User Name: qwerrk
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 11
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: neither
Posted: Sunday, January 6, 2019 3:13:34 PM
Seems okay, though you're juxtaposing 3 items rather than 2. Perhaps the 'nor' could simply be 'or' here.
Topic: Why should it be 'appreciate it' and not just 'appreciate'?
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 2:21:45 PM
Don't know why an "it" would really be needed there. Who, precisely, says it "should"?
I would be more apt to say "I would very much appreciate if...." The "it" is whatever follows and more or less implied in any case, is it not?
Topic: Happy Solstice
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2015 11:59:56 PM
almost missed it
Topic: Could you help me correct the paragraph? (1b)
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 2:49:07 PM
...a lot OF work....

Not "on the other hand" by what you relate, more like "on the SAME hand"

Perhaps replace "And besides,..." with "On top of that,...."

Instances of "there" makes good candidates for re-writes...paragraph (C) had more than one...for this one, how about,,,,

On top of that, his frequent trips to Omaha tend to involve contentious clients and Alan thinks there's a good chance he could find a less stressful banking job in the Aspen market.
Topic: Could you help me correct the paragraph? (1c)
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 2:31:51 PM
The paragraph serves but could be more informative as it leaves much unsaid. It certainly doesn't flow as well as it might. Max & basketball both pop into the mix but then the reader is left to assume it is Max who likes basketball and to wonder how the rather incongruous counting chickens idiom would apply to the situation.

..."he" supports...and no need to hyphenate "one-hundred"....maybe 100%
Topic: Could someone explain this word with examples?
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 12:53:31 PM
Robert Imgrat wrote:
HizCervant wrote:
Sure. The best way to grasp the meaning of ontology is to consider several items: a rock, a dog, a man, and God. They all exist, but each is very different ontologically. They differ primarily in terms of their BEING. A rock just exists but has no life or consciousness. A dog has life but rather limited self awareness and no eternal soul. A man or woman has life, self awareness and an eternal soul. God has within Himself the very power of being.
I hope this helps!

Nearly good. I only disagree with the point that, a dog has life but rather limited self-awareness and no eternal soul. One cannot have a life and no eternal soul. Or, second degree of soul.

Now that my eyes have rolled back to the front of my skull, let me interject that atheists and many of us with mere mortal souls (myself included) are not going to be terribly satisfied with Hiz's stilted definition.

So Hiz, which "God" (god?) are you referring to? Thor? Jesus? Zeus? Mohammed? Godzilla?...I understand there is a really long list. Can we only pick one?

Topic: Please make me understand.
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 12:24:27 PM
Once you start (i.e., take or land the first punch, launch the 1st missile, or participate in any aggression), it's hard to stop as reasoning tends to go out the window. "Cooler heads will prevail" would be an antithetical quote.
Topic: 'eater's coma'
Posted: Tuesday, March 8, 2011 5:32:10 PM
Not definitive but I suspect it basically refers to a nap after consuming more food than good sense would suggest. My son refers to the condition as an onset of "the i-tis" but I have no idea where or how that term arose. :)
Topic: English question
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:49:57 AM
None of those pairings fit in either of your categories.

You're welcome. q
Topic: (Non)Accelerated Oil
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 12:04:15 PM
It seems a misuse of the term but it may have to do with temperature control of the oil bath.

A brief explanation would be in order:

A tank of quenching oil is commonly used to cool down metal forgings during tempering operations. Often there is a precise tempering schedule that must be followed, an example would be something like:

Hold forging at 1900F for 2 hours
Cool to 1500F over a 1 hour period
Hold at 1500F for 4 hours
Cool to room temp at a rate of 100degF/hour

By controlling how hot and for how long, various properties can be imparted to the forged metal alloy.

So it may be that an "accelerated oil" bath has temp-control (heating/cooling controls of some sort) which would allow faster ("accelerated") cooling while a "non-accelerated oil" bath would be a bath that is uncontrolled and allowed to fluctuate. A "non-accelerated" cooling bath would be acceptable when precise cooling rates are not needed and cooling rate variability would have no adverse effect on final material properties.....maybe :)