User Name: bethm
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 105
[0.01% of all post / 0.03 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: amid(st)
Posted: Friday, February 4, 2011 11:18:23 AM
Think of the sound made if you read the sentence aloud. (For many people that is exactly what happens when reading silently: you hear the words in your mind.)

To my mental ear, amidst the sands has too much spitty stumbling in it. (Digression: Which cartoon cat made the thwthst sound all the time? Snagglepuss? Sylvester? And Bill the cat in Bloom County, though I don't think I ever heard him aloud.) Say midst-the a few times and you'll hear it. Amid the sands avoids the stth.

Topic: Who could give me some advice?
Posted: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 10:24:26 AM
I don't know what kind of book reviews you want... academic? like an assignment in a university literature class? or popular? informative, for the reader of the review to know whether he will like the book? or did you want a site about writing book reviews??

For general informativeness and definitely the widest coverage in the world, I use Amazon. Each book will have a "review" by the publisher telling what they say the book is about. Then, most books will have reviews posted by individuals (just as we post here on TFD!). Amazon's feature of "reviews by real people" is one of its greatest attractions, and significantly influenced the evolution of user expectations for web sites.

www.amazon.com - I hope you can access this! Good luck to you!
Topic: word 'guys'
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 12:02:00 PM
it can, but we don't have to like it...
Topic: A job interview in a foreign language... have you got any advice?
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 6:29:19 PM
wonderful! congratulations! we knew you could do it!

Applause Applause Applause
Topic: how to do a good translation????
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 1:03:35 PM
First and most important: RELAX. I know that sounds impossible, but try this.

It's a week away. I'm sure you're already studying and practicing like crazy. Take a little time for yourself - it really will help you think more clearly and easily when the exam comes.

Take hot bubble baths. Go for walks. Read plays in French, English, whatever you can - not just the kinds of plays your exams cover, but everything, just getting the flow in your head. Listen to music. Talk to people - friends, people in stores and restaurants, everyone - and just translate a few phrases here and there in your mind - not perfectly, not difficult things, just sort of an echo. Listen to radio or watch a little TV in English - not high drama but rather sitcoms, cartoons, mindless stuff. RELAX!

Let us know how it goes - remember, now you have many friends at TFD and we will be praying and sending good wishes to you!
Topic: bring somebody’s gray hairs (with sorrow) to the grave
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 12:11:50 PM
vil wrote:
Would you tell me whether the phantasmal expression in bold in the following sentences is still existing in the contemporary English?

bring somebody’s gray hairs (with sorrow) to the grave = to weary someone to death; lead someone into the grave prematurely

Hmm that's a good question vil. I've never heard anyone use the expression aloud. I do read a lot and I would never be surprised to see it in a book. Maybe a book (or story, whatever) written in an aggressively modern style, lots of snappy dialog, maybe a crime thriller, something like that wouldn't use this phrase. So I guess I'd infer it's not a super contemporary expression, and not used in AE oral speech, but not obsolete or archaic in writing.

I'll stop rambling now, I'm sure I'm creating more confusion than we started with! :P
Topic: the word 'curds'
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 2:50:50 PM
ludic wrote:
When I was little, I always used to get confused between 'Little Miss Muffet' and 'Little Jack Horner'
Angel

He stuck in his thumb,
and pulled out a spider...

nope, doesn't scan.
Topic: About American food
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 10:49:44 AM
Alias wrote:
pies and pasties, deep fried greasy chips, fat soaked blobs of slippery battered South African frozen fish and watery, sludgy, overcooked scoops of insipid cauliflower and carrots.

And of course the obligatory helpings of sticky buns sugary glazed donuts and lashings of Coca F*%#*ing Cola!!

OK Alias, stop, you're making me salivate!
Topic: In Praise of Winter
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:45:13 PM
hwnn, here's someone else who enjoys winter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdJcYTh1rP0&feature=player_embedded
Topic: Sentence correction
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 4:33:17 PM
blahblah wrote:

JJ wrote: When I was very, very young I was just a look in my father's eyes ;-)

Rama wrote: Couldn't we say "when I was very very young I was just a twinkle in my Father's eyes" or the latter is only used for occasions before birth???

Agree with you, Rama. I've never heard anyone say, "I was just a look in my father's eyes."
The expression is usually, "I was just a twinkle in my father's eyes."

Rama: Yes, the "twinkle in the father's eyes" expression does refer to before birth. Nine months before, to be precise. Angel