Profile: Levantine
About
User Name: Levantine
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 14
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Those who assume a character which does not belong to them, only make themselves ridiculous.
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 3:03:49 PM
"Those who assume a character which does not belong to them, only
make themselves ridiculous." - Aesop

The best demonstration of regard for an idea is to look at it from as many angles as possible while checking whether it is right. And the first angle I choose is ...

* Is there any idea, or common wisdom, or prevailing view that presents its opposite? *

Yes.

"Fake it 'til you make it" (also called "act as if") is a common catchphrase that means to imitate confidence so that as the confidence produces success, it will generate real confidence. The purpose is to avoid getting stuck in a self-fulfilling prophecy related to one's fear of not being confident..., e.g., by thinking, "I can't ask that girl out because she would sense my lack of confidence." The article How You Too Can Be an Optimist in Prevention points out, "In research at Wake Forest University, for example, scientists asked a group of 50 students to act like extroverts for 15 minutes in a group discussion, even if they didn’t feel like it. The more assertive and energetic the students acted, the happier they were."[1]

The phrase is similar to Aristotle's notion that acting virtuous will make one virtuous. The phrase was introduced into modern language in the late twentieth century.

It is often recommended as a therapy technique for combating depression. It has been widely popularised on the self-help TED talk by Amy Cuddy, Associate Professor at Harvard Business School.

Moral: Whatever you choose as valid or true, avoid the fate of a a slimy, spineless subordinate to anything that's happens to speak in front of you.
Avoid living as a person-phantom, a something nondescript that just passes through life instead of living it, a nothing, a chameleon real chameleons would be ashamed of.
Topic: Unnatural sentences?
Posted: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 4:29:02 PM
"But the greedy of Kasim made him forget the magic word to open the cave door. So he got trapped inside the cave.

In the meantime, came the robbers back into the cave who had gone out for a while and found the intruder Kasim and chopped him to six pieces to death."

To make a really good answer one has to know the context as much as possible: So, I can only speak with much reservation: I'd have written...

"Kasim's greed made him forget the magic word needed to open the cave door. He got trapped!

Soon came the robbers back into the cave and found the intruder. They chopped Kasim in six pieces - to his death."

DEFENSE / EXPLANATION:

I avoid the word "was." A writer in The Guardian said he avoids "was", "is" and "are" because they make a mind-numbing, anti-dynamic effect, AND people tend to use them too much. The goal is to keep their numbers low.

I avoided the words "so" and "thus" because they are kinda stupid. The context is the hour of doom, the facing of the truth merciless. "So" and "thus" are words for atmosphere of absentmindedness and lack of worry.

"Soon came the robbers" sounds folksy: good for a traditional Oriental tale, and easy to read. It's an unusual order of words, but easy to read, and it *is* used sometimes.

Is "chopped to death" possible?

Yes. I also think:

- If you want to be honest/faithful to the original, you would look for ways to keep "six pieces"

- At the same time, it's bad to put "six pieces" at the very end of the sentence (even worse at the end of the story.) Whatever one puts at the end of X, one gives that thing a lot of emphasis. So, I'd look at the sentence or the story and tell to myself:
What it is about: is it about the robbers' customs in sadism, their mentality; or is it more about Kasim; or something else. Whatever is key, take care the end doesn't contradict it.

Avoid starting sentences with "But," except if the sentence is uttered by somebody disturbed.

The English language sentences are generally constructed with this order:
1 the doer, 2 the action and how it is acted, 3 upon what it is acted, 4 the place, and 5 the time. 4 and 5 can come before 1 without much problem. Breaking of rules should be done when there is inspiration.
It's recommendable to check at Google Search how many have used the "xyz" phrase.

That's all, for now at least.
Topic: The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are...
Posted: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 10:19:51 AM
Quote:
The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right.
-- Mark Twain

Yeah, that's why the world is getting better and better: because nearly everybody sides with anyone who is in the right.
Topic: A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 11:10:27 AM
"A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on."

moniquester: Ideas live on because people share them through the ages. .... Were it not for people and nations of people, ideas would be passed on [....] not at all!

I agree. The quote may promote the belief that ideas can matter in a world without nations, where the life and death issues of 'a man' don't essentially matter.
Topic: A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 11:02:06 AM
"Be the change you wish to see in the world!-Gandhi"

Lyrical poetry and epic action hardly go together. Plus, the quote is a fabrication.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mahatma_Gandhi#Disputed

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/ahmedabad/Misquotes-that-Bapu-is-forced-to-wear/articleshow/10211948.cms?referral=PM
Topic: Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 4:53:37 PM
Quote:
Mozart had written his first symphony by the age of 5.

There are solid reasons to doubt this. Mozart was, when one looks closely, one of the first manufactured musical "icons."

"In remarkable musical research conducted in 2007/8 by Luca Bianchini, Anna Trombetta and Agostino Taboga of Italy the theatre score of the first performance of 'Le Nozze di Figaro' (1786) was analysed in detail from microfiches made at the Austrian National Library, together with the background history of that work. A rare event in Mozart research. The result ? This opera has music NOT by Mozart. It was, in fact, only a hastily made arrangement made by Mozart and da Ponte in Vienna of a work already existing in the German language. Which was staged full of musical and textual errors in its new Italianised form in Vienna in May of 1786. A version that was hissed and booed in its short run in Vienna. Mozart was NOT the composer of this music."

For more see -

http://www.lulu.com/content/2710313

http://www.musicalrevisionism.info/view/articles/1/The-Manufacture-of-Mozart- Preface.html

Quote:
[T]here is growing but little known evidence from detailed study of manuscripts and other lines of evidence that Mozart’s entire career was almost entirely manufactured…..

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message986541/pg1

The music is great, beyond dispute. It's just likely that there was a 19th century version of Disney's studios, where it was produced and edited by artists paid to remain anonymous.

Cheers

Topic: Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 4:27:18 PM
Quote:
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius.
- AC Doyle

The quote is from the novel "The Valley of Fear," first published in installments from September 1914 to May 1915. (It is the fourth and final Sherlock Holmes novel by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.)

Here's the context:

Quote:
Twice already in his career had Holmes helped him to attain
success, his own sole reward being the intellectual joy of the
problem. For this reason the affection and respect of the
Scotchman for his amateur colleague were profound, and he showed
them by the frankness with which he consulted Holmes in every
difficulty. Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but
talent instantly recognizes genius, and MacDonald had talent
enough for his profession to enable him to perceive that there
was no humiliation in seeking the assistance of one who already
stood alone in Europe, both in his gifts and in his experience.

http://www.online-literature.com/doyle/valley_fear/1/

Topic: One Word, Two Meanings.
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 3:28:50 PM
That disco jumped in the days when the jumpers jumped on the jumpers that jumped, until one day local gangsters in jumpers jumped the jumpers, causing the whole jumper fad to jump the shark.
Topic: And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 3:18:21 PM
Quote:
And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country. -

- said the man born in a multimillionaire's family, from the position of a president who reads a script mostly written by others for him; surely said most charmingly - because he was under a daily regimen of steroids (they influenced his behavior so much that his marriage became a total farce).

Never mind the speaker, let's focus on the demand as such. The term "your country" is highly ambiguous: a country can mean primarily a certain land mass, or primarily the people there and their society - or their state, everything can take a priority over something else; the livestock can take priority over the poorest people. And which country is yours, if you're an American colonist in 1776?

If all people attempted to follow the demand, USA could have hardly become what it is in essence; an independent country & a promised land for immigrants. That's to say, it's an absurdity.

It's also a demand for sacrifice to the great Moloch.
Topic: Better beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.
Posted: Friday, April 4, 2014 4:02:52 PM
Trivium Discipulus:
Quote:
An abstract monetary weapon is being pointed directly at your head and the heads of your family, including your children. Especially your children.
Wake up and take positive action to resist this evil (page 2 of the linked PDF) and help educated your community.

1. An abstract monetary weapon is also pointed at me by a head of my family.
2. I have no children.
3. I have no community.