User Name: KAMRAMNA
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 35
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: False Friends
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 11:47:27 AM
I encountered the false friends phenomenon many years ago in Thailand. When I first arrived some of what I considered regular English was met with giggling and raised eyebrows. Once I became aware of the false friend quirk I many times had to remind my company that, "I'm speaking English not Thai". The Thai language is replete with FFs ... as I suspect are many other Southeast Asian languages.
Topic: We drink one another's health and spoil our own.
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 11:32:18 AM
Drinking, health and have-nots ... all intertwined. The important thing to keep in mind is "moderation" yes it is true ... I speak from painful and luckily past experience. Drink too much ... not good ... its also my opinion!!!
Topic: Silence gives the proper grace to women.
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 12:32:57 PM
Wow!!! Advanced members abound ... yet all took this gem of words to mean that the female's silence is the object. Maybe not, Dark Moon might be on the right track. Its our silence as men (observers) that is the key to women's grace. My opinion.
Topic: I know that everything beautiful attracts love, but I cannot see how, by reason of being loved, that which is loved for its...
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 12:05:41 PM
Great comments! I believe jb is correct, sometimes its just not meant to be. I also believe Miguel was referring to a sentient love, of some sort, not trees. Hey, what do I know ... maybe your trees love you back. Also its been my experience that when the "beautiful" object of our love knows she is "beautiful" watch out!!! I think the word is unrequited.
Topic: Star Trek Premiers (1966)
Posted: Saturday, September 8, 2012 10:26:11 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong (or just take more points), the perfered term is "trecker(s)" over treckkie(s).
Topic: hombre
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 11:00:33 AM
Great comments! Seems odd how American English contorts and corrupts other languages. In French "madame" means woman, we've turned it into female pimp. Hombre too; means "man" in Spanish ... here its bozo! Neat trick ..
Topic: No man is offended by another man's admiration of the woman he loves; it is the woman only who can make it a torment.
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2012 1:12:30 PM
Jane is correct! In all my travels I have seen many a woman worthy of some type of admiration; I never tell her ... I tell her companion (if she is accompanied) how lucky they are.
Topic: Belladonna, n.: In Italian a beautiful lady; in English a deadly poison. A striking example of the essential identity of the...
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2012 11:36:49 AM
I may be in error, as I frequently am, but isn't Ambrose just a little off his mark here. Its the same word. Maybe he was unaware of its origin. I know shat he means to say. He should have chose a different word as his example ... my opinion.
Topic: All violence, all that is dreary and repels, is not power, but the absence of power.
Posted: Sunday, July 1, 2012 10:58:56 AM
Sounds good ... but in My Opinion its a bunch of malarkey. And Daemon, please don't take points from me for expressing MY opinion. Thank you!
Topic: Hugo Pratt (1927)
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 12:10:18 PM
..Why pray tell is the discussion forum for the "Quote of the Day" NOT accessible??? Hey "big brother"... you out there?