Profile: Seth
About
User Name: Seth
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 15
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: opinion piece: How long can low standards continue boosting high growth?
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:44:48 AM
China ... with its exploding water-melons overfed with hormones ... How can one say that lowering the food standards is okay when you see that ... Some farmers even got hurt by the sent flying seeds.

I know it's about milk and not the rest, but still, it brings up a recurrent problem in China. People are getting poisoned by the food they are supposed to be able to buy safely.

Now we say less protein in the milk, and more germs, in a country where some people have already a hard time getting a grip on animal proteins (the most efficient proteins by the way). It's like telling to somebody that is hungry to put more water when he makes his soup ... it's the opposite of what should be done ...

So I agree with some previous comments, it tastes sour.
Topic: quotation
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 10:54:13 AM
Simply put: I won't die before I get my revenge on you
Topic: Everything but ...
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 10:11:16 AM
Depends who you talk to like for every language but yeah it i commonly used ... by some people. They'd rather use (I'm the only that passed) instead of (Everyone but me failed) the latter tends to focus more on the failure of Everyone, whereas the first one tends to focus more on the speaker that passed ( I vs Everyone)

But still you'll find this grammar almost everywhere so yep you'd better get used to this rule.
Topic: Sports Violence
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 3:52:10 AM
In France, after most soccer games there are problems ... Burned, turned over cars, fights, sometimes murders or racial crimes ... Why is that so .. Frustration I would say.

It appears to me that frustration is the main factor, but of course alone, it is always a damp-squid. As the Vancouver Police said, some individuals prepared the riots coming with weapons, masks and so on.

Now, the Canucks fans were angry, frustrated, they needed something to destroy with their own hands to cool down ... then they see 2/3 people burning a car ... and they follow. If those 3 suckers hadn't done anything ... nothing would've probably happened ...

This is the crowd effect that works like dominoes ... one starts and the whole rest follows. Then the police come in and smash faces along with knees and arms. So those that weren't already rioting go crazy at the sight of the police rampaging on "them", thus increasing the domino effect.

Still according to the Vancouver's police, the thugs that started everything were probably from outer areas to Vancouver.

You are from Buffalo and nothing happened there because there was nobody to start anything, or because just behave better than others. Each city has its own "culture", and Vancouver is a city where drug and alcohol are everywhere. So even if the city is calm usually, it seems easy to set it on fire.

France is an other problem, a racial problem mixed with religious problem and a high need for "kicks" from certain people.

Then Japan and its culture press down any kind of riot simply because the people are wayyyyyy far from understanding the meaning of it and don't see the point in destroying cars to suppress your anger.

Germany, also racial problems and so on ...

there isn't one answer, but thousands...

Topic: Best word
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:53:14 PM
"zero", because it's also a number, and can have to meanings "zero problem/zero solution". It has 2 ways to be written and can morph into a verb.

Also has the connotation of "the opposite of a hero"
Topic: "Wish"
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 4:14:30 AM
Okay it's wrong grammatically and blah and blah and blah ... BUT !!! English isn't a language fixed with rules like French.
So People mostly say " I wish I could, I wish I were" in Britain and such, but in America, it's quite free depending on how many people actually use it + the whole bunch of immigrants that never learned English correctly and crammed their language in.

Exemple: I wish I could be with you / I wish to be with you / I wish (that right now) I am with you. The last one just stems from a trend that young people have, of "skipping" the mark of the subordinate clause. (he told me THAT he wished to be with me).

In Japanese they have an interesting way to act on subordinate clauses, using the verb say (He wished to be with me \that thing said\ he told me) basic translation, maybe that help you to understand the "That" a little better.
Topic: I didn't do nothing or I did nothing ?
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 4:00:20 AM
The "I didn't do nothing" is just the informal for "I didn't do anything"

They also tend to use "I ain't did nothing" which has the same meaning
Topic: Are these sentences natural? June 13
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 10:05:37 AM
Not 100 % native but I guess I can leave my opinion here. To me they all sound correct, even though I'd rather use "We ran out of " in the second sentence.

Then I'd rather point out the actual "usage" of these sentences. You'd never say "Can I squeeze behind you to put this dish into the dishwasher". People would rather use "Sorry, I'd like to put this in the dishwasher"

"Where did you get smacked" "Where were you hurt" sounds better to me but okay.

Topic: BFF - Does that even mean anything anymore?
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 1:55:25 AM
BFF, in Vancouver one of my friend used to refer to it as "Best fuck*** friend" ... Basically between a fling and a serious relationship. So no, I don't think it has anymore the meaning you were implementing to it.

Then , yeah, people are distant and you're right ... but We are probably the same. I've been so disappointed by close people that I'd rather consider new comers as "recyclable" friends / throwable / trashable and use them to their fullest until I don't feel any need or interest in which case I'd dump'em.

Why is that so ? well example, three days ago, my landlady told me that I could stay 3 months more. Yesterday, she announced me that I had to go in a week because first we don't share the same values (she loves India and Mantras, I like heavy metal and gore movies. She is 60, I'm less than 20) second, she had planned something about the house a while ago and didn't give me any wind of it. Of course she is saying that if I was listening to mantras and interested in spirituality she'd see things in a different way.

When old people that lived with other values give you that cr** and throw you in such a strait you can't really trust anyone anymore, and you start preferring flings online. this leads to a certain ... selfishness and preclude you from ever trying to help people again since you think they wouldn't do it for you. Basically mistrust brings more mistrust and even more mistrust and everybody is engulfed in it. Nice people are rare anywhere now, and I wouldn't ever try to be one. I would be food for straydogs.
Topic: Climate Change/Global Warming
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2011 10:06:26 AM
What are you talking about ? In this society of us, global warming is not a problem, it's a new business that is going to be worth billions.

Then yes, soon enough, we'll have to buy oxygen masks and pay a fine when we fart coz ... carbon dioxide output won't be free people.

Oh boy I love this world !! ...