Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 8,456
[0.94% of all post / 3.25 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: We are deluded zombies tumbling down an infinite staircase
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 3:52:52 AM
pedro wrote:

Is there any way to reverse the Escher animation? It would be interesting to see the two together: Those who see the glass half empty and vice versa perhaps.

These look like they are animated to you?

Oh, my!
Whistle

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Topic: Suppose we get down to the truth
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 2:56:07 AM
I agree with RuthP.

You can think of it this way: if Scarlett had been speaking truthfully all along, then Brett wouldn't have commanded her to suppose that hypothetically.

Topic: He doesn't have his fog machine practiced on that yet
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 5:27:25 PM
maltliquor87 wrote:
Thanks, Thar.

Just one last question and I'll put this to bed.

Do the following sentences mean more or less the same (assuming they are both grammatically correct)?

Quote:

c) I don't have my math skills developed to that degree yet

Quote:
d) My math skills are not developed to that degree yet.

They mean much the same. Example c) puts more emphasis on personal responsibility for the lack of development.

Topic: What vs which pain killers
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 1:07:03 PM
Jigneshbharati wrote:
What painkillers will I take after discharge from hospital?

You will most likely be given one or more of the following painkillers to take home with you. It is important that you read the directions on the packet which are speci cally for you.
http://www.therotherhamft.nhs.uk/Pa...from_hospital_-_Acute_Pain_Team_and_Pharmacy/

Please explain the use of the question word "what" in "what pain killers will I take after discharge from hospital"
Why can't we say "which painkillers will I take after discharge from hospital?

We can ask "which medicines?" and in fact it is more "correct", yet in everyday English "what painkillers" is acceptable and perhaps even more common in spoken English.

According to Google, however, "which medicine" is significantly more common than "what medicine", and the frequencies are converging.

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=which%20medicine%2Cwhat%20medicine&year_start=1800&year_end=2013&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cwhich%20medicine%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Cwhat%20medicine%3B%2Cc0

Topic: Bitcoin
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 12:51:17 PM
Quote:
Morocco has a lot of prime real estate for wind energy along its southern coast. But without robust transmission lines to move electricity from there to more populated centers, a traditional wind energy company might wait years for a grid connection before it could start making money.

But if you're connected to the Internet, one option might be to build a grid-isolated wind farm and use it locally while you wait for a connection to the rest of the grid. In Soluna's case, the money-making byproduct that makes local use worth it is mining Bitcoin.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/09/construction-to-begin-on-36-megawatt-moroccan-wind-farm-for-bitcoin-mining/

Now if only they could figure out how to efficiently transmit electrical power wirelessly as well.

Topic: What brands of mobiles are the most compatible with electronic dictionary applications
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 12:15:18 PM
Even if the original need has already been satisfied, I remembered this topic while looking for something else and thought I would share what I found for future reference.

5 Best Offline Dictionary Apps for Android Users (2018 Edition)

I haven't used Android in several years and I cannot vouch for the quality of these, so be careful out there.

--

Additionally, the TFD-Dictionary Pro app can work off-line if the databases are first downloaded and the app is set to offline mode in the settings. Please be advised that the data and preferences are surprisingly large, so 16GB will become rather cramped very quickly if you use the phone for more than one or two apps. If possible, the fastest SD card you can afford of at least 64GB is strongly recommended for a satisfying experience.

Topic: Is "enactment" the right word?
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 5:45:39 PM
Romany wrote:

Actually, 'enactment' has a completely different meaning to me: it's when actors/history nerds dress in authentique costume to re-enact historical scenes. My brain took in "antique club" and ascribed that meaning to it. So I thought it to mean some re-enacters were acting out a little scene to show how some unscrupulous people in the antique trade had acted. But then its purpose would not be to "trick" the current audience, but rather to demonstrate how people had been tricked in the past.

Hadn't thought about it that way, yet it does make sense.

Let's hope robjen returns and clarifies which sense of "enactment" was intended.

Topic: 'Personal titles' and 'job titles'
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 8:24:43 AM
Romany wrote:

It's why we don't, as a matter of course, address people as Sir or Ma'am (which latter is the prerogative of the Queen anyway!), and why we address each other by first names no matter what one's place is in any hierarchy

Which is precisely why, as a matter of course, we Americans refer to each other as "Sir" and "Ma'am", because we each are all worthy of respect!

Think

Topic: Ape and monkey
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 5:52:56 AM
thar wrote:
Then how come this dictionary entry?

Quote:
a) Singes (de l'Ancien Monde). Singes catar(r)hiniens cynocéphales quadrupèdes possédant pour la plupart de longues canines et comprenant, parmi les espèces les plus connues: les babouins, les colobes, les macaques, les singes Rhésus et plus généralement les singes à longue queue.

Is this a case where the language in practice differs from the official version? Or is this outdated?

Think

It's different.

In English, an ape is a separate clade from a monkey, yet in French an ape (singe) is the more inclusive category.

This is yet another example of how words do not correspond exactly to each other across different languages.

Topic: Ape and monkey
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 5:32:26 AM
There is a distinction between «macaque» (monkey) and «singe» (ape) in the French language.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.