Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 46
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: let it be next month
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 12:54:24 AM
First impulse, native American English speaker. speaking to a friend:

Can we make it in April? Are you free in April? Are you free next month? Can we make it next month? How about next month?
Topic: bound from?
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2013 1:51:25 AM
Well, ya learn somethin' every day.
Topic: bound from?
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2013 10:14:00 PM
As a native American English speaker and sometime ESL teacher (CELTA), I feel bound (Check it out - use as in compelled.) to tell you that I would never say "bound from." I would also never say and loathe hearing ". . . graduated high school/college/whatever." It's bound to and graduated from (unless you are the school) in my world and the world of everyone else I know.
Topic: The unrefined type
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 2:58:28 PM
Thank you again Ruth P!
Topic: to stack up (phrasal verb)
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 7:12:04 PM
Yes to vil and offroad. This is a commonly used expression in informal AE.
How do our sales stack up against last year's?
Topic: How to describe when wine(or anything to drink) got too old
Posted: Saturday, December 3, 2011 3:51:46 PM
Old wine is flat. That means there isn't enough acid left in it. There has to be an acid structure or it is "flat" on your tongue. The balance of acid to fruit has to be there, if there isn't enough fruit, the acid prevails, and the wine goes bad.
In newer wines, they can be "corked," that is an off-flavor that is easily recognizable and results from the bleaching process of cork - when it doesn't work correctly, I believe. There are so few cork trees left we now see composite corks which are stiffer.
I think the Portuguese gov't. has a program in place in protect and maybe grow, more cork trees.
I wrote this in a hurry, but hope it helps.
Topic: Lets use their money !
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:11:00 PM
Congresspeople do pay into SS, but just as everyone else, only up to, I believe it is now $107,000 of their pay. I also believe that that is about to be, or has changed to $110,000. Big deal, as we used to say.
IMO everyone should pay on all of their earnings, and Congress should take a 25% pay cut given the financial state were in and the fact that they have passed laws (or not) which have exacerbated this situation.
Congress is also exempt from the same insider trading laws that the rest of us are subject to, as are the Supreme Court Justices. That needs to be changed. A bill to do so was introduced to the House by two Dems in 2006, the STOCK act - Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge Act - where it has languished since. Gee, I wonder why?
University researchers have shown that Congresspeoples' portfolios outperformed the market by 6% for the House and over 12% for the Senate for the several years studied. They also quietly vote for COLA raises for themselves every year except, I think, the last two or three. When I wrote to Feinstein about complaining about that, she responded that it was "allowed under the Constitution."
Don't get angry, get active, write and call your representatives in Congress and tell them what you think.
Democracy - it's a team sport. But only if the team members speak up.
Topic: Who Do You Write Like?
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2011 3:09:21 PM
I got Stephen King the first time and Cory Doctorow the second.

Topic: Valid though these arguments are widely seen to be in the West
Posted: Friday, November 4, 2011 1:58:52 PM
Yes, it is elegant and well written.
Topic: else or one more
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:02:53 PM
You can say, though it isn't common, "I want to meet you elsewhere." Much more common would be "somewhere else."