User Name: leonAzul
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 8,589
[0.86% of all post / 2.62 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Structural domain
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2019 7:37:38 AM
Another way to think of it is as two realms, or kingdoms, each of which have their own peculiar protocols and customs yet abut each other geographically. While they both observe the laws of physics, each domain has its own local laws.
Topic: He has retired after fifty years with the post office.
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 3:36:24 AM
onsen wrote:
Hello,

Quote:

He has retired after fifty years with the post office.
(Harrap’s Standard Learners’ English Dictionary)

Does the 'with' in the above sentence mean the following definition, 9?

Quote:

with
prep.
9. In the membership or employment of: plays with a jazz band; is with a publishing company.
with

Yes, that is the correct definition for this example.
Topic: As it works back on
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 1:54:13 PM
alibey1917 wrote:
"In Crowds and Party, I present the good comrade as an ideal ego, that is to say, as how party members imagine themselves. 8They may imagine themselves as thrilling orators, brilliant polemicists, skilled organizers, or courageous militants. In contrast with my discussion there, in the current book, I draw out how the comrade also functions as an ego ideal, the perspective that party members—and often fellow travelers—take toward themselves. This perspective is the effect of belonging on the same side as it works back on those have committed themselves to common struggle. The comrade is a symbolic as well as an imaginary figure and it is the symbolic dimension of ego ideal I focus on here."

I couldn't figure the emphasized phrase out, can you help me?

The source: Comrade by Jodi Dean

In this context, a good substitution for "works back on" would be "reflexively effects ". In other words, in "Crowds and Party", the author examines how individuals influence others in the group through perceived specialized abilities, but here she examines how members of the group influence themselves collectively through a shared self-concept.

Topic: Association game
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 1:06:52 PM
burka
Topic: Good vibes by Cris Janson
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:47:50 AM
AlyonaSunlight wrote:
Hello!

I’d like to know what the following words mean:

I got a good girl
She got a good smile
I kiss her good morning
I kiss her good night
We keep it on the up
That's how we get down
So don't be coming around

I guess keep it on the up means to continue doing something the way we do it

To "keep it on the up" means to stay honest and open with each other. A more common expression is to "keep it on the up and up."

AlyonaSunlight wrote:

The most difficult part is “get down”. Doesn’t it mean to “make somebody upset”

This is a slang expression meaning to do something enthusiastically, usually having something to do with partying, which can be a euphemism for sexual activity.

AlyonaSunlight wrote:

And come around = don’t come to our place?

Don't disturb us while we are gettin' busy gettin' down! ;-)
Topic: Simple, easy, video editor?
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 10:09:55 AM
Epiphileon wrote:
I have a bunch of video files I would like to edit and splice together. Nothing fancy, I do not need animation, multi-trak, special effects, or any other bells and whistles. I searched for free video editors in Google and got a lot of options but they are all far more complex than what I need. Does anyone know of a simple, free video editor that will allow me to join video files, cut some sections out, and maybe do some voice over?

Unfortunately, this is a really bad time for such a request. Up until several years ago both MS Windows and macOS included simple video editors with their standard installations that could handle the most popular CODECs (video stream encoding and decoding methods) and file formats (the standards for presenting the resulting video streams).

For the moment, my best suggestion is one of the editors bundled with a new camera with video recording capability.

One interesting project to keep in mind is VLMC. The flagship project is VLC, which has an excellent track record for access to older CODECs. Although their primary development is under desktop Linux, there is a strong community dedicated to porting the software to other platforms.
Topic: dire straits
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2019 5:00:53 PM
coag wrote:
thar wrote:
Apart from those limited fixed uses (dire straits, straitjacket, strait-laced, straitened circumstances) it is very rare to use strait except for the body of water - Strait of Gibraltar, Strait of Hormuz, Kerch Strait.

I just run into this:
Dier straits, lethal Lewandowski and Monk v Clotet – Football Weekly Extra
(The Guardian)

I first thought, strait is not so rare, after all. Then it took me some time to figure out what it meant here. I guess it's a play of words on Dier, the player's family name.

It's also The Grauniad™, where the budget goes to fact-checking instead of spell-checking!

Whistle
Topic: She can speak French a little. / She can speak a little French.
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 1:26:36 PM
I used to know a little Italian, but she moved back to Naples.

Whistle
Topic: leave off/out
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 11:15:04 PM
Tara2 wrote:
Thanks a lot FounDit!
But I can't understand why "leave off" is used for something in the end not in the middle?

"Leave out" usually means "omit"; "leave off" is an informal phrasal verb meaning "quit" or "cease". Thus, one could "leave off" writing before the final character, but it would sound really odd to "leave off" in the middle of a word and then to resume writing the rest of it.

Whistle
Topic: Using a durable
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 11:06:08 PM
Jigneshbharati wrote:
"The boots are made using a durable material."

What is the grammatical form and function of "using a durable material"?
The boots are made - passive
What does the ing phrase modify here?
Is it a gerund or participle here?

Starting with the easy question, the phrase "using a durable material" modifies the verb "made", and can be described as functioning like an adverb.

There are different ways to explain its form grammatically. Most would describe the word "using" as a gerund.

Some systems explain this type of construction as similar to a phrase headed by a preposition, thus it would be called a gerund phrase. Others note that similar constructions occur in other languages where this would be described as a non-finite preterite, or even clause.