Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 73
[0.01% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Is it correct?
Posted: Thursday, June 7, 2012 6:19:25 AM
Romany:

I read your posts with great interest and attention and learn a lot from them. In your last post you have corrected the wrong sentence as:
He is the man some stupid people in the Judiciary wanted to see continue as President.

Would you please tell me if we can replace 'who' with 'whom'? Leaving out who is no doubt correct but inserting 'whom' will make it incorrect or using 'whom' will be correct but redundant.
2. Is 'doncha think' equal to 'don't you think'? It may be a very ordinary expression for you the native speakers but for us it is something unusual.
Topic: Funny Quotes
Posted: Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:05:45 AM
Nice quotes, ShivaApplause

Waiting for Rogermue to add more
Topic: Common sense
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 2:43:27 AM
common sense
Just replace 'common' with 'natural' and you will find the definition of the 'common sense'.
Any action or reaction done in a natural way is done using common sense.
Topic: Is it Grammar, or Not??
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 1:55:14 AM
rogermue:
I think these rules of politeness have now become rules of grammar as they are strictly followed in formal English.

We use
You, he and I
in good sense
You, he and I will help the poor.

And
I, he and you
in bad sense
I, he and you hate the poor.

Am I right?

Topic: Future Tense
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 3:06:26 AM
Hope1 wrote:

Thank you, RuthP, for this terrific letter.

With your permission I will keep it for future reference as a form letter if the need ever arises!

And I would repeat it for myself.

Thank you, RuthP, for this terrific letter.

With your permission I will keep it for future reference as a form letter if the need ever arises
!
Topic: Spoken English
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:10:04 AM
Thank you, Shivanand, for your comments and compliments.
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 12:44:03 AM
Thank you rogermue, leonAzul, dragOnspeaker and yakcal for your useful suggestions. To you, RuthP, I'm really obliged for your indepth analysis and 'ruthless' dissection of my post. I have learnt a lot especially that I must review and preview my post before hitting 'enter' or pressing the button 'post'. I am already envious of a lot of my colleagues here: Romany, thar, RuthP, leonAzul, dragOnspeaker, percivalpecksniff , Hope1, and, of course, rogermue. You all write wonderful English _ effective and convincing. You take pains to help those who want to improve their English, and serve as beacon lights to them. Rogermue, in spite of being a German, seems to me a great lover of English, a devoted teacher and a sincere friend always ready to give some new, novel and intriguing idea.
Love you all.
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 12:06:03 AM
In countries like ours speaking English has become a status symbol. People who can speak English fluently are considered 'affluent, modern and educated'. After the inception of the internet and then the cable tv it became the primery need of everyone who wants to keep abreast of time to learn Englsih. Now people listen and watch English news and movies with interest but fear to speak English. They fear that while speaking English they will make ridiculous mistakes, and others will laugh at them. To encourage such people I tell them: 'Look, you have been speaking your mother tongue for the last so many years, say twenty years and still you cannot claim that you have mastered your first language. Similar is the case with the native Englsih speakers. My friend, PERCI, has been speaking and writing English for the last fifty years, but still, sometimes, he makes mistakes in spellings, in pronunciation and even in sentence construction. So making mistakes while speaking English is not something to be ashamed of. With the passage of time and after sufficient practice you will be able to speak good, fluent and correct English.'
Is my argument correct?
Topic: Slosh him one - familiar expressions for to hit, to strike, to smack ...
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 10:57:10 PM
"I'll hit you so hard your mama will stagger."
OR

"I'll hit you so hard your daddy will forget your name."
can easily be understood.

But
"I'll knock you into the middle of next week"
is quite strange.
After all, why 'the middle of next week' is so hellish and horrible.Think
Topic: Must linking verbs be followed by a noun or adjective?
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 10:41:55 PM
Thank you LeonAzul. Your post has added much to my knowledge also. 'Capula' is the term we don't find in old grammar books.