Profile: Rusty
About
User Name: Rusty
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 148
[0.01% of all post / 0.04 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: I want to know about Indian Politics !!
Posted: Sunday, March 3, 2013 9:56:11 AM
kkol can you be more specific. We can share our points of view and they might vary radically from each other, but at least you will have an idea of various perspectives through which people look at things.

@Romany come on we do that all the time. I don't remember ever trying to analyse the use of the language in politics, we always discuss politics and share different views. Of course it is a big subject but we can always try.
Topic: Victory Lap
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:13:37 AM
Congratulations President Obama! And congratulations USA!

I am happy that America chose the right man, some of Mr. Romney's views are not worthy of a first world country and I was surprised that he had enough public support to give a tough fight to someone like Obama.

Anyway congratulations once again.
Topic: Is there a stronger emotion than Love?
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 5:43:52 AM
Revenge. I suspect stronger than all other kinds of love put together.
Topic: Bayer and Nexavar
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:03:14 AM
Yeah, they have done that. Though I am sympathetic to the companies because they do indeed incur HUGE costs and years of hardwork for developing drugs, I don't really agree that they are in "the business of making money, not saving lives". Here's a link to give you an idea

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120313/jsp/frontpage/story_15243791.jsp

However, Bayer might still challange the ruling

http://www.hindustantimes.com/business-news/Sectors/Bayer-mulls-challenge-to-India-cancer-drug-ruling/Article1-824680.aspx
Topic: Commonwealth: Remnants of Imperialism?
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012 3:42:06 AM
Before you speak of Kashmir Jeech it would be a good idea if you did a little research on the topic and used unbiased or less biased sources for reference. This is a very touchy topic and both governments have their points of view.

As for refrendum, though I personally am in favour of one and believe its long due, one must also consider that thousands upon thousands of Kashmiri Pandits (A Hindu Caste, the first Prime Minister of India was also a Kashmiri pandit) were forcefully and very violently uprooted from their homeland. They are still living in refugee camps. If you are sympathetic to palestines I think the Pandits deserve your sympathy too.

As for mass graves as in most of the world where there is heavy military presence in a conflict area there are atrocities committed by the military but they are not as bad as your media might make them out to be (not in Kashmir region any way, North east I can't defend but that is for another topic). Besides, unbiased elections are regularly held in Kashmir and people come out in large numbers to vote, it has become safer over the years and there is finally some optimism in respect to the economy. Tourism is flourishing again, infact it has increased dramatically in recent years. Many of the border villages are sympathetic to India to such an extent that the military trains the men and women there and provides them guns for defence, there is actualy an official term for this but I forgot.

As for intolerance, most of the nation is still more sensitive towards the daily inconvenience the people, mainly muslims have to face in their daily lives in Kashmir than the plight of displaced hindus or that of people in North east, in fact our media is VERY sensitive to Kashmiri people's problem and that receives huge coverage with the government and military usually at the receiving end. But I can't imagine stories about atrocities committed on the Pandits in Pakistani media, I might be wrong though. Seperatists regularly hold public meetings not only in Kashmir but recently in New Delhi itself. Seperatists are tolerated, in fact booker prize winner Arundhati Roy (A hindu) even shared the stage with an influential seperatist leader, and no one is crushing or killing them that too when both of us know that our countries are not too keen on defending our right to free speech.

Anyway we went off topic we can discuss Kashmir some other time, just wanted to tell you that as always there are different points of view, and the certainity with which you express your views its better to remember there is always ample scope for error and room for doubt specially with a topic like this.
Topic: Wow! He is famous now.
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:59:59 AM
I don't think a spoilt child is a sign of failed parenting. Children are not little lumps of living tissue that can be moulded in any way the parent wants if only they paid enough attention in upbringing. Children have their own personalities. Ever seen two siblings with entirely opposite personalities? and the similarities in twins that were raised apart? Upbringing is not the only factor that plays a role.

Besides being hormonal is not an excuse for shameful behavior. And just because her father is not hormonal, his heartache doesn't count? How would you feel if your child insulted you in front of his/her friends?

I was very troublesome in my teenage, but a lot of freinds going through same hormonal changes were a lot more disciplined. That really is not an excuse. The use of the gun only showcases the anger and pain he felt on being insulted like that in front of so many people, not by a toddler, but by a fifteen year old who can not only weigh all the pros and cons but deliberately used the internet to vent her feelings. Thats one ungrateful daughter.
Topic: Food Police
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:42:12 AM
Government control scares me. I believe there is already too much of it. And then the government doesn't always do what is best for its citizens.

I believe its a faulty premise that the government knows best and thus should have the authority to decide what its citizens eat. After all pizza is a vegetable for them.

But the argument that parents should be allowed to feed whatever they want to the kids based on the premise that they know best (know what works for their children as someone put it) is even more faulty.

I agree that parents and not the government should have control over their kids meal and lives in general, but what if parents abuse their children? Personally I have no problem with parents sometimes beating their children lightly, but if adults use all their strength to beat children and leave them bloodied with bones sticing out of their skins or even if they beat their children repeatedly without causing any physical injury at all I would want the government to step in.

Repeatedly feeding their children with junk food is a similar abuse, don't you think so? And arguably one that has a lot more far reaching consequences than a light slap on the cheeks every now and then. Shouldn't the government step in to prevent such abuse?

Deciding what parents feed their kids is going too far IMO, but maybe they should have in place some mechanism to check on morbidly obese kids and take corrective action against the parents like they have a mechanism to prevent physical abuse.

Its strange that you people have to worry about your children eating too much and we on the other hands loose thousands because of hunger. Hopefully someday we too will share your worry.
Topic: The Milkywayproblem
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:25:24 AM
Great answer Thar. Your posts are awesome.
Topic: U.S. Citizens Help Stop SOPA and PIPA
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:23:18 AM
Dear Americans, don't let these bills pass. It will set a bad precedent.

Our government is trying to censor social netorking sites and I have a feeling that this is just the begining. Once these kind of bills are passed in America it will only be a matter of time before the Indian government follows suit. They are simply going to point at America to vindicate their stand and unlike in America we won't be able to register our protest here.

This is how they take our freedoms away, slowly chipping off the pieces untill we turn into a police state.
Topic: Winter?
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:31:46 AM
Unbelievable DragOnspeaker, but seems true:

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2012/01/13/weather-forecaster-face-jail-for-wrong-predictions/