User Name: etrusca
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 509
[0.05% of all post / 0.14 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: PROBLEMS OF TRANSLATION OF ARTISTIC TEXTS from Cultural Differences
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 4:30:16 AM
Well, I'm a translator. I can say that translation has to be a creation, otherwise it would be sufficient Google translator for solve the issue. To be a translator means to be able to think in the language you are working to. Sometimes my dreams are in English. Reading is the best help for a translator, every kind of books will help, but the magic for doing it well is enjoing the task. If you like to be a translator you'll be a good one. I don't think there can be some techiques for extracting essence of a written text other than human interpretation and sensibility.
Topic: 2021
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2020 1:48:43 PM
Buon 2021!
Topic: What year is it?
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2020 9:15:42 AM
Yes Romany you said well, they have "ignorant empty heads". This aberration will not end in short time, but it's unavoidable that it'll finish, because history takes its time, but every cicle (mad as it can be) has his capitulation.
Topic: Translate
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2020 5:50:40 PM
In Italian could be "obiettivo" when it is an achievement and "rete" when it is a score in soccer.
Topic: spaghetti bolognese
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 4:11:21 AM
raymondaliasapollyon wrote:
Audiendus wrote:
With regard to tautophile's post:

I subconsciously parse "macaroni cheese" with "cheese" as the main noun and "macaroni" as the modifier, because when two nouns are placed together the first normally modifies the second. But I agree that it makes more sense to regard "macaroni" as the main noun, since macaroni is the main ingredient.

How do you pluralize "macaroni cheese" and "spaghetti bolognese"?

Spaghetti is already plural. You eat a dish of spaghetti, and every spaghetto has to be well detached from the others.
Topic: I Wonder
Posted: Sunday, November 8, 2020 12:23:12 PM
Hi Foundit, I'm Italian and sometime I can't understand the real meaning of some posts, so for this reason I have to ask to you if you are unsatisfied with the election results. I ask because this elections interested me very much and I would like to know what US people think. I know there are the media, but sometime I have found more esplicative answers in this forum.
Topic: The orange idiot
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 2:59:00 PM
Romany I think you have a point.
Topic: Scientists may have finally pinpointed humanity's ancestral hometown
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2019 2:35:29 PM
I don't worry about the pronunciation, but the article is very interesting. I too heard the news and, as all the things that we'll never know for sure, I thought it to be very interesting.
Topic: Sorry to say, but...
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 9:54:50 AM
I think rnjb is kidding
Topic: Words for the Wise
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2019 3:07:00 PM
FounDit your vision is better than mine (decisively more optimistic), so I choose it.