User Name: prof_question
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 57
[0.01% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Apply or Applied
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 4:47:44 PM
Hello! Could you, please, explain me why we don`t use a Passive form of the verb "to apply" in the following sentense: As we know, going green is a matter of changing attitudes, and this applies to both hotel owners and to guest.
Topic: Past perfect with WHEN
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 6:28:38 PM
Hello! I`ve been told that in compound sentences we should use the Past Simple Tense with conjunction WHEN, especially when it comes to sequence of completed actions, listed in order they happened, like "When the rain started, we left the beach". in this case, how to explain the use of Past Perfect within the following context: The car had gone when I looked into the street? The 1-st part of the sentence refers to the 1-st event in the past in a sequence of events (first, the car went), and the 2-nd refers to the 2-nd event in the past (then, I looked into the street). Therefore, I`m completely lost. And one more example: Had you already left when the trouble started?
Topic: have gone a few times
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 4:36:48 PM
Applause thanks!
Topic: have gone a few times
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 4:11:59 PM
I try to understand how to explain the following use of the construction "have gone" to my students as it`s mentioned within this context: I have gone there a few times. As for me, the most appropriate option would be "have been" instead of "have gone", but I took this sentence from respectable text-book.
Topic: MIND in a continuous use
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 2:59:32 PM
No, it was like this: He was walking and he was minding ....
Topic: MIND in a continuous use
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 10:15:37 AM
Could you help me, please, with the following verb choise within a certain context: He was walking along a country road and minding his own business when he was knocked down and seriously injured by a minivan. I'm being curious, where it`s appropriate to use a continuous verb form of the language unit "mind" when it refers to the meaning "to be engaged in" instead of "to mean"?
Topic: Fine vs Penalty: a contextual word choice
Posted: Monday, June 5, 2017 7:17:11 AM
Hi, could you help me, please? 3 weeks ago I completed my research article on a notion of goodwill and was corrected by the editors on the case of use a particular term "fine" in the context of my statements. It looked like: "One of the conditions of improving of domestic banks` reputation and competitiveness is to provide a legal framework for the assessment of business reputation and determination of goodwill. Therefore, there is a real need for the following step: to increase existing amount of fines, fixed in Art. 1643 of The Code of Administrative Offenses in Ukraine, and add the obligatory compensation for damages in proportion to the economic benefits that the bank has not received as a result of unlawful actions of third parties". I was offered to use a word "penalties" instead of "fines". Is there any ooportunity to proove my word choice? Or is it really inappropriate within the following context?
Thanks in advance Think
Topic: "death harmony of Belfast"
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 4:51:37 PM
Could you help me, please? I still reading the novel and cannot get the meaning of the phrase "death harmony of Belfast" from this context: " The rain falls slow and steady, then gusting, reminding me of Galway when I was a child where Atlantic winds flung broken fronds of seaweed onto the Prom during high tide. Before the death harmony of Belfast seduced me". Does author mean any particular event? Was there any significant historical episode or may be something else?

Thanks in advance Brick wall
Topic: Prom
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 2:40:50 PM
thanks again)))
Topic: Prom
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 12:32:52 PM
thanks thar Applause Applause Applause