Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 5
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Confused about prepositions.
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:38:05 AM
I sometimes have a hard time grasping the difference in meaning between these two sentences, which differ only in the type of preposition:

An analysis "of" some key questions;
An analysis "on" some key questions.

Can anyone explain when one would typically choose one over the other; or are they equivalent?

Cheers.
Topic: Question about elements of a sentence.
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 4:41:40 AM
Every year my university holds a fun fair to collect money which is used to add facilities.
Does "which" refer to "fun fair" or "my university?"

What does "that" refer to, if the sentence is changed to: Every year my university holds a fun fair to collect money that is used to add facilities?

Thanks!
Topic: Sentence Grammar
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 3:46:55 AM
So for this sentence:

"The direction of causality is the other way round from materialistic science, which explains the consequence in terms of a prior cause."

The bolded verb refers to "direction of causality" and not "materialistic science," right?

Really appreciate your help!
Topic: Sentence Grammar
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:47:39 AM
"...is a type of logical disjunction on two operands that results in a value of true..."

Could someone please explain to me why the bolded word "results" is in the singular form? Is it modifying "type" or "logical disjunction?"

Thanks,

:)
Topic: Sentence
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 5:15:39 PM
I was curious about this sentence from an article on the Internet.

"Instead, the goal is to place common words that, when apart, have no real specific value, but when together, have an associative value that make you think of happy things, sad things, specific people or ambition."

Why is the bolded word plural? Should it modify "common words" or "associative value?"

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.