User Name: Maximilian
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 35
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: The Free Dictionary will not work properly with ad-blockers
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 2:36:33 AM
I've been having problems with the site since several days ago, but never imagined the situation could have anything to do with Adblock Plus —a Firefox plugin for blocking ads, in case someone reading this isn't aware of it being installed in their system (go check your plugins list). I've had this plugin for quite a while and it never gave me trouble before on this site, but I guess ad blockers may eventually become the problem itself as far as I've been able to experience in a couple of websites so far. Many features were not working until tonight when I got a message suggesting that the problems may be due to the ad blocker, so I went to the Adblock Plus options and disabled its ad-blocking mechanism on The Free Dictionary. Curiously, I may need to repeat the disabling operation a couple of times for the same website, or even more than twice. Somehow, ad blockers do these things to you Think

Everything seems to be working fine again Pray Thanks for finding out what the problem was! Applause
Topic: Seeking help on Glyn Maxwell's poem “Anything But the Case”
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:42:27 AM
Hello all!

I am currently analyzing Glyn Maxwell's poem Anything But the Case and could use some feedback on it. Here's the poem:

Quote:
Do me my elegy now, or I'll scrawl the thing
I scrawl as you're going or screw in a ball when you're gone,
Or you and I write unaware in each other's tongue
That you or I ever set foot . . . Or do what our son
And/or little daughter got done: got our brilliant names
Pricily grooved in marble by one skilled
In times of loss; dream iridescent dreams
It's that first Saturday. Let this hour be filled
With anything but the case, so that Time the clerk
Goes panting in horror from gremlin to error to glitch
And his screen is stripes and he knows he saved his work
In one of a billion files but fuck knows which,
And he lets us alone or, at worst, as we tiptoe by,
Feels we're familiar, can't for the world say why.

I believe the poem presents, in general terms, an unhappy relationship between narrator and his/her spouse. I'm trying to pick up its sense from line 8 onwards, particularly the sense of the word case. Could someone please tell me if you feel that case here implies situation or facts, as I believe it does? Perhaps it's too obvious and the word here carries nothing but its usual meaning, but I'm consulting because, according to some pundits, Glyn Maxwell is a difficult poet and so I want to make sure I'm not missing something important here.

Whatever interpretation you can draw from any part of the poem will be most welcome. Thanks beforehand!
Topic: That darned English pronunciation!
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 8:54:43 PM
But of course I love the poem, which I have read before. Thanks for refreshing my memory about it! Applause
Topic: That darned English pronunciation!
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 8:45:50 PM
I perceive English pronunciation as a challenge. I've never really complained about its particularities Dancing
Topic: Tongue twister
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 10:10:51 PM
Q: How much ground would a groundhog grind if a groundhog could grind ground?
A: A groundhog would grind all the ground if a groundhog could grind ground.
Topic: People single or plural?
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2012 10:34:53 PM
ClubFavolosa wrote:
(...) I'm in doubt how to write the following lines grammatically correct (grammatical correctly?)

I would say: I'm in doubt as to how to write the following lines in a grammatically correct form / with grammatical correctness.
Topic: People single or plural?
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2012 10:25:18 PM
My humble take would change it as follows:

More than twenty languages have an official status in the EU. By 2012 the exact number is twenty-three. Bulgarians are the only people so far within the EU who use the Cyrillic script.

NB:

As of means on, at, or from a point in time onwards. I think the preposition that better describes what you mean is by, as I wrote above in bold.

People is a plural noun. Therefore, if people is the subject then the verb takes its plural form. However, in your sentence the subject is Bulgarians, which is also plural, so you say Bulgarians are.... Otherwise, you can also choose to refer to their language by something like what DragOn wrote a few posts above.

I took out the Starting with zero fragment just because I'm unsure of its meaning.

It's the European Union. Therefore, it's the EU (remember to place the article the before EU).
Topic: Idiom lose out of sight
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2012 9:37:13 PM
And also: the cookies slipped my mind and got burned in the oven d'oh!
Topic: 12th and 13th storey / storeys
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 11:37:18 AM
The sentence refers to two storeys, the 12th and the 13th. The coordinating conjunction and gives the plural idea. Besides, by resorting to logics the staircase landing is not between one storey or another, but between both of them, that is the two of them, which is plural. Therefore, it's all in the conjunction being used.

As further examples, though this time with subject/verb concordance:

(both) Kate and Sarah are good at algebra.
(either) Kate or Sarah is good at algebra.

I hope this helps a bit.
Topic: A question on conditionals
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:00:48 PM
Thanks, it's good to be back!