Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:20:17 PM
It's also used like this:

"Oh and if I had a brain, oh and if I had a brain
I'd be cold as a stone and rich as the fool
That turned all those good hearts away."

BIRDY - PEOPLE HELP THE PEOPLE
Topic: Treat
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 4:07:34 PM
Nanou, in what context do you wish to understand the word "treat"?
Topic: "Wish"
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 12:37:25 AM
"Chatting" face to face or online?

If online, maybe he's not a native English speaker?
Topic: Questions without changing the word order
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 1:50:08 PM
Also, for example:

"He's a cop."

"He's a cop?"

As IMR said, there is a question of emphasis and this is quite a nuanced area.

Non-native speakers seem to use this kind of construction more often than native speakers - and not necessarily in contexts where we would use it.
This may be because it is easier - or because structuring a question in this way is more common in other languages.

Topic: as the whim takes you/ mince in time with a girl
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 3:57:37 AM
As the whim takes you - as you feel you would like to - as you desire to - as you wish to.

A whim is a desire or a fancy - the idea being that these enthusiasms sweep us along.
They "take us," in other words, making us stop and start when we wish - to dance to the beat of our own drum.

Mincing is a kind of effeminate walk.

This excerpt does date Robert Louis Stevenson!
Girls have thankfully been striding along as the whim takes them for quite some time now..
Topic: What's Is The Best Book Set For Teaching English?
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:02:37 PM
Macmillan, the publishing company, creates very good language teaching resources for all ages.

As well as excellent text books (many with audio) they also have an ESL website:

http://www.onestopenglish.com/
Topic: Please help me
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 1:57:28 AM
Try looking for
"Michigan Womyn's Music Festival" on YouTube.
There are a lot of links.
The Wikipedia article "Womyn," states that this feminist spelling of "women" was coined in 1975 for the music festival.

Topic: Can anybody give me the context??
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2011 5:21:43 AM
mokchhya, it is quite hazy, isn't it!

NM starts by answering a question about other people, then he goes on to talk about mirrors.
Perhaps the idea that we all reflect each other as mirrors, goes some way towards an explanation of his meaning.

Self and other: Image and mirror: mirror and image.
Topic: Can anybody give me the context??
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2011 1:46:07 AM
Quoted from the teachings of Nisargadatta Maharaj:

Question: By meeting people and watching them, one comes to know oneself also. It goes together.

Maharaj: It does not necessarily go together.

Q: One improves the other.

M: It does not work that way. The mirror reflects the image, but the image does not improve the mirror. You are neither the mirror nor the image in the mirror. Having perfected the mirror so that it reflects correctly, truly, you can turn the mirror round and see in it a true reflection of yourself — true as far as the mirror can reflect. But the reflection is not yourself — you are the seer of the reflection. Do understand it clearly — whatever you may perceive you are not what you perceive.

Q: I am the mirror and the world is the image?

M: You can see both the image and the mirror. You are neither. Who are you? Don’t go by formulas. The answer is not in words. The nearest you can say in words is: I am what makes perception possible, the life beyond the experiencer and his experience.
Now, Can you separate yourself both from the mirror and the image in the mirror and stand completely alone, all by yourself?

Q: No, I cannot.

Are you are looking for a way to include the quote in a piece of fiction? Or an essay?
Topic: Is this sentence correct ?
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:48:04 PM
Couldn't resist....Drool