Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 5
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: t-bones something
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:01:52 AM
Hi, vil!

Sometimes the Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/) can be of real help with colloquial expressions like this.

Here's what it suggests:
T-bone: "when a car crashes into another car forming the shape of a T."

In your context, the Driver rammed his car head-on into the side of Nino's vehicle. As simple as that. :)
Topic: Looking for a word to describe a person who doesn't understand parody or scifi.
Posted: Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:56:54 AM
"down-to-earth" as an attribute to all those "pernickety sticklers". I'm not really sure it has any of the negative connotation you expect to see, but, for me, it's the best fitting word to describe someone devoid of any imagination.

And that's quite a huge stock of tongue-twisting words you're building up for some unlucky person, you meanie :)
Topic: A Slogan
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:50:49 AM
Ehm does "cherish" really fit into that context?
One'd think that's something for lovers or mother-child relationship. Oh, and hopes :)
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Topic: Long Live Queen's English?
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:53:51 AM
thank you,intelfam! that was really very interesting :)
yeah, I heard that BBC is currently drifting more and more away from the standardized english towards regional dialects and such. it's just that the BaHrain variant struck me as not a particularly British-sounding one. could even be a wee bit difficult to pronounce :D
Topic: Long Live Queen's English?
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 5:32:11 AM
Hi, dear friends! New forum troll here ;)

I've been following your threads for a while and the question I'd like to now surface with is actually a phonetic one:
What would you attribute to the formely silent /h/ now popping up in the English speech?
I first noticed it in the word 'vehicle' /'vi:hikl/(though only heard it from Americans, could be an AmE thingie) and then in the word 'Bahrain' in BBC programmes, where the 'loud h'-variant /ba:'hrein/ was the only one. Wells' Pronunciation Dict. clearly says /ba:'rein/ is what most BrE speakers say.
Is it a new norm crawling in? And how's Received Pronunciation, aka Oxford, Queen's or BBC English faring? Is it not that BBC anymore?

I'd love to hear the opinion of native speakers and otherwise :)