User Name: Wordscrafter
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 9
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: french words in English
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:13:35 AM
Words from french origin used in English shouldn't have any accents; forget about them. Also keep in mind that some of them have lost their initial meaning along the way (like debonnaire), or even do not exist in french even if they sound french (cause celebre, which is unknown in french, even writtent with accents "cause célèbre" doesn't exist at all!).

Anyway, England and France relationships have been a (quabbling) family story since Guillaume / William / Whillelm the Conqueror paid a visit to the Island. A nice read on this is "1000years of annoying the French", hilarious!

Enjoy! Cheers, au plaisir!
Topic: Need some help with a presentation
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 12:53:17 PM
Here are my tips from a seasoned lecturer. Please, note that this method is very anglo-saxon, and may need some cultural adaptation with the audience you lecture.

The main advice'd be to tell your audience right from the start what you want to tell them. Be clear and straightforward, keep it simple but be explicit, so that they know what you're aiming at. And it'll be easier for you to follow your outline as you have stated your direction loud and clear.

And for a fine tuning of the organisation of your discourse, I advise you to search the internet with the keyword: "speech outline templates";

Furthermore, here are the steps to follow to craft your prez or lecture:
1st, write down everything that comes to your mind about the topic. No censorchip. Collect everything relevant. Research, ask.
2nd, among those data, hierarchise your points. Decide wich element is worth being emphasised, which one is the most important, then second, third, etc. In the end, you should have some kind of "podium", with at least three main points. Theses 3 points should be emphasised during your prez.
3rd, decide a layout, an outline, a roadmap that you'll follow. This outline should put these points in perspective, like a synergy. As a beginning, decide on a striking fact, for example, to grab the audience's attention. All along your prez, be careful to continually recap, summarise your preceding points, with a nice global one at the end.

Good luck, and enjoy public speaking, it's rewarding!
Topic: Prostituting Knowledge
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:41:20 AM
I have to add my voice to Ms B.Have: expert knowledge has a value, whatever this value is; it takes time, effort, intelligence, also money to gather it. In any formn we have to pay a price for it. Free knowledge still comes at some price (uncertainty about value, structure, freshness, bias, apropos, etc...). And copyright is there to remember us that behind every creation there is a person who took some time to create; a just retribution seems morally fair.
Topic: to chuck out the regal niceties of the presidency
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2012 11:56:26 AM
Yes, definitely! It also means that Sarkozy was'nt part of the usual "lineage" of Presidents. France's presidents were always supposed to have some pedigree. And Sarkozy was an exception to this rule; he wasn't "part of the family", background and educationwise.

Also, France is a very formal, conservative country. Presidents are supposed to behave in a specific way, demonstrate certain values, etc. This is also why the term "presidentiable" has been coined. It means that any serious candidate should display a acceptable behaviour, demonstrate a more formal poise.

Some examples of behaviour many french voters resented concerning Sarkozy("ça ne se fait pas de la part d'un président": having supper at the Fouquets in the following hours of his election, being invited onboard a luxury cruiser near Malta by a wealthy friend, wearing a Rolex and advising every french to try and buy one, rebutting a worker at a factory with "Casse toi pauvre con" (get the h.. out of here, s..r!), etc.

Now, Sarkozy having been the exception to the rule, with François Hollande, France is back to the former implicit "lineage" and behaviour formalism tradition.
Topic: Please Don't Be Browser-Shy
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 4:46:46 AM
Dreamy, you raised a good point, and I too often feel the same as you do. But at the end of the day, I have to agree with Romany. A forum is a place where you can dscuss and interact. And we all know how important it is to interact with others, instead of - only - opening drawers of pre-canned knowledge. Cheers to all!
Topic: Arrivee
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 7:29:53 AM
Yes, in french, there is a word "arrivée" = arrival.
Topic: Arrivee
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 5:29:24 AM
I confirm that when capital letters are used, in french, accents may be omitted - practical keyboard reasons, and may be others which I dont' know. Giving theses sounds properly are rather important in french. You get used to it by practicing.

One-in-3 additional info:
1/ "é" should be pronounced with an intention to give a kind of "closed" sound, like the spanish say "Pedro". It is caracteristic of the french south accent (Marseille, Cannes, Toulouse, Perpignan, etc.). Down there they'd tell you "Vé!" instead of "Vois!" (regarde! or Look!).
2/ "è", on the contrary, means that you "open" the sound. Like in German, when one says "Die Berge" (Mountain).

3/ the verb "Arriver" also means to "manage to do something", "to make it". Ex: "Je suis enfin arrivé à le rencontrer", "I finally managed to meet him".
And, of course, to arrive: "Je suis arrivé de bonne heure", "I arrived early".

Enjoy! A bientôt!
Topic: If we used money to buy things with, instead of love and kindness and the desire to please one another, then we should be no...
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2011 9:21:12 AM
Well, haven't we all already experienced some confusing situations like trying to be on the same page when defining our happyness and the same notion for others?

Money is factual. You decide a price for a commodity. Buyers agree or not. Buy or not.

Now, what about "love"? Each of us has a different definition of love.

Here, in Europe, all nations - except England - has the same currency by now, euro. Though, how much those nations differ in the way they use, spend, earn that money. They transform a factual commodity into a cultural behaviour. d'oh!
Topic: If we used money to buy things with, instead of love and kindness and the desire to please one another, then we should be no...
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2011 7:26:23 AM
In my opinion, it's mixing apples and oranges, here. Love is like the sun, money like the moon. They are different commodities. Many people tend to try and compensate what they miss in any of these comodities (love, money, recognition, richness, etc.)with the opposite. It doesn't work that way. Money is ok, love, too. But they do not apply to the same field.