from those serving in the state governments. If the state legislatures are allowed to degrade into viper pits of venomous demagogues, then it is too late to complain about the cadre of elected officials from which those contesting national offices are drawn.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.