Profile: ginchou
About
User Name: ginchou
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 12
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: how to say "to make the happen time of some event earlier than scheduled"
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:19:29 AM
thank you all, that really help me a lot. now i have a second option when i want to convey that meaning. "bring forward" and "expedite" "pull forward" seem good to me.
Topic: how to say "to make the happen time of some event earlier than scheduled"
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:57:39 AM
hello all,
if i want to advance the happen time of some activity, is it right to say like this "please pull in the xxx(eg.delivery) date",

thanks for reading.
Topic: most commonly used dic by native speakers?
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 8:50:20 PM
can someone recommend a dic to me? accurately defined, compact (better if it can be put into pocket Angel )

Topic: can someone here help me to translate this into Chinese?
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:34:42 PM
all posts for this topic are greatly appreciated. that really helps me a lot or at least offer me clues leading me to the right answer..
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:47:07 PM
"from time to time" is used to modify "investment" or the "representing"?
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:33:32 PM
Casper wrote:
Cóng tóuzī de dàibiǎo bùshí yǐ zhíxíng yóu wēilián bèiěr 1810 nián 7 yuè 18 hào, jiāng gòuchéng yīgè xìntuō jījīn, juānzèng jǐ jījīn huì qìyuē chēng wèi bèiěr jījīn.

从投资的代表不时以执行由威廉贝尔1810年7月18号,将构成一个信托基金,捐赠给基金会契约称为贝尔基金。

I hope this is fine. I asked my friend for some help because I only know basic Chinese. and this one is mandarin. the pin yin is the simplified version not the traditional characters (used in calligraphy.)

thank you so much. Angel
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 1:58:28 AM
The investments from time to time representing the endowment given by deed of foundation
executed on 18 July 1810 by William Bell shall constitute a trust fund called the Bell Fund.

can someone please help me to paraphrase this sentence? or if you know Chinese, it will be great to rewrite with Chinese.

any advice is welcome. thanks ahead..
Topic: can someone here recommend me a web site for improving english communication skills?
Posted: Friday, December 3, 2010 2:21:05 AM
hi, i want to know the most often used words & phrases in daily communication context, like routine greetings. those very basic are no use to me, i need something much more formal. if there is a electronic book, that will be very great. thanks ahead.
Topic: Using numbers in words
Posted: Friday, December 3, 2010 1:56:04 AM
i just want to say Arabic is crazy. i can not imagine that these words are legible, because it seems to me that they are all connected and have no independent component.
Topic: translate: "white widowed male"
Posted: Friday, December 3, 2010 1:32:55 AM
catskincatskin wrote:
My level of Chinese is far from high enough to translate English into Chinese. That said, brainstorming for "white widowed male," in order to keep the alliteration and rhythm of the original, " 鳏夫白肤男子" would be worth entertaining. Or just "鳏夫白肤" as that only refers to males, then "的坦白" would add to the repetition of sounds.

(Edit: Huh. On second thought: 白肤的鳏夫的坦白)

Your translation seems solid, but, to answer your question, it doesn't sound playful to me like the English does.

i agree with this translation. to make a good translation from the source language to the target, we must stick to the principle that make the loss of meaning as less as possible. an rhetorical device is employed in construction of "white windowed male" ---as posted by catskincatskin---alliteration(押头韵) though his translation seems odd in daily use but it at least considers the rhetoric while translated to its Chinese equivalent.