User Name: Phillip B
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 16
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: On the verge of being sick
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 12:46:15 PM
failing, faltering, regressing, sickly, weak, worsening. This is the list of antonyms under the word 'convalescent'
Topic: How do you study?
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 12:34:01 PM
On my Palm Treo Pro smartphone, I have Merriam-Webster's unabridged dictionary from Paragon software; and I use it every single day. A nice feature is that you can save words in a 'flashcard' section of the software and quiz yourself anytime on the new words until you can recall the definitions easily... The last thing I do before bed is take a flashcard quiz or two.Angel If you hear or read a word that you do not understand, the best method (according to Dr. Charles Harrington Elster) is to immediately look up the word. BTW, I recommend all of his books!
Topic: Euphemisms for Dying
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:55:47 PM
bites the dust Pray
Topic: what us this meaning?
Posted: Tuesday, January 4, 2011 8:02:07 AM
Ludic, I'm glad you like it! The derivation of the interpretation is based on past studies of Aristotle, his teacher Plato, and Plato's mentor Socrates, mixed with the collective responses from you and the others here within this topic.
Posted: Monday, January 3, 2011 10:17:24 AM
After learning from the manifold, not to mention wonderfully insightful, comments, I have listed the full quote followed by an updated interpretation:

"Humor is the only test of gravity, and gravity of humor; for a subject which will not bear raillery is suspicious, and a jest which will not bear serious examination is false wit."
-- Aristotle

Any ostensibly serious subject which can not be made light of during the various stages of it's contemplation with an injection of levity is a baseless subject discussed by fools, and jocosity which is not based on the truth should be classified as sarcasm, rendering the purveyor of the offensive drollery vunerable to attack due to the malicious intent embedded within his cacology.

Posted: Monday, January 3, 2011 2:33:53 AM
Thanks for your reply Ludic. You mentioned that "the purpose of humor is never to taint or critisize, unless it has a malicious intent." This statement confuses me, so for gramatical puposes, let's change the word 'never' to 'occationally' due to the conditional conjuction 'unless' contained within the phrase. We can then go a step further and classify this newly discovered variation of humor, which is embedded with malicious intent, as 'type b humor' or possibly even 'false wit?'

Please tell me about the occations when malicious intent is embedded within humor, should it be considered humor, type b humor, or false wit? If a person is being 'laughed at' as you say, is the person being subjected to humor, type b humor, or false wit? If a person is 'derided' as you say, is the person again being subjected to humor, type b humor, or false wit?
Posted: Sunday, January 2, 2011 7:46:01 PM
ludic wrote:
first off, the second half of the sentence elucidates the first part : note the 'for'.

now, this is how I interpret the quotation :

some one that is deep and solemn does not get easily provocated and bears criticism with grace, because they are wise and know deep inside that what is true and right cannot be tainted by anyone's criticism or gibes.

while those who are facile and shallow or hold such views lose their cool and plunge themselves into proving the critics wrong; they can't stand raillery and with them often banter turns into a heated argument.

Hello Ludic, you have a very interesting point of view on this subject. I must admit that the colorful personality types discribed within your interpretation seem quite surreal to me. That simple fact has promted me to submit a few questions to you for clarification, if you would be so kind to indulge me with answers...

1. Does one who is 'deep and solemn' have a sense of humor?
2. Does one who is 'facile and shallow' have a sense of humor?
3. Is the purpose of humor always to taint or criticise?
Posted: Saturday, January 1, 2011 9:29:00 PM
bethm wrote:
Now that's a really good post - answering the question but also informing everybody like me! Welcome, Philip B.

Thanks Bethm!! Dancing Others may have better interpretations of the text, but it was still an absolute pleasure to have my brain picked by Prince. Applause
Posted: Saturday, January 1, 2011 11:59:08 AM
The end of the quote is this: and a jest which will not bear serious examination is false wit.
Aristotle

To answer the first part of your question... No, the two thoughts are supporting the single premise that only humor can truly test the validity of a serious idea. Now, with the extended ending of the quote, there are two subjects which deal with constituting the validity of reactions between humor and gravity. I had to go to Yahoo Answers for the full meaning of this one:

Credit goes to the user Tashing A...

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Note: The word Gravity can be interchanged with seriousness.
Humor is the only thing that can defy seriousness/gravity and seriousness/gravity is the only test of humor because a subject that cannot withstand a joke is suspicious and a joke that cannot withstand examination is lame.
Topic: Is reading her emails Hacking?
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 9:18:04 AM
Laws in America seem to be a bit off balance. If someone can get put in jail for 5 years as a result of surreptitiously reading a spouse's email, then I would think that 10 years of jail time sounds about right for having sexual intercourse with someone other than a lawful spouse. I don't really think that way, it's just a way to shed light on how overly harsh some punishments are for certain crimes in comparison to more serious crimes that have lighter penalties.
If I were the judge in this case, I would be hardpressed not to reward the man for his fantastic detective work which resulted in the ousting of his whorish wife and keeping his daughter safe by saving her from the hands of a dangerous man!